My Heart and Prayers are with Paris & with the Forum People Who are Safe!!!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Diane

Re: My Heart and Prayers are with Paris & with the Forum People Who are Safe!!!

Post by Diane »

What words can you use? But thank God our forum friends were safe.
Cate

Post by Cate »

Paris is far away but it feels close. I'm so glad that the forum members are safe. I can't imagine how terrifying that night must have been and I'm glad to see how strong the people of France are.
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
holydove

Post by holydove »

Great video, Christelle!! Thank you for posting the link here.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so frustrated because this same thing has been happening here. When I click on a link that's been provided, I just go to a blank screen. Nothing else. That's what happened with this, so I've no idea what it's of.

Odd. I've just discovered that this happens when I come in here via the Files. When I click on my dropdown link for the Forum, the link goes through. Such a fitting video. Thanks, John Oliver! Thanks, Christelle.

And posted by Habie on Facebook, this is perfect, too! As she said, "Homage" ~ https://www.facebook.com/sam.kalidi/vid ... 292001622/
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
anny

Post by anny »

Thank you Lizzie for sharing...I'm still shocked but glad that our forum members are safe...I hope that they have the support they need after this trauma...my thoughts are with them and everybody involved.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Rather than watch someone with his obscene ranting on TV in one of the links, please watch and listen to Antoine Leiris who so sadly lost his wife Helene in the Bataclan theatre in Paris. As my friend just said to me "I am in awe of this man's amazing dignity, courage and emotional intelligence" I cannot express it any better.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34862437?SThisFB
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion, as it happens this 'obscene ranting' expresses exactly my feelings
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

There is no reason to watch only one or the other.
There are plenty of reasons to watch both.
Both of these links are valid for processing what has happened to France and the French and other people in the process.
We all grieve differently, and ANGER is one of the stages of grieving. Defiance can naturally follow, especially as jihadists threaten more to come in your dear city and country, and others around the world, as well.

Thanks for sharing the link, Vicomte. I'll go watch it now... but I stopped short when I saw your comment leading with "Rather than... " No one can tell anyone, much less people who have been directly impacted by colossal tragedy HOW they should deal with it. I'm not even there and, the portion of the brain [amygdala?] that is satisfied through profanity was satisfied as I watched. Sometimes, there are NO other words that will work. There just aren't.

The husband here has likely already experienced his own ANGER stage... or may later. It's just that we're not seeing it recorded. He, too, may find satisfaction in watching John Oliver's commentary.

There are many videos emerging that are worth watching. I watched this and he is, indeed, noble in all he says. Leonard said [in effect or exact], "There's no safe place to stand in a massacre." There's no single, right way to grieve one, either.
~ Oscar Wilde
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Who said there was no reason to watch one or the other, one was obscene and totally sickening and I stick with that. You say valid for what has happened, well how the hell does anyone come up with saying that and hope to make it sound sensible. Don't speak from the States and tell the people in France how they feel, you have no idea.
The chap on American TV wasn't grieving he was just shouting out like he was some kind of hard man and his obscene shouts might suit his nature but to me and mine it was just stupid rants.

Don't tell me what to say, or what to think. So who do you know that was directly impacted by this colossal tragedy? This obscene out pouring should have been done here by your thinking but the French have their own way of dealing with this, yes some will show anger but far more rational. There are other words but not the pathetic anger that your chap showed. All he did was make ISIS happy by his outrage. We were all terribly upset here, we don't need some unknown fool to offer false grievance to us here.

You heard a Frenchman speaking in English with the widowed mans words in French, he could have said it all in French but it would have had no impact on may others around the World. How dare you think this wonderful human being might have found satisfaction in John Oliver's vile rant, are you so crazy as to think this most gentle Frenchman would ? Unbelievable, at the very time he would have been feeling so sad, so empty, this would have been the time, if he was of the same nature as Oliver, that he would have ranted but he didn't, he offered his own sincere beliefs, something that Oliver should study but that will never happen, just another gung ho yank TV reporter (apologies to the few who might be better)

If anything Cohen fans ought to be, by the very nature of Leonard, far more onside with Antoine Leiris than Oliver!
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Vicomte wrote:... please watch and listen to Antoine Leiris who so sadly lost his wife Helene in the Bataclan theatre in Paris...
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Vicomte. It was deeply moving. M. Leiris' eloquence and sentiments reflect the remarkable endurance of the human spirit, even in the wake of such a terrible personal tragedy.

Perhaps the words of Robert Burns are applicable as a more general reaction to the atrocities committed in Paris last week:

...Many and sharp the num'rous ills
Inwoven with our frame!
More pointed still we make ourselves,
Regret, remorse, and shame!
And man, whose heav'n-erected face
The smiles of love adorn, -
Man's inhumanity to man
Makes countless thousands mourn!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm sorry to see so much anger evoked in you, Vicomte. Your own outrage at me speaks to feelings of outrage related to these very events.
In fact, I did not tell you what to watch or how to feel. What I did was suggest to you that it doesn't have to be an either/or situation, and that everyone has a right to grieve as they will ~ however that might be. I dare say that this man's reaction is in the minority. Others have been expressing rightful defiance, however... refusing to let the jihadists ruin their ways of life. If John Oliver is expressing what others are feeling, too, then that is between John Oliver and those others. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't. You have no more right to tell other people in France how to feel than I do; however, it appears to me that you are the one who is telling people [in France or elsewhere] how to react.

I'm not sure how it is you feel we in the U.S. have no words to offer on this. We went through September 11th here. We've suffered other homegrown terrorism here. On September 11th, the French offered the words that were to the effect of "We are the United States." At this time, many in the U.S. feel, "We are France." France, Britain, and the U.S. are the closest allies when it comes to combating terrorism. Similar threats are being made by ISIS regarding Washington, D.C. and New York City. Who knows how it will all end. This crisis has many layers.

What I can see as I listen to the man in your video and read his words is that he is a man of faith/spirituality. He speaks to seeing his wife again and in a place where the Jihadists will never be able to go. That suggests a heaven/hell dichotomy, or at least a spiritual dichotomy. Many in Europe are atheist, however, and at least some of those atheists don't believe in an afterlife of any kind. Christians and people of other faiths often tend to fall back on their faith, which gives them hope... and, through that hope, they can make it through the terribly turbulent times. For at least atheists or people who don't believe in an afterlife, the deaths of their loved ones is seen and felt as final... no hope of ever seeing their loved one, again, anytime or anywhere. Their loss is felt as forever. Someone in that position would not be able to make such a tape in the way that this man did.

In grief and anger, feelings are raw for most people. The profanity can bring relief to feelings of powerlessness. There is research on this showing that cursing, particularly vile cursing, serves a helpful purpose.

I know people who were at least peripherally impacted by the horrific events in Paris. Fortunately, I don't know that I know anyone who was killed or injured. I still have legitimate feelings of my own regarding these events and the jihadists who committed them. I've spent time in Paris, I know people who live there, and every flight I take anywhere raises feelings of discomfort regarding the possibilities, however remote they may be. Our world is very small, Vicomte. Who knows how John Oliver may be connected with people who experienced this event. Many people know many people, and especially those in the entertainment industry. Whether or not we actually knew a direct victim, we are still all connected. And many of us think and feel globally.
~ Oscar Wilde
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Oh for goodness sake, don't patronise me, my outrage came without any hint of vileness or obscenities. I am angry that fools like this Oliver chap get support. It is so typical of the Americans to play the hard man and throw abuse at ISIS which this idiot Oliver didn't have the sense to realise that is exactly the reaction ISIS hope to get. Antoine Leiris knew this and he showed them how they will never get to him.

Why do you offer such a very long post back, much of which is not even one bit relative. We all know you had 9/11, in England and all over the World they have seen terrorism.Yes there many people here in Europe who are atheists, it is a shame there are not a lot more in the World. I doubt Oliver knew anyone, if he had I am sure we would have been told somewhere in his rant
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

There's a big difference between the links -
One is unlikely to induce much other than empathic sadness, lots of compassion, tears and maybe just a little anger.That's all healthy and helps us.
The other , with its painful overuse of the F word, is more likely to evoke much more anger, which is fair enough.It's also fair to use humour to comment on horror , though some may find that uncomfortable
The problem is it may also evoke hatred, and hatred generalised and directed way beyond the perpetrators and the organisation that corrupted them. We all know that could be dangerous. The Oliver You Tube video already has nearly 5 million hits. The horrifying bit is that videos like that may stir up dangerous rascist/ anti islam feelings in a proportion of those viewers.Even a small proportion of 5 million is a lot of people . I am unfamiliar with Mr oliver's work- just wish he had taken a different line on this.
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Kush

Post by Kush »

John Oliver is awesome. I listen to almost every episode of Last Week Tonight. You should too. Lot of wisdom in his shows - he picked up where Jon Stewart stopped.

The folks who hijack a religion and perpetrate this kind of tragic events in Paris and two days prior in Beirut (41 killed by two suicide bombers in residential area(s)) are clearly as described by Mr. Oliver.

Dolly Parton wrote this song in the wake of 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xdoxc_53A

Return to “News”