New book: LC - Still The Man

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Geoffrey

Re: New book: LC - Still The Man

Post by Geoffrey »

jarkko wrote:Looking forward to comments from someone who has seen the book.
it seems the original book cover has been slightly altered, and now boasts an 'UNOFFICIAL' stamp. an unofficial biography will, of course, always sound more attractive than an official one - gives the impression of being less censored. the first image here is from 'leonard cohen files', the second from 'cohencentric'. i hope those of you who have placed an order receive the version you like best.
Attachments
covers.jpg
leonardthecat

Post by leonardthecat »

I got the book a few days ago. Glad it was cheap.
Same old stuff and photo's.
Coming to a bargain bin near you very soon.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

leonardthecat wrote:I got the book a few days ago. Glad it was cheap.
Same old stuff and photo's.
Coming to a bargain bin near you very soon.
I more or less agree with that.This is mainly a book of photographs ( high quality) with relatively little text and what text there is is neither illuminating for anyone likely to look at this forum , nor particularly well written.For those who don't know much about LC ( and there are many :shock: ) it is - perhaps -OK as an introduction.
On the positive side , it is physically well produced , printed on good quality paper , is already at a bargain basement price , and , sometimes a positive , can be consumed during a lazy afternoon without the need for much in the way of intellectual effort. I'm sure our friend Geoffrey would see that as advantageous given his last remark in this thread!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

My copy of the book arrived on Friday. 9,50 eur including postage (from Adlibris). It bears the "Unofficial" stamp, too, so it's obvious that the cover has been edited between the advance announcement and the printing. I will update the cover photo at the Files.
Nice design and representative selection of photos (coming from various photo agencies) but nothing new for us who have a lot of previous books. This works as a short and cheap introduction to LC for beginners.

-- This thread has been edited and the non-topic messages moved to viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36187
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Some of the photographs are very fine indeed - for example the one on page 8/9 !
The best aspects of the book are the photographs and the short , well chosen, quotes - usually from Leonard- that begin each short chapter.

Thanks for cleaning this thread , and also for keeping the less 'on topic' posts in a new thread only accessible to members. A good compromise between total liberalism and censorship.
A post of mine which was re-positioned advised that the book can easily be bought for under £5 in the UK .
At that price it is well worth buying
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
depe

Post by depe »

I received this book at the week-end. Fairly well produced and lots of pictures of Leonard through the years, but nothing I didn't already know, so probably a bit disappointing overall.
Weybridge, Lille, O2, Wembley, O2, Brighton, Dublin, O2, Rotterdam
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Have a look at this thread, too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36190&p=355131#p355131
(A photo of Marianne in the book shows an unidentified woman who just visited the island).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I received my book today. Very nice pictures of Leonard, and I like that photo on page 8/9 also David. I wonder how many more will be printed. Not much more information to be had of Leonard really, unless as he told Dr.HGuy 'Maybe he will write his autobiography'
Now that would be a 'must read'.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sandra Tenanten

Post by Sandra Tenanten »

This seems like it would be amazing. Is there a Kobo version?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

French translation of Irwin's book will be published on September 29.
Publisher: Editions de l'Imprévu
Collection : LEGENDES DU ROCK
ISBN-13: 979-102950682
128 pages
Dominique Boile has got a review copy of the book and reports that the text has been updated with "You Want It Darker" and Leonard's death.

Note that this cover does not have the "UNOFFICIAL" stamp that was added to the original English edition in 2015 (the status of this book has not changed!!)

Return to “News”