Loser on the Moon: On Leonard Cohen, Fandom, and Posterity

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Ziyad

Loser on the Moon: On Leonard Cohen, Fandom, and Posterity

Post by Ziyad »

Please read this wonderful article by Kevin Mandel, an author, about what Leonard Cohen means to those of us with the GENE, that is those who he means an incredible amount to (most of us on this forum), and why Leonard's legacy is so important to us (though apparently not to Leonard himself). Much of the article resonates with me though I was lucky to find I had the Leonard GENE as a teenager in the mid-70's. Interestingly there are 2 comments at the end of the piece, of which one is by Julie Christensen. Enjoy!

http://www.themillions.com/2015/01/lose ... erity.html
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
lizzytysh

Re: Loser on the Moon: On Leonard Cohen, Fandom, and Posteri

Post by lizzytysh »

Terrific article and I loved Julie's own comments on herself and Leonard.
Very interesting.
I appreciate the writer trying to sort it all.
Thanks for sharing this Ziyad! I loved your comments, too; especially, that when you met him he was everything you wanted him to be. That, in itself, says so much!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
abby

Post by abby »

This was such a pleasure to read! There is a person in the world who wrote an essay on Leonard Cohen & titled one section What We Talk About When We Talk About Leonard Cohen, like Raymond Carver. I wish the writer were a woman.

We should all be writing such essays about Leonard in our style. I love the posts here that are that, though over the years we seem to engage less deeply than we used to. Or I do- one of the consequences of life in the world.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Kindky allow me to share some thoughts with you.

He cares a lot, as completely as possible, while doing something, he cares of what is under his control.

What happens after is not under his control. Why should he care ? How can he care ?

I call this wisdom.

I guess that if you want to grow a garden, and if you devote all your energy to each task in due time, you have the best chances of success. Wasting your energy to try to grow a garden in a space that does not exist (future), not knowing the parameters within doing the correct moves, this is much more hazardous. The only time that we have to work in is the present time. The only ground that we have to work in is our reality. Truth travels time very comfortably. Well cared of in any "present time", it can produce fruits in any "future times". This is why there is no need to care about posterity.

I am confident about the abondance of the future fruits to come in this particular garden.

P.S. : To be detached of the result is a buddhist teaching. The guy being a buddhist monk...

I found something about the "Law of Detachment" in the link below :

http://www.peace.ca/spirituallaws.htm
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the link, Tchoc.
You've expressed excellent points.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”