LC on LC - Interviews and Encounters (new book)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

LC on LC - Interviews and Encounters (new book)

Post by jarkko »

Leonard Cohen on Leonard Cohen: Interviews and Encounters
Edited By Jeff Burger
USA 2014
Publishers Chicago Review Press/An A Cappella Book
604 pages, hardcover
ISBN 9781613747582
Fifty interviews conducted worldwide between 1966 and 2012:

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
AlanM

Re: LC on LC - Interviews and Encounters (new book)

Post by AlanM »

I can thoroughly recommend this book even though I have not finished reading it yet.
For a man who gives very few interviews, I can compare these interviews to Leonard Cohen's recorded music - what is missing in quantity is more than made up for in quality.
I am amused by how often Leonard Cohen quotes Leonard Cohen in answering questions - much like many of us, I guess!

Late one recent evening I slightly misread P199, but I think my first reading probably portrays "our man" accurately.
Interviewer: How would you like to be seen?
LC: I would like the word stylist.
I read "word stylist" as his description of himself, where a second reading indicates he meant "stylist".
I feel describing Leonard Cohen as a "word stylist" sums him up admirably.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

AlanM wrote:I can thoroughly recommend this book even though I have not finished reading it yet.
For a man who gives very few interviews, I can compare these interviews to Leonard Cohen's recorded music - what is missing in quantity is more than made up for in quality.
I am amused by how often Leonard Cohen quotes Leonard Cohen in answering questions - much like many of us, I guess!

Late one recent evening I slightly misread P199, but I think my first reading probably portrays "our man" accurately.
Interviewer: How would you like to be seen?
LC: I would like the word stylist.
I read "word stylist" as his description of himself, where a second reading indicates he meant "stylist".
I feel describing Leonard Cohen as a "word stylist" sums him up admirably.

Alan
I totally agree with Alan's Quote.
It is a very good and perfect way to come "a little closer" to Leonard Cohen's way of giving answers to questions, simple ones or not.
I can say: it is really worth to buy it!
Very well done!

Uwe, Switzerland
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

Anyone know if there are plans to release this book on Kindle? And if so, when is it likely to become available? Incidentally, I'm in the middle of reading a similar book by the same author (about Bruce Springsteen) on Kindle!!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Bird off the Wire wrote:Anyone know if there are plans to release this book on Kindle? And if so, when is it likely to become available? Incidentally, I'm in the middle of reading a similar book by the same author (about Bruce Springsteen) on Kindle!!
You can buy it from amazon.ca or amazon.com in kindle format, right now.
Bird off the Wire

No, Lisa I'm afraid not. Only hardback and paperback.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Bird off the Wire wrote:No, Lisa I'm afraid not. Only hardback and paperback.
Hmm, that's odd, because I was just looking at amazon.ca minutes ago, and it is there, for $13.48 Canadian, "available for download now" it says (and a quick search also shows it at amazon.com for $12.19 USD, also available now). You may want to have another look?
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

There's no Kindle option on Amazon UK Lisa. We are not able to buy Kindle books from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca, presumably for copyright reasons (different publishers).

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Amazon works in mysterious ways. In Ireland we can't buy Kindle books from Amazon UK but can buy from the US version and I'm 100% sure on that because I bought Leonard's Fifteen Poems from the US version and checked my records to be sure!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Mabeanie1 wrote:There's no Kindle option on Amazon UK Lisa. We are not able to buy Kindle books from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca, presumably for copyright reasons (different publishers).

Wendy
I don't know where "Bird off the Wire" is located, I merely provided the website information as I saw it from Canada.

Copyrights and availability in different countries are odd, indeed. This book (in book format) is already available to purchase from the US amazon site, but it is not yet available through the Canadian amazon site. I pre-ordered it (on the Canadian site, which originally listed an April 1 release date), and I was informed this week that it won't be available until May.
Bird off the Wire

Hi again, Lisa. I'm located in Ireland and am a customer of amazon.co.uk. I tried to buy the Kindle version last night from .ca. They routed my request to co.uk who don't have the Kindle version.i am currently reading "Springsteen on Springsteen" by Jeff Burger a similar work to the Cohen collection. I'm just very surprised that two books by the same author have got different treatments. Many thanks for your interest in my query. I guess I'll just buy the book version!
Bird off the Wire

My last word on the subject! Another curiosity is not only is Jeff Burger the 'author' or collector for both books, but Chicago Review Press/A Capello Books are the publishers of both
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Try the US Amazon. They tell me to change to the UK one but I ignore it. I've bought loads of stuff from them with no problems.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It's different with Kindle books Gwen. You can only buy from your "own" Amazon. I agree it's rarely a problem with "real" books.

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Like I stated earlier I have bought Leonard's Fifteen Poems on Kindle from the US Amazon. Maybe the rules have changed since then.

Return to “News”