Michael Caine quotes Leonard

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
holydove

Michael Caine quotes Leonard

Post by holydove »

Michael Caine & his leading lady (Clemence Poesy, I think?) quote Leonard in new movie, "Mr. Morgan's Last Love". The quote is at the end of the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijbwAjuOH7w
cohenadmirer

Re: Michael Caine quotes Leonard

Post by cohenadmirer »

Looks like a good movie - and my favourite Cohen line.
(nb Please bring back Anthem !)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Laura

Post by Laura »

What a beautiful trailer.

Laura
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Thank you Rachel for sharing this clip. I love Michael Caine and this movie I will have to see. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This promises to be a very beautiful film... and just my kind.
They made such beautiful use of Leonard's lines.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

It may be just me, but from watching the trailer I found Michael Caine's half-American, half-cockney accent a bit of a distraction from the action. I have the same "suspension of disbelief" issue whilst watching Bowie in most of his acting roles.

The story and location of the film look promising though. I remember Caine fondly from Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters and other US based roles, so maybe it is just a symptom of the brevity of the trailer.

It seems to me that the "light gets in" catchphrase is also in danger of losing its impact through overexposure like Hallelujah. I was hoping for something less obvious. I recognise that the same problem won't apply for the many non-Cohen fan movie goers.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Lovely trailer, lovely, appropriate (looks like) phrase - thank you Rachel.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And, now that you mention it, UrPal, another chance for people to discover Leonard and his music.
~ Oscar Wilde
Alice09

Post by Alice09 »

It seems to me that the quote is misused. His wife dying is the crack. The young woman is the light.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Alice09 wrote:It seems to me that the quote is misused. His wife dying is the crack. The young woman is the light.
hmmm...good point...but I think the young woman is the crack because she has cracked his protective shell of mourning/grumpiness/resignation. She's disrupted (cracked) his life (in a good way) and the light coming in - while it includes her - is his general improved outlook and reconciliation with his son.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by lizzytysh »

You both make good points 8)
Right now, my head's not up to trying to sort my own position on it, given the alternate perspective.
I'll revisit it later.
~ Oscar Wilde
Maj

Post by Maj »

mnkyface wrote:
Alice09 wrote:It seems to me that the quote is misused. His wife dying is the crack. The young woman is the light.
hmmm...good point...but I think the young woman is the crack because she has cracked his protective shell of mourning/grumpiness/resignation. She's disrupted (cracked) his life (in a good way) and the light coming in - while it includes her - is his general improved outlook and reconciliation with his son.
At 2:01 he says to this young woman: 'You are the crack in my world'.

I think she is the crack and the light gets in.

Maire
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

You have to feel a little sorry for the young lady, being assigned the role of the imperfection, the broken element, like that. I'd have said it was his sense of loss & emptiness that let him be open to her presence, the light. But then I didn't write the script.

By the way, you wouldn't believe how much bandwidth on Twitter is taken up with just that one quote from Anthem... or in how many different languages. That idea of Leonard's, at least, is making some major inroads on the world.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Leonard's words embody such universal truths, don't they, Helen 8) .
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”