New York Times misinformation on Leonard

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
crista

New York Times misinformation on Leonard

Postby crista » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Reading today's SundayStyles Section of the New York Times in an article on Rufus Wainwright's upcoming 40th birthday, I was shocked to find the following: "In Los Angeles in December, Mr. Wainwright was visiting the Window, a modern furnishings store co-owned by his friend Lorca Cohen, the daughter of the late Leonard Cohen." (My emphasis) Uhuh! Luckily we know this is not true! And the Times has learned about it as well as the online edition is already corrected. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/fashi ... paper&_r=0

Still, it's a very strange feeling to see that expression on paper... hopefully it will not be true for a very long time to come.
1979 Cologne Messehalle 8 - 2012 New York Madison Square Garden - 2013 New York Radio City Music Hall x2; Zurich Hallenstadion
HelenOE

Re: New York Times misinformation on Leonard

Postby HelenOE » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 pm

crista wrote:Still, it's a very strange feeling to see that expression on paper... hopefully it will not be true for a very long time to come.
Amen, and again I say amen.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Good time to kick the mortal habit to believe naively whatever it is said, and particularly whatever is written.

And when the hunger from your touch
Rises from the hunger
;-)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
uncleerwinone

Postby uncleerwinone » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I found something interesting on the subject on the internet (The Phrase Finder):

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Origin

Mark Twain quotation after hearing that his obituary had been published in the New York Journal.

Mistaken publications of obituaries aren't as rare as you might expect. A recent example is of Dave Swarbrick, the British folk/rock violinist, who was killed off mistakenly by the Daily Telegraph in April 1999 when they reported that his visit to hospital in Coventry had resulted in his death. He did at least get the opportunity to read a rather favourable account of his life, not something we all get to do, and to deliver the gag "It's not the first time I have died in Coventry".
hydriot

Postby hydriot » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Hmm. Perhaps Leonard has just developed a reputation with that journalist for not turning up on time.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
cohenadmirer

Postby cohenadmirer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 pm

hydriot wrote:Hmm. Perhaps Leonard has just developed a reputation with that journalist for not turning up on time.
15 minutes late starting at the last concert I was privaliged to attend,but also quite late finishing :o
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
crista

Postby crista » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Nices tries, Hydriot and Cohenadmirer, but the New York Times has been well aware of its misdeed. Today's print edition of the SundayStyles section carries the following "Correction: The Possessed column last Sunday, about the rapidly approaching 40th birthday of the singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright, on July 22, referred incorrectly to another well-known singer-songwriter, Leonard Cohen. Mr. Cohen is very much alive and, in fact, will turn 79 on Sept. 21; it is not the case that he is "the late Leonard Cohen." (For the record: Mr. Cohen is currently on tour in Europe, with a performance scheduled in Brussels today.)"

At least they acknowledge their mistakes, that's more than many others do.

Enjoy your Sundays!
1979 Cologne Messehalle 8 - 2012 New York Madison Square Garden - 2013 New York Radio City Music Hall x2; Zurich Hallenstadion
jdhayes

Postby jdhayes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Maybe he was late for some dental appointment or for his dinner?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 am

A bit of humor/wit/sarcasm? :razz:
From Joey - on June 25th - Notes From the Road -

Still Kicking

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/538 ... ll-kicking
martali

Postby martali » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 am

:-o

This certainly predicts Our Man still many, many years in good health and great shape to our delight

:D
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:37 pm

And the late starts of the concerts are never the fault of Leonard or his group... it's all about the venues and the fans. Leonard and the group are more than ready... and ahead of time.

Great entry by Joey 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Florian

Postby Florian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

crista wrote:
Still, it's a very strange feeling to see that expression on paper... hopefully it will not be true for a very long time to come.
No Reason to worry:
There is an old Saying in German that goes: "Die Totgesagten leben länger".
Translated this would be somthing like "Those decleard dead will live longer"
I don't know where this comes from, but somehow very fitting i think...
(By the Way, is there a similar Saying in English?)

- F.

Return to “News”