LEONARD COHEN AND JUNO AWARDS - 2013

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Cate

Re: LEONARD COHEN AND JUNO AWARDS - 2013

Postby Cate » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm editing to add that, going back to February, the idea was in my head of the possibility of Leonard appearing at the Juno TV event tonight (based on the cancellation of the second St. John's show that seemed to coincide maybe with announcements of Juno nominations?)
I was thinking the cancellation might have something to do with Adam being nominated for a Juno, that Leonard would want to be there.
It should be a good show tonight!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Both could easily be the case, but for sure, Leonard would want to be where Adam is being honoured even in being nominated. Praying for great outcomes for both!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am

Adam was nominated in the category Best Adult Contemporary Album of the Year - and I believe the award went to the Canadian Tenors last night.
But still - he will be appearing as a presenter tonight.

The JunoAwards site has some videos of performances from last night - including Adam's performance
http://junoawards.ca/episode/adam-cohen ... er-awards/
http://junoawards.ca/episode/the-tenors ... er-awards/
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 am

Yeah, I didn't realize until today that the outcomes were put out yesterday/last night.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 am

SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR WINNER: Leonard Cohen
David Berry a few seconds ago

And … Leonard Cohen is not actually at the ceremony. Despite winning two of the biggest Junos.
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/04/21 ... -in-music/

@Spinner - Leonard Cohen wins Songwriter of the Year at #JunoAwards, coincidentally presented by his son Adam Cohen ("I feel so used!")
‏@jianghomeshi - Leonard Cohen wins Songwriter of the Year to go along with winning Artist of the Year. Yes! A big year for a Canadian legend. #JUNOAwards
@Reparteemusic - The 4-hour king himself (Leonard Cohen) wins Songwriter of the Year. His son looks a lot like Jimmy Fallon, no?
@sammaciag - Adam Cohen speaks to the media on behalf of his dad, Leonard Cohen on his JUNO win. #junos2013 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIalw2oCMAAY7lP.jpg
@CTVReginaLive - AdamCohen accepting the Songwriter of the year award for his dad(Leonard Cohen) who is not at the Juno Awards https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIalh6bCMAEcja3.jpg
@ThatEricAlper- Adam Cohen presents the 2012 JUNO Award for Songwriter of the Year and reads out the winner: Leonard Cohen.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 am

I just did a quick dip for a few seconds in the Juno Awards, and I saw Anne Murray presenting KD Lang and a virtual Leonard Cohen (with the look that I was used to see him displaying around the release of Dear Heather Album). He was paying a tribute to her regarding her cover of H.

KD Lang was saying, mainly, that only in Canada that a freak like KD Lang (she said it like that) can be what she is, and essentially : "so be yourself". I think that she added "Canada".

In short, Cohen said that he was very pleased with her cover, so much that he cried, he said.

KD Lang is all of a performer in my opinion.

Before, I was buzy elsewhere listening and viewing an interview of an absolutely so alive and happy to be there, old Paul Anka, so, I did not know what happened in the Juneau's ceremony.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Cate

Postby Cate » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am

"Let your freak flags fly" ... Love it!!!

I tuned in at the same time T. and was so pleased to get to see K.D. Lang get her award and hear Leonard's kind words about her. I missed Leonard's getting the songwriter of the year :( but hopefully I'll see a clip of what happened tomorrow. I'm biased because this is the music I hear on the kitchen radio, or when shopping or driving ... but I really enjoyed the portion of the show I was able to see.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm

My name is Andoranges, T. Andoranges. 8)

I like that. Delicious! :D

I wonder is K.D. Lang was answering to something mean that she could have heard about hersfelf because of her look towards her 30 years career. It is stunning, that once, when she was young, she looked like a Barbie doll with the head of Pocahontas and now she is looking like a Marlon-Brando-to-be doll with the head of Sitting Bull. Nevertheless, she is still charismatic and therefore, sexy. But I guess not exactly for the same kind of people throughout the years. I don't know. But it seems to me that it is easier to grow old as a man than as a woman, though. Being more and more gender free as I am growing old, I would do the same should I was not so short. In a suit, I would look like a little Italien mafioso. And not myself at all, anyway. Thinking about it.

I guess that she can say that she is a freak compared to the old fashinoned Canadians British type of people over there. Anne Murray was looking like she was caught in a storm while K.D. Lang was doing her thanking, on the stage.

It seems that Bieber won over Leonard. I don't even know who Justin Bieber is.
Was it the pretty girl dressed like a boy? 8)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
mary emma

Postby mary emma » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:16 am

Adam accepting the award on behalf of his father http://junoawards.ca/junotv/ at 51:23

Great news this is!
MaryEmma
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 am

Thank you for that Mary Emma.

In my haste to view Adam's acceptance speech for his father's award, I did not see that you had given us the point at which to view this, so I had to slowly scroll through the whole video to see it :roll:

Adam is just as funny as his 'old man' :lol:

Congratulations to Mr. Cohen for this well deserved award!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Cate

Postby Cate » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 am

mary emma wrote:Adam accepting the award on behalf of his father http://junoawards.ca/junotv/ at 51:23

Great news this is!
MaryEmma
Ha!
he really is as funny as his 'old man' and appears very comfortable in that role. Great rapport between he and host Jian Ghomeshi.
Tchocolatl wrote: Was it the pretty girl dressed like a boy? 8)
he's the pretty boy, dressed as a boy.

about k.d.'s statement T (andoranges :)) here is a short clip of her thoughts http://www.theglobeandmail.com/video/vi ... e11451654/
Basically she said, after much meditation, she didn't want to make the award about herself and that her statement was to everybody, because in some way or another we're all freaks and that (know remember it's a Canadian speaking within Canada) she felt grateful to come from an, accepting of differences, place. I would say a somewhat accepting place, because we could do better.

btw - I'm sure you would look fine in a suit, maybe go with pinstripes to add length.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:49 am

Cate wrote:
mary emma wrote:Adam accepting the award on behalf of his father http://junoawards.ca/junotv/ at 51:23

Great news this is!
MaryEmma
Ha!
he really is as funny as his 'old man' and appears very comfortable in that role. Great rapport between he and host Jian Ghomeshi.
Tchocolatl wrote: Was it the pretty girl dressed like a boy? 8)
he's the pretty boy, dressed as a boy.

about k.d.'s statement T (andoranges :)) here is a short clip of her thoughts http://www.theglobeandmail.com/video/vi ... e11451654/
Basically she said, after much meditation, she didn't want to make the award about herself and that her statement was to everybody, because in some way or another we're all freaks and that (know remember it's a Canadian speaking within Canada) she felt grateful to come from an, accepting of differences, place. I would say a somewhat accepting place, because we could do better.

btw - I'm sure you would look fine in a suit, maybe go with pinstripes to add length.
"(know remember it's a Canadian speaking within Canada)(...)" Je me souviens... 8)

:)

Pinstripes. With patent leather shoes. White.

I think about it.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Cate

Postby Cate » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

With patent leather shoes. White.
ahh nice choice.
An advantage for a girl who wears mens shoes is that she can shop in the boys section and get some great shoe deals! Though the selection is not always as good.

Cate - wearer of girl shoes and boy shoes
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 pm

My feet are too small even for women shoes so very often, consequently I don't venture in the man's department. Boy shoes, maybe, would fit. Once I bought boy running shoes which indeed were cheaper.

Cate did you read Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald?

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Cate

Postby Cate » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 pm

I haven't. I read the wiki summery after you mentioned it before and thought, 'I don't know if I can handle a book like this', but maybe I should give it a try. I could always put it down if it's to much and now that I know the basic premise the more difficult parts wouldn't come as a shock. You're a B.L. lover so it's probably worth a go.

Return to “News”