Leonard in 2013 Guinness Book of Records

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
gingermop

Leonard in 2013 Guinness Book of Records

Post by gingermop »

Last edited by gingermop on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicomte

Re: Leonard in 2013 Guinness Book of Records

Post by Vicomte »

Do you know, even though I feel I have known L.C almost from the beinning, I have to put my hands up and say that I never realised thst Songs of Love and Hate made it in to the top ten album chart.

You learn summat every day ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am proud to have done my bit to help both albums chart!

Wendy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Me, too, Wendy... and thanks for this great news, gingermop! And the best, the very best part, is that Leonard is here to enjoy it all!
Kudos to Leonard and to Guinness Book of Records ~ you've got to recognize and celebrate greatness where you see it!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I should think there are other reasons for him to be in the book as well.
Has anyone else completed such long tours at his age? That must be a record.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

lightasabreeze wrote:I should think there are other reasons for him to be in the book as well.
Has anyone else completed such long tours at his age? That must be a record.
Possibly the oldest performer to be at number 2 with a new album of new songs?
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

gingermop wrote:Hello all

A news piece just came to my attention that I thought I’d share: Leonard will be in the 2013 edition of the Guinness Book of Records.

The record refers to him having the longest gap between top 10 UK albums. ‘Old Ideas’ peaked at number 2 in the chart recently, 40 years and eight months after his previous top ten entry with ‘Songs Of Love And Hate’.

I rather like that - it shows the fanbase has endured, as has Leonard himself…

G
A couple of weeks ago, on the Steve Wright BBC Radio 2 show, he mentioned that, amongst others, there was an entry for Leonard Cohen in the latest edition of the Guinness Book of Records. To my frustration he did not expand on the statement so thanks for clearing this up.

As for ‘Songs Of Love And Hate’ itself, I have a recollection of my father getting the album to go along with the first two records. He must have helped it get into the Top 10. As I was very young, at the time, I remember thinking that the cover looked a bit scary! Also, my mum was less than impressed with the word "hate" being on a record cover at all. Anyway, it didn't put me off coming back to Leonard's music, admittedly much later in life. The record itself is, probably, my favourite (well, this week anyway). And I am wearing the ‘Songs Of Love And Hate’ t-shirt as I compile this post. (Not quite so scary now!)
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam

Return to “News”