the sunday telegraph

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Frazier and Friends ~ wouldn't you know ~ two that are only available in reruns, now. Did you see either of their final episodes? I really liked them both, too.
Kush

Post by Kush »

eh..You don't like Chef??? :shock: That was hilarious. Maybe British and Americans taste in British humor is different :). Yes I remember Only Fools and Horses that was a favorite too a few years ago. The others you mention I don't know. There is another one that was a favorite of mine about 10 yrs ago...about a shopkeeper and his assistant. I think the same guy in Only Fools and Horses was in it.

Don't watch Friends. Frasier is OK but I preferred the old Cheers. Everybody loves Raymond is OK too.
But if you ain't seen the 'show 'bout nothin'' then you ain't seen nothin' yet (Seinfeld). A class by itself. Of course its only reruns now.
jemima

Post by jemima »

ahh yes, "open all hours"is the comedy your thinking of.
kush - how can you prefer cheers over the class of frasier??!! and Everybody loves raymond is sooo bad!! :lol: sorry,we're all aloud our own individual tastes,but that one is,well,i'd definately choose friends over it any day.well,i'd choose most over it any day! :D
:wink: but i agree with you, seinfeld is brilliant,though its always on at rubbish time here,so i miss it quite often :cry:
jemima
how come you bother with my heart at all
Kush

Post by Kush »

Thanks jemima for both the names.
I guess I like E. L. Raymond coz' it is so ostensibly bad - i'm not sure what I'm trying to say here but maybe you get the idea :) . Moreover, it always seems to be on when I get home from work. And I haven't really watched very much of Frasier.
I was a huge fan of Seinfeld and of Star Trek: The Next Generation (of the Captain Picard variety) and since both of those ran out I watch whatever happens to be running at any particular time.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lizzie I did see both final episodes of Frazier and Friends and was quite disappointed with both. Jennifer Aniston has great comic timing.

Kush was Chef the one with Lenny Henry in. I am not sure if I am thinking of the right programme. If it is the one with LH in it was pulled quite quickly over here as no one watched it.

We don't get many America comedies over here at all, they seem to fall flat with the British audiences, we get a lot of "America's finest" all FBI and cops and robbers but I am totally addicted to "missing without trace".
Rob

Post by Rob »

Chef was in the Muppets and he came from Sweden.
Rob.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Yes Paula... Lenny Henry was the Chef. I thought his timing was immaculate. It really was the best of the 'Britcoms' for me but as I remember the later episodes were a bit of a drag so perhaps they were running out of ideas.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Paula, and others who are crazy enough to appreciate humour of the so-called British variety:
1. This is numero uno, as opposed to foreign numbers, written by secret agents , speaking through special explodeable boots, with the benefit of the National Health (you can't get the the health if you don't have the wealth) : please accept the Goons. Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Harry Seacombe were/are the greatest radio comedy combination of all time.
2. This is number two. Best to have one now, before it's too late.

Other numbers, not necessarily in order, will be writted by Bluebottle ( thinks: "What is this Leonard Cohen game?" thinks : "I'd rather have a quarter of licorice allsorts than a stamp with his head on it".)

Andrew.
jemima

Post by jemima »

hey kush
well, the fact that i've formed an opinion on e.l.r shows that ive watched it enough times to mock it(as i sometimes ashamebly smile at its cheesyness and "here comes another joke you can spot a mile off", pretty much like king of queens)ive come across daytime tv as my job as a cleaner in a hotel,so i am the official judger of crap!!
jemima
Kush

Post by Kush »

...and occasionally (very very) a gem of a line does come through from the Raymond gang. :)
jemima

Post by jemima »

yeah yeah!! i was listening to the radio, and they were talking about the differences between the british and americans. one of them quoted this:
"americans think that life is hopeful,but should be taken seriously.the british think that life is hopeless, and should not be taken seriously"
made me laugh, so so true!!
jemima

Return to “News”