GOT THE SPECIAL POSTCARD!!!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Hanna

GOT THE SPECIAL POSTCARD!!!

Post by Hanna »

I have just received a special postcard with a beautiful stamp!!!

I'm proud of being a part of this Birthday Project honouring Leonard's 70 years. :D

Thank you Jarkko and all other contributors!
Thank you Leonard for being!
"I love your body and your spirit and your clothes"

Wroclaw, Hala Ludowa 20.03.1985 | Wroclaw, Hala Stulecia 29.09.2008 | Katowice, Spodek 04.10.2010 | Berlin, Waldbühne 5.09.2012 | Berlin o2 World 17.07.2013 | Prague o2 Arena 21.07.2013
Rob

Post by Rob »

Here is an opportunity to carry out a comparative study of our postal services efficiency, from the first to recieve to the last.
Rob
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Great idea, Rob! My immediate thought was the proximity of Poland vs. that of the U.S. However :lol: , trust me when I tell you, once it hits these shores, proximity is of little matter :wink: . It'll be interesting to watch the arrival patterns.
Cia

Post by Cia »

My husband announced today that I had recieved a postcard from Leonard :shock: , well anyway - thanks Jarkko :D

hugs from Cia
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man almost nothing.
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

....and your heart skipped a beat :wink: :lol: ? Or, you knew immediately? :D
Cia

Post by Cia »

Nah Lizzy, just thought it was a little late to recieve his adress for delivering the birthday cake 8)

Kadir already ate it, and the thin green candles can always be useful in other situations :wink:

hugs as always
Cia
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man almost nothing.
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, at least it went to good use....nothing worse than delivery of a stale cake, anyway. However, about this 'thin green candle' issue :wink: .
Robin Orfe

Post by Robin Orfe »

Thanks you for starting this thread Hanna.

I'm happy to see that the postcards HAVE been mailed out. I was going to email Jarkko to ask WHEN he'd be sending them.
I'm so glad to see how timely he is in getting all of them out. I too am interested in the order in which they are received.

I'm guessing that the United States fans would most likely be the LAST group of folks to receive their postcards, being that Jarkko is from Finland.

I'd be curious as to WHERE each fan, who was part of Leonard's Birthday Celebration, is from.

I'm from the United States (East Coast). I think Lizzytysh, myself and others from the USA will get theirs last.

What do YOU think Lizzytysh??? Do you agree that we'd get ours last?

Robin :roll:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, I just can't imagine it otherwise, somehow, Robin ~ well, maybe South Africa or Australia or Indonesia. Hmmmm. We may not fare so badly, after all. However, I won't be surprized if we get ours last! You know how the postal service can be here :roll: !

Yes, as people get theirs, if their country isn't part of what shows up with their chosen name for the Forum, it'd be great if they included it as they arrive at their house. I know that they were all to be postmarked on September 21 ~ and I've heard rumours that Eija has wrist surgery scheduled for some time next week :wink: ~ so I have to believe that she did her all to ensure they arrived at the post office in a timely manner :lol: .
echoes

Post by echoes »

Hi all!

I'm from Germany and I've recived the postcard today - and I'm so happy (some kind of christmas-feeling!)! :D

I'm very impressed how fast it has been here ... Didn't know the German postal service can be that fast.... :lol:

Best wishes from Germany
Manuel
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I have just got THE POSTCARD and THE STAMP!

Hooray!!!

Well - definitely Poland deserves to be the first country in this queue.
There are thousands of devoted Cohen fans here - let me just mention
Platinum status of Ten New Songs with over 100000 copies sold here.

I would like to thank Jarkko for the whole Birthday Gift idea - that was just brilliant!

Of course I must also thank Eija - I hope her hand is OK after writing so many addresses. By the way, Eija's handwriting is very nice!

OK, gotta go back to my translations of Dear Heather lyrics.

Mirek
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, Robin, Europe is definitely in the lead!

Ah, yes, Mirek, I agree that Poland [part of my heritage, you know :wink: ] deserves to be first ~ with that kind of showing of "Ten New Songs" ~ not to mention that you won the Millionth Visitor, right? And, Linda had mentioned Hanna winning a contest, as well!

I wonder if Eija's beautiful handwriting held up to the very end. I'm certain that she ensured that it did ~ she started soon enough to allow periodic rests, but apparently not enough of them to avoid that surgery :? :lol: ! It's probably of the variety to simply restore her to her former self :wink: and non-pain levels :shock: .
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It took a week for Eija to write about 420 cards -- more than 350 to fellow Cohenites around the world, and the rest to addresses kindly provided by Leonard's management. We delivered them to the Philately Dept. of the Finnish postal authority on Friday September 17 to give them time to cancel the stamps manually with a special postmark on September 21. The post office then put all of them under way on Tuesday 21st. All cards mailed to Finnish addresses came yesterday, 22nd.
A number of the cards has been received today (23rd) at least in Denmark, Poland, Germany, and Switzerland, according to emails. Overseas mail usually takes about a week (to any country). It will be exciting to hear when the our participants will be getting it!
Jarkko
Paula

Post by Paula »

I got mine today :lol: It is lovely I am gonna frame it. I was worried the postman was gonna run off with it or post it elsewhere. My postman is very unpredictable.

Eija you have lovely handwriting everytime I look at the card I shall think of you and Leonard. Many many thanks Jarkko.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You didn't take any chances, Jarkko ~ that's great! My prayer is that mine's not bent. It amazes me how some things come through straight as an arrow, whilst others look like they got the worst of a corkscrew. Here's to the power of prayer. Mine will get framed, too, Paula. I was thinking I might want to find a frame that's got nothing but glass, so both sides can be viewed.

We'll be sure to let you know when they arrive, Jarkko, won't we Robin?

Return to “News”