Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Award for Letters

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bridger15

Re: Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Award for Letters

Post by bridger15 »

Goldin wrote:Well. It begins. Mentions of Leonard Cohen every few minutes.

btw, they speak his name the same way the Russians do it - LeonArd.
And every time they spoke his name, they also mentioned "sombrero". I don't know Spanish, but most of of us know what that means. :D
When he left his seat to go to the lectern to give his speech, the camera took a close-up of his "sombrero" which he had placed on his chair.
Delightful.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Sorry for the logo in the left bottom corner.
For those who don't want to wait when Asturians will upload their video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u_7e3Tv7Uk

And I conjure English-speakers to make the complete transcription! It's rather hard (probably, not only for me) to allocate Master's words from the Spanish background.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks for this video of Leonard's speech! I wish I could have heard all of his words over the translation, but those I did hear were very beautiful! I love how he talks about his guitar, and that "it" told him he'd never said "thank you." Wonderful!
Boro

Post by Boro »

I came by myself to Asturias, to a very crowded place, I was looking for someone whi had lines in his face. And I found him...

I was deeply touched by only be able to see L Cohen again, even if he didn't speak a word. His only presence...you know perfectly what I mean. It's been so important for me in my life for so many reasons...

His speech, today, is a masterpiece. Again. II hope you could find the video without the voice that translates him into Spanish.

Thank you thank you thank you, Leonard Cohen!

Sincerely yours

PD and I hope to see you again. As soon as possible!!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Here is Leonard Cohen..sombrero...arrival at the awards ceremony and his walk on the "Blue Carpet".

http://youtu.be/iamnYAYWaic

---Arlene
Last edited by bridger15 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks, Arlene!
From today I love the word "sombrero". It's much cooler than "hat", or German "Hut", or Russian shlyapa :razz:
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Goldin wrote:Thanks, Arlene!
From today I love the word "sombrero". It's much cooler than "hat", or German "Hut", or Russian shlyapa :razz:
From today:
It was the sombrero, after all :D
Eva
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Yep. And Mr. Cohen today is señor Leonard Cohen.
Chema

Post by Chema »

Traslation by Google traslator

Cohen: " The poetry comes from a place that nobody controls "

The musician and Canadian poet delivers a beautiful unexpected speech, without papeles. - The prince Felipe opens his intervention with an honoring the victims of ETA in 31 ª delivery of the awards, in the theatre Campoamor of Oviedo

" The poetry comes from a place that nobody controls, nobody conquers ". The deep voice of the musician and Canadian poet Leonard Cohen, I reward Prince of the Letters, it has resounded in the theatre Campoamor from ten of seven in the afternoon. It has been the first emotive moment of the ceremony of delivery of the Prizes Prince of Asturias. " Doing the baggage to come I took my guitar of the brand Count, done in Spain, very light. I put in the face and it was smelling to the fragrance of the alive wood ", it has added in a speech of ten minutes, unexpected, without papers, with sunglasses in the hand and in the one that has discovered how he fell in love with the Spanish culture. They were a few words followed with many attention by the Prince.

In an act presided by the Princes and with the presence of the queen Sofía, the presents have applauded for a long time the Cohen's speech, which has been grateful for his prize " to this people " that him given "so much". Speaking to the audience he has added: " I spent the sleepless night To Myself thinking what would say, after eating up the whole chocolate and the peanuts of the minibar, I thought about a few words, but I doubt that it is necessary to recount. I have come to express another dimension of gratitude ". What yes it did was to remember how Federico García Lorca gave to him "permission" to find his own voice.

The poet explained closely how a gypsy discovered in Montreal the Spanish music: " One day was of visit in house of my mother. There was a park with a tennis court. There was a young person touching a Flemish guitar. I was charmed with it, there was something that was captivating me, wanted to touch this way ". " It took the guitar, perfected it, me and said: ' Touch It '. It explained to me where it had to put the fingers and said to me again: ' Now it touches '. It was a disaster ". Every day Soothsayer repeated and improved his learning, but after several days the young person " already did not come. I looked for his number to call him and discovered that had committed suicide. It did not know anything of him, from what part of Spain it was coming, not porqué one had taken the life. I have never counted this before but these six chords have been the base of all my music ". Everything what they have found favorable in my work comes of there " and, for extension, of Spain: " Everything comes from this land that has allowed me to put my signature in the last page ".

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/ ... ucul_4/Tes
Juan Luis Corcobado

Speech by Leonard at P. of Asturias awards presentation cere

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

I`m sorry for the error (the video is not complete). I am working to fix the problem. Thanks.

=========

Error fixed. :-) Full video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jEI-Wk-n0
Last edited by Juan Luis Corcobado on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Many many thanks to everyone who has helped us that we could participate.
Thanks for the video and the latest news as well as the beautiful photos.

He's our man.

Congratulations Mr. Cohen !!!!
Marina
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

There are now many Spanish language websites reporting about the ceremony today. One observation that I found so touching I don't think has been posted on the forum yet.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/magazine/2 ... spana.html

(google translation)
When the pipe band Oviedo City put the finishing touch to the ceremony with the traditional interpretation of the anthem of Asturias, one of the winners last initial the note with a quiet "bravo!" Was Leonard Cohen.
---Arlene

Goldin

Post by Goldin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLe0p0rZDr0
complete speech, best version
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Pictures sent by Charley & Hattie. Click for bigger view.
sisters2.jpg
oviedo2.jpg
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “News”