Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Award for Letters

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
hazey

Re: Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Award for Letters

Post by hazey »

It can get a bit confusing when you are listening to Leonard and the translator at the same time.In any case, it was not my intention to write a transcript, just a summary of something I had watched a couple of hours before. Goldin, I am sorry if you read it before I corrected.

However, I have to say that one of the things I find funny about this press conference, apart from Leonard's wit, is the way Leonard finds it hard to understand what the journalists are asking. It is even more difficult for him when questions are asked directly in English! For example, at first he doesn't seem to understand when a lady calls him "the kid with the crazy dream". In my opinion, that's why he pauses, laughs and repeats things all through the press conference.
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hazey, please don't think I was being critical of your post at all! I just elaborated because I thought what Leonard said was very funny!

Incidentally, I'm an English speaker, and I also found it very difficult to understand the questions that were asked in English, so Leonard wasn't the only one.
hazey

Post by hazey »

Of course the English is terrible! I am Spanish and I have no problem to admit that. The reason why I like Leonard's attitude
is because he tries to understand and answer everybody which sometimes leads to funny misunderstandings. Of course we all know Leonard does not have any need to be in surreal situations to be funny!

By the way, does anyone know if the LC Tribute which is taking place now in Gijón is going to be broadcast ?
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
holydove

Post by holydove »

Goldin wrote:Hurrah, hurrah!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2kIio3MxhY
Complete broadcast @ the channel of Fundación Príncipe de Asturias.
Great video!! Thank you for posting that, Goldin.
rpan

Post by rpan »

Report on the tribute concert is here http://www.lne.es/sociedad-cultura/2011 ... 45028.html
2011-10-19_IMG_2011-10-19_22_37_03_cohengijon1.jpg
Attachments
314944_257483674303458_137841346267692_885405_926793109_n.jpg
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A Reuters article that is being carried at different sites -

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/10/19 ... m-in-2012/
http://www.courant.com/entertainment/sn ... full.story
Reuters

3:51 p.m. EDT, October 19, 2011

Singer, Poet Leonard Cohen to Release New Album

MADRID, Oct 19 - Renowned Canadian singer-songwriter and
poet Leonard Cohen said on Wednesday he had recorded his first

Cohen told journalists in the northern Spanish town of
Oviedo, where he had travelled to collect Spain's top award for
authors who do not write in Spanish, that "Old Ideas" consisted
of ten previously unpublished tracks.

"I've played it for a few people, and they seem to like it,"
the 77-year-old said in his trademark gravelly voice.

"God willing," Cohen said when asked if he planned to go on
tour again. "I never quite know whether there's going to be a
tour or not."

The writer and singer of "Suzanne", "Hallelujah", "Chelsea
Hotel No. 2" and other hits apologised for cancelling a concert
in Valencia in 2009 after he fainted, and said he would be
delighted to appear in the eastern city again.

Cohen won the Principe de Asturias Prize for literature in
June. Past winners include German Nobel Laureate Guenther Grass
and U.S. playwright Arthur Miller.

The Montreal native also spoke of his deep admiration for
Spanish culture and said he had named his daughter Lorca, after
Federico Garcia Lorca, Spain's most famous 20th century poet,
who was summarily shot by supporters of a military uprising in
1936 which started the Spanish Civil War.

Cohen first read Lorca when he was a teenager.

"He was the first poet that invited me to live in his
world," Cohen said.

"His landscape was extremely familiar to me. It was a
landscape that was very close to silence, a landscape that arose
out of the struggle with silence, which I myself was struggling
with at the time."

The writer said he still found writing hard work.

"You know, when you're writing, you're always an absolute
beginner. Each time you take up your guitar or sit by a blank
page, you start from scratch. It's a struggle."

The Asturias Foundation awards eight prizes every year for
fields ranging from science to the arts. Winners get 50,000
euros ($69,000) and a statue by Catalan artist Joan Miro.
($1 = 0.725 Euros)

(Reporting by Jaime Ortiz; Writing by Martin Roberts; Editing
by Andrew Heavens)

Copyright © 2011, Reuters
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Goldin wrote:Hurrah, hurrah!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2kIio3MxhY
Complete broadcast @ the channel of Fundación Príncipe de Asturias.
jarkko wrote: Robert Kory was in the audience with the Spanish media people.

At 7.53
kory press conference 753.JPG
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Google translation of article in ElMundo.es
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/10/2 ... 63437.html
AWARDS | Prince of Asturias Awards

Cohen, Moved To Tears By The Tribute of Spanish Musicians

Lucía González | Oviedo
Updated Thursday 10/20/2011 00:41 hours

The gratitude of Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Prize for Literature 2011 , the tribute to his poetry and music led by Spanish musicians like Nacho Vegas, the singer Duquende and guitarist Javier Mas on his last tour, came to tears at the end the act in the Jovellanos Theatre when all the participants sang, accompanied by the clapping of the audience, 'So long, Marianne.'

First in the dark with the lights and then announcing his departure, the poet, musician and storyteller dried his tears at the more than 700 people in the show. Genius, teacher and idol, he was called from a scenario that Cohen, who hours earlier had confirmed that it will publish new album , did not tread. She watched from a box to Laura Garcia Lorca, niece of his admired poet, who described him as "the best ambassador" who has had Lorca. "The life of a poem continues with each translation." Little Viennese Waltz "belongs to Cohen through his 'Take this waltz' and in the same chain, but to all those who have heard the extraordinary sense of identification produce works of art, "said the descendant of Granada. [ Cohen-Spain connection ]

A tribute ingredients that justifies special thanks of the American artist, 77, to be awarded "in the land of Lorca, Machado and Morente" . There was no lack of Spanish guitar, took care of it But he and other musicians accompanied the voices of the Webb Sisters, who also participated in the last 'tour' of Cohen, versioning issues such as' Dance me to the end of love ', the voice that brought the Webb Sisters, who also accompanied Cohen in his last direct. Then the singer Duquende became flamenco 'Nana del caballo grande', Lorca, and "The Gypsy's Wife" , in Cohen.

The generations of musicians who feel indebted to Cohen was represented by Asturian musicians Nacho Vegas-songwriter's award-winning fan is visceral, which has always cited as a reference of his music-Montse Alvarez (of Nosoträsh) and Mar Alvarez (Pauline Beach). Vegas reached for humor to explain Cohen's music had to cross three times in his life to dial. At 13 he did not like it. I saw an interview on the television program Rockopop and thought "a man very serious black suit. I thought, does not sing, he's talking . " Three years later, the Spaniard's father asked him to record a demo, the first music I made ​​Vegas with his friends, and "as they were with those 90-minute tape, which also tuck Cohen album." Another three years after his father died and found that tape in his possession. It was 'Songs of Leonard Cohen', the first Canadian album, released in 1968. "That's when I heard that record several times a day for weeks," he said.

The event was projected first part of the documentary "Songs from the road '. The tribute also included Andres Amoros, who performed a reading of some of his poems translated into Castilian as "Hey, That's not way to say goodbye" and "Sisters of Mercy ', and also attended by Irish guitarist Glen Hansard.

The Youth Choir of the Prince of Asturias became the final grade. Cohen had left his box, but appeared to take off once again hats off to your audience. Did not need to even open my mouth to bathe in applause. It sounded a great version of 'Hallelujah' and the musician was again excited.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/20 ... en-in-gijn
Emotional tribute to Leonard Cohen in Gijón
By: ThinkSpain , Thursday, October 20, 2011
LC tribute pic.jpg
LC tribute pic.jpg (11.36 KiB) Viewed 8708 times
A packed Jovellanos Theatre in Gijón tonight paid homage to Leonard Cohen's music and poetry in an emotional tribute concert featuring a host of national and international stars.

Two days before the Canadian singer, songwriter, poet and novelist is officially awarded the 2011 Prince of Asturias prize for writing, the theatre in Gijón gave Cohen a warm reception and a standing ovation that lasted for several minutes, which Cohen acknowledged by raising his hat to the crowd.

The tribute began with "Backstage Sketch", a short video by Lorca Cohen, the Canadian artist's daughter, and included a documentary "Songs from the road", in which all the members of Cohen's band related their experiences of life on the road with the great man.

Professor Andrés Amorós, a member of the Prince of Asturias prize jury, recited a number of Cohen's poems and songs, translated into Spanish, accompanied by guitars and the voices of the "Webb Sisters".

Amorós said: "His poetry has taken us to the most absolute sadness, melancholy, and to tenderness. The curious thing is, that when he talks about himself, he talks about all of us, it's just that we don't know how to express it like he does".

Laura García Lorca, niece of the poeta Federico García Lorca, also paid homage to Cohen, calling him "the best ambassador" her uncle could have in the world. She expressed her "gratitude and emotion" to Cohen for having brought her uncle's poetry to so many people.

Thanking the public with repeated gestures of gratitude, Cohen was visibly moved by the end of the event.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Even though the google translation was extremely difficult to follow in certains parts, these are both touching articles. Thank you Linda and Arlene. I hope someone has made a video of this tribute and we get to see it.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Post by B4real »

Yes, it has been difficult to get clear meaning in sound and writing with some of these previously posted links but I have welcomed each and every one.
Thank you everybody for your efforts in covering this important event.

In that wonderful emotional photo.......I notice that Leonard is still wearing his saints bracelet!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
rpan

Post by rpan »

Here some little video snippets and more may appear http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos-audi ... -asturias/
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Roy

Post by Roy »

Last edited by Roy on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
mutti

Post by mutti »

How wonderful...and what an honour for Leonard.
I can't stop smiling when I watch these videos!
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

A new RTVE video just came online this morning: Moving tribute to the lyrics and music of Leonard Cohen in Gijon (according to Google Translation):
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/prem ... n/1228354/

Return to “News”