HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD!!!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:30 am

Dear Leo,

Over the years, your face has taken on "the benignity of a priest" as Layton said.

May these years ahead reflect the beatitude of Layton's poem:

"All I require
for my happiness
is a pen
and a sheet of paper
to put down
my unhappy reflections
on men
and the human condition"

And may your requirements also include a microphone, a Jew's harp, and the love of your many friends throughout the world.

Thank you for all you've done for me.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Lily_Marlene

Postby Lily_Marlene » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:49 am

Happy Birthday, Mr. Leonard Cohen!

You are a gift to the world!

Even though you were born to " raise your voice this high and no higher,"

those of us who hear you, hear you loud and clear!

Your words speak volumes above the highest pitch.

Thank you for your constant state of searching!

You are truly a life to be celebrated!
"For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds'

- William Shakespeare
Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:59 pm

It seems incredible but I've done the maths. Leonard, for over half your life you have provided a refuge for two-thirds of mine.

Thank you and many happy returns.

--
Paul Galvin.
John K.

Postby John K. » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:55 pm

Happy Birthday Mr. Cohen, and thank you.
Willy

Postby Willy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:27 pm

Dear Leonard.
We want to thank you for 30 years of pleasure you gave us with your songs and we hope that we can enjoy them for another 30 years.
Happy birthday Leonard, We hope that you stay in good health and have a great birthday.

Greetings from Holland
Wybe and Willy
Elsie

Postby Elsie » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:22 am

It is good to know that you are out there somewhere.
Thank you.

Happy Birthday, Leonard Cohen!
Menard

Postby Menard » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:15 am

Leonard,

My daughter, having spent nine months in the womb surrounded by your music, is always at peace with your voice. You music is a national treasure and I'm proud that you're Canadian!

Enjoy your birthday and I look forward to the release of your new album.

Thanks so much...
Tchocolatl

Happy Birthday, Leonard Cohen

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:24 am

Leonard Cohen. These words sound like an incantation doesn’t it? And watch what is happening when you say it loud. A certain kind of magic is instantly in the air.

No Sir, I am not just using an old cliché about the artist. I am not lying. Yes Sir I have evidence.

Difficult to explain, however, what exactly the experience is. Not just another intellectual exercise, and yet, it is, if you want it to be, but I would say, emotional, physical, intellectual: complete.

Happy Birthday dear Mr. Cohen and. Thank you. I discovered you with Ten New Songs. And then I did the road back. Met Suzanne. Read the books. And I’m still amazed by the journey. For me, excuse me if you regard this as a... I don’t know, choose a word, for me you are a Zen master. The very first one with your sort of background, democratizing this philosophy for those who are interested.

How I wish that I could express this with a Haiku. Even a little one, metaphorically speaking. But my Occidental mind is just too... Occidental.

This is to say that I continue to be concern by your works in silence, here and now. And some other September 21st, I may be able to do it. Thank you also to have been such a great witness and chronicler of our times, through all these years. Thank you for this peculiar sens of humour that I savour so much. But moreover thank you for the soothing, healing and comforting (wonderful) songs.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
dick

Postby dick » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 am

Leonard

Many sincere thanks for the insight and enjoyment your work has brought into my life -- and Linda and I both will be eternally grateful for the many wonderful friends we have made by following your enterprises.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Dick
Robin Orfe

Postby Robin Orfe » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:14 am

Dear Leonard,

I wish you much happiness on this day, and every day. Thank you for sharing your words, your life, and your voice to all of us who appreciate this "gift" more than words could ever express.

I'm showing my age here as well, when I say I've had the pleasure of your company and your voice since 1967.

I'm looking forward to "Dear Heather" which I view as yet another "gift" from you.

Thank you for everything Leonard. Keep the music coming.

With love and much appreciation,

Robin Orfe
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Martine

Postby Martine » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:51 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Martine on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:31 pm

Dear Leonard

Your 70th birthday anniversary and this message thread have provided a timely opportunity to describe what your wealth of wonderful creative work (and especially your music) has meant to me, as I look back on my thirty plus years of experiencing it.

It's no exaggeration to say it has impacted on every part of my being…it’s enriched my sensate and aesthetic world, stimulated my intellectual world, challenged my spiritual world and especially resonated through my emotional world! It’s also left me quietly in awe of your profound understanding of the human condition and the amazing experience of living.

I can only express my gratitude that you are the person you are and wish you the happiest of birthdays as well as many more years of personal fulfilment and creative expression!

All the best,
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Henning

Postby Henning » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:14 pm

Dear Leonard,

I was 16 and my mum was cutting my hairs, when suddenly "Lover, lover, lover" started on the radio. My feet began to dance with the rhythm and my mum said "Don't move" !

I am 46 now and my hairs are gone but I still feel that combination of elaborating mother hands and a vision of a face that's fair and a spirit that is calm. Since these old days I listen to your songs, I read your poems and novels and I try to speak like you. But when I do my German accent comes out and the world isn't yet prepared for such a thrill.

Today you are 70 and your words and songs are legendary. "Dear Heather" will add to your masterpiece. Thank you for the light you bring into our life.

Happy birthday, Leonard !

P.S. There is an audio-version of this greeting accompanied with guitar at

http://www.tea-and-oranges.de/mp3/hb.mp3
UrPal

Postby UrPal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:41 pm

Leonard

Like a fine wine, you have become better with age (and after a few years stored out of the way in the dark!). I look forward to the work yet to come.

Happy birthday.

And thanks for the songs, Mr Cohen.

Paul Grundy
Juan

Postby Juan » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:23 pm

Dear Leonard,

I was 15 when you ruined my life with your songs. Poor me, child defeated in school and in the wounded rose waltz... Now I'm 35 and so many times the background noise of my mind is like the rags of a Leonard Cohen song.

Happy birthday my dear Leonard. May your letters be like the dark grey doves of a love with no horizon.

Best wishes,

Juan

Return to “News”