Two Outstanding Tributes Paid to JARKKO ARJATSALO

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bridger15

Two Outstanding Tributes Paid to JARKKO ARJATSALO

Postby bridger15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 am

Krakow Leonard Cohen Event Tribute to Jarkko, August 6, 2010
Joe Way, representing North America, delivers a tribute to Jarkko along with Andrew Darbyshire (l), representing the South Pacific/Downunder
and Sebastian Korta (r) representing Europe

* Krakow Leonard Cohen Event Tribute to Jarkko Arjatsalo * bridgebud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUrKKhwJgU
...This is the 15th anniversary of the beginning of the leonardcohenfiles. Look at what you have started. This is one of the most amazing things that has happened to...most everyone here...to reach our age and make this whole group of new friends around someone we thought only we liked and years ago. And now we have discovered this great community. So we are deeply indebted to you. And you are a great friend...to all the community here.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Leonard Cohen's Tribute to JARKKO - Helsinki Concert - Aug 10, 2010

I was still on my European concert travels with limited computer access when I was lucky to view this Helsinki concert video of I Tried To Leave You on Youtube. It was so moving, it is still on my mind, one of my best memories of the World Tour.

LC paid tribute to Jarkko with Jarkko standing right there in front of the audience with Jarkko's home crowd.
When the camera panned to Jarkko, he looked so calm. But I was in tears watching this.

* I Tried To Leave You * itriedto leaveyou
LC's outro starts at 8.08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jP_UcF6BoI

Thank you friends...You know it was a while ago things weren't going so well for me and my voice wasn't heard very often in very many places and a voice arose in this city. A man started a website called, "leonardcohenfiles", JARKKO ARJATSALO, who kind of kept my voice alive for these many years. So I want to thank him very much for that

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Re: Two Outstanding Tributes Paid to JARKKO ARJATSALO

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 am

Thank you so much for posting this, Arlene.
Our Jarkko is so deserving of every accolade he receives.

This part is so poignant:
You know it was a while ago things weren't going so well for me and my voice wasn't heard very often in very many places and a voice arose in this city.

He may have been stoic, but I have to believe that inside Jarkko was bursting with surprize and joy. He's worked so diligently and hard all these years.
I love the pleasure that shows in Eija's face and the happy smile of the man on the right. Is that Rauli?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cheshire gal

Postby Cheshire gal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 am

Thank you Arlene for reminding us of Jarkko's great work in keeping Leonard's songs alive and, for us newcomers to the fold, where would we have gone to find out about his work and information of any new happenings in his life? His concerts have been wonderful, but there is so much more. His books and poems, which I still have to explore. The Forum has been wonderful for us. Jarkko deserves a medal :D Many thanks.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Paula

Postby Paula » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Arlene - Jarkko is one of those rare individuals he is such a nice bloke so calm so nice. Thanks for posting these videos I had not seen them.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
3mariza1

Postby 3mariza1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Eija next to the smiles and alongside may be a son of Rauli.
Well done Leonard!

-mariza1-
Last edited by 3mariza1 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeanne

Postby jeanne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Arlene...

Thank you for this post...tears ran as I read....it it so true...

I have never met Jarkko,,but he has given me quite a gift... one that has changed my direction.....sending me to people and places only dreamed..

now a reality... Creating a passage way or portal, connecting me back to the younger Leonard of my youth, to the even more beautiful Leonard of the present..

the one we all share and love.....

The road has also reconnected me, the the younger me.....long forgotten...a faded memory...

So, with much gratitude and love...I add my thanks.... to our Jarkko

jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Yes, it was wonderful being in Cracow and watching the presentation being given to Jarkko. His humility on these occasions mirrors Leonard's.
The road has also reconnected me, the the younger me.....long forgotten...a faded memory...
I love this sentiment expressed by you, jeanne. So true how many unexpected things come together in ways that afterward seem quite seamless... yet, they're all so widespread and you find your world expanded in ways that prior to all this, you never would have dreamed, having settled into one's life, so long past those earlier years.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Postby dick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Great post Arlene

Many thanks to you, and of course, to the SUBJECT --Jarkko Arjatsalo!

Thanks too to Jarkko's support family - great photographer and spouse, Eija, and computer genius and business wiz, son Rauli.

Postby 264811403188 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Thank you Jarkko and family for keeping Leonard Cohen in our hearts and minds all these years.

What would my life be without this forum which keeps me updated with everything regarding Leonard Cohen, the greatest of them all.

Thank you and best wishes for the new year.

Gerrida
GMKarsten
imaginary friend

Postby imaginary friend » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Lizzy wrote:
it was wonderful being in Cracow and watching the presentation being given to Jarkko. His humility on these occasions mirrors Leonard's.
Lizzy, you took the words out of my mouth (though the bolding is mine). I have said hello to Jarkko at a few of the concerts, and he has always been so gracious – although he must do the same thing a hundred times each concert.

Thanks Arlene, for creating this thread.

Thanks Jarkko for creating this very fine online family.

XO
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:38 am

I have said hello to Jarkko at a few of the concerts, and he has always been so gracious – although he must do the same thing a hundred times each concert.
Yes... he really does... and he always is... and that means so much.
It also sorts the chaff from the grain... and Jarkko is definitely the grain 8) .
~ Oscar Wilde
Adrian

Postby Adrian » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 am

Aye, thanks Arlene for these. A beautiful and loving acknowledgment to a keeper of the flame. An artist can only hope for such a guardian of their work and living legacy as Jarkko!!
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
Padma

Postby Padma » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Thank you, Jarkko.
rike

Postby rike » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

While I cannot add to or improve what others have so eloquently stated above, I feel the need to express my gratitude for this site.
Thank you, Jarkko!
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:26 am

I'm a little late seeing this thread, but I wish to add to the chorus of voices praising Jarkko and his efforts. Like most of us, I have never met Jarkko (although I have communicated with him every now and then via email), but without his efforts on behalf of Leonard, my life would be so much the poorer.

I am just half Leonard's age, 38, and although I was aware of him from early times, I "discovered" him in a more significant sense when somebody gave me "The Future" to listen to. By this time the Internet was starting to become a force to be reckoned with, and (there was yet no Google) I Alta-Vista'd Leonard and was immediately directed to the Files. There is little need to recount here, of all places, what a discovery I had just made, even back then in the antediluvian darkness of 1997.

Suffice it to say that, Jarkko, I cannot thank you enough. If only I could return the favour that you have done us all.

Return to “News”