Ray Webster has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Joe Way

Re: Ray Webster has passed away

Postby Joe Way » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Anne & I are also very saddened to learn of Ray's passing. We first met him in Hydra and really enjoyed his company. He had visited a Dylan friend in Wisconsin and from that learned that we were "cheese heads." I never thought we would be called that in Greece! Our condolences also go out to his family.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 am

Thank you from me, too, Lizzie.

People genuinely enjoying each other's company shines so brightly that it can't help but be noticed. You've given us some details of the substance that was so clearly there in your and Ray's friendship. The way you've described him fits perfectly with all I'd have imagined. Quebec City... such a magical one. I'm glad to see that you two got to enjoy it together... two, buddy explorers and confidantes laying claim to the world around them. Ray had a presence that could only be profoundly missed in its absence. Along with Ray's family, my heart is with you, too.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Henning

Postby Henning » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:39 am

IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
oblivion

Postby oblivion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 am

.....it´s the one i had chosen for my mother....Ray will love it...
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Henning

Postby Henning » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 pm

This photo was sent by Wijbe Lageveen. I hope I have his permission to post it here. With his winning smile Ray was a shining light in every group.
Attachments
ray.jpg
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Heike C. Strand

Postby Heike C. Strand » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Greetings to all,

My name is Heike and I am just so devastated about Ray's passing...I cannot absorb that he is gone. Ray and I were very close and travelled together on many a Bob Dylan tour and shared countless wonderful times! I am writing of special memories that we shared, but have not yet been able to finish. The last time we talked of finding a viable time to see a few shows together, which would have come this year...it is so hard to imagine never seeing his beautiful, happy smile.

Lizzie, thanks for sharing all of your thoughts...I feel the same way, Ray was the ideal travel companion...my heart just cannot hold it all yet.

I know that he enjoyed his Cohen journeys so very much.

Cheers to all,

Heike
simonelimone

Postby simonelimone » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 am

very sad news. i met ray at the hydra 02 event (unfortunately never again). we had so many laughs together at this occasion, he had such a great sense of humor. a real bon vivant. a great dude.

dear family and friends of ray, please accept my deep sympathy.

simon
mickey_one

Postby mickey_one » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:56 am

Oh no. I had no idea Ray had been ill. He was such a lovely man and tolerated, no enjoyed, one of the theme tunes from the Events that I sang whenever I saw him. football style, everyone please

ONE RAY WEBSTER, THERE'S ONLY ONE RAY WEBSTER, ONE RAY WEBSTER, THERE'S ONLY ONE RAY WEBSTER...
HeatherS

Postby HeatherS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm so sad to hear about Ray. He was always a pleasure to be around, and I have such fond memories of our times together at the events. Chanting THERE'S ONLY ONE RAY WEBSTER became part of the soundtrack of those events and beyond, from the pubs and streets of Hydra to London, New York, and Berlin! I was so happy when my son Robert, then 17, sat talking and drinking and bonding with Ray in Berlin. It meant so much to me to see them laughing together. I also had a wonderful time meeting up with Ray in Boston, to see Bob Dylan, where he ushered me through the crowd to stand with him at the front of stage. :) I always looked forward to seeing Ray, and he will be greatly missed. He was a true joy.
My sincere condolences go out to his family for this incredible loss.
There's only one Ray Webster!
With deepest affection, Heather
Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:08 am

The best part of attending the Hydra and New York events was the wonderful people I met.
Ray was one of the best of these people.
With that great attitude and wonderful smile you wished he could always be around.
I am sorry that I missed him in Berlin and sad that I will not see him again.
I am so happy that I had the opportunity to know this man.
My condolences to his family and friends.

Richard
Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am

I was very sad to hear this news, I will miss Ray a lot and it was always a pleasure to bump into him, whether it was a Cohen event or simply queuing to get into a Dylan concert... One of my first Cohen fan memories is travelling to Montreal with him and Lizzie (Madder). This photo reminds me of the horse-drawn tour we took of Old Montreal:

My sympathies to his family and friends

Tim
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm

the wonderful bill pagel has a memorial to ray......with a lovely pic of a young ray...... on his BOB LINKS home page........ta ken

http://www.boblinks.com/
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Padma

Postby Padma » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I was (like everyone else) really upset to hear of Ray's passing. I only learnt of this sad news recently. To echo other Cohenites - There is only one Ray Webster. This refrain was sung by Heather and myself in the early hours of one morning in the streets of Barnet, north London. His fame spread across continents!

When Leonard first toured the UK, I had a spare ticket for one of the Manchester concerts and I didn't think I was gong to be able to make the concert so I put a note on the forum and was inundated with replies. I gave the ticket to Ray. I remember being touched by the kindliness of his thanks for what was really a very small gesture from me.

We will all miss him.

Padma
Patrycja

Postby Patrycja » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:28 am

For those of us who are newer to the Cohen community here, it is clear from all your heartfelt posts that we missed out knowing a gem of a man. May God bless and comfort Ray's family in the most difficult of times, and all of you as well.
Will... If It Be Your Will
Tony

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:33 pm

As I never attend meetings I did not meet Ray but the heartfelt tributes to him here reflect the warmth of his spirit towards all those with whom he came into contact and demonstrate that his life has contributed to the totality of our humanity. A fine epitaph. May I offer my condolences and sympathy to his family and friends.

Return to “News”