LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

Post by MarieM »

Hi all,

I wrote Robert Kory about the news that Leonard collapsed on stage in Valencia on September 18 and got an immediate response:
A slight bit of food poisoning. Leonard went to the hospital for precautionary purposes, protesting all the way. He was checked and released after confirmation of food poisoning and a bit of re-hydration. Now back at hotel feeling fine.

I told Robert to give Leonard our love and good wishes.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
ladydi

Re: LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

Post by ladydi »

Marie...good idea to create a separate thread. Makes it stand out for all of us....and it is POSITIVE!

I'm sure he felt like crap if it was indeed food poisoning, but I am so relieved now to hear the good news!

Thank you Marie....and thank you to Robert...a huge thank you!

Diana
dick

Post by dick »

WHEW!

Thanks much Marie and Robert

Best Health Leonard!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Yeah, I need Tom Sakic to help me move this all the way to the top. Who knows how many heart attacks we can prevent.

And thanks to Dino for sending us the news immediately and in a positive light rather than having us read it on our newsreaders. And thanks to brightnow for creating a thread title that didn't scare us more than necessary.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

YES! Absolutely...after the initial horror, I did realize that Dino was right there for us...and Brightnow did indeed give us information but positively. Thank you so much Brightnow! And, of course, Dino calls Leonard "Pops" so I know he loves him very much and would never lead us astray! Thanks Dino....from our hearts!

Diana

ps..thanks Tom for assisting....
Alan Alda

Post by Alan Alda »

Damn. I opened up my usual google email alert (leonard cohen) only to see a list of headlines saying he COLLAPSED.

Really glad to read he is feeling better.

Get well! Stay well!

Laurie
I simply cannot see where there is to get to. Plath
Even despots have access to 'Welcome' mats. Me
Desperation is easily confused with enthusiasm. Me
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm very relieved that Leonard has recovered. I'll bet that bothered him no end that he had to stop the concert. First things first, though, Leonard... that means you.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Thank you Marie - I went to the Google alert and immediately checked the forum for the truth of the situation.
Thanks to all.

Michael
smile

Post by smile »

I wish him a speedy recovery from the bout and am glad he`s ok.
Life is love so treasure every day.........
Juan Luis Corcobado

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

"ELPaís", 19,09,09

Cohen suspende su concierto en Valencia tras sufrir un mareo
El cantante canadiense sólo pudo completar media hora de repertorio en su penúltimo concierto en España

FEDERICO SIMÓN | Valencia 18/09/2009

Más de 3.000 personas, que acudieron este viernes por la noche al Velódromo Lluís Puig de Valencia para disfrutar de un espectáculo de música y poesía casi mística oficiada por Leonard Cohen, asistieron impertérritos -nada más sonar las primeras estrofas de Bird on the Wire- al desvahío que hizo que tuviera el escritor y cantante canadiense tuviera que retirarse del escenario antes de que pudiera desmayarse y caerse.

El mareo de Cohen fue provocado por un corte de digestión, que derivó en malestar y vómitos por lo que la organización decidió -una hora después del incidente- cancelar oficialmente el concierto de Valencia, que es el penúltimo de la gira. Fuentes del entorno del cantante aseguran a EL PAÍS que no ha sido un episodio grave, ya que incluso él mismo "quería volver a salir" al escenario.

Cohen, a punto de cumplir los 75 años, actuaba por primera vez en Valencia y parecía estar dispuesto a dar lo mejor de su repertorio en el penúltimo concierto de una gira por España que le ha llevado a Zaragoza y Bilbao para cerrar el lunes próximo en el mítico Palau de Sant Jordi de Barcelona.

El concierto arrancó con el mítico Me to the End of Love. Su repertorio elaborado durante más de cuatro décadas con la precisión de un etólogo a la hora de describir las emociones y los comportamientos humanos mediante canciones que hablan del amor y del odio, evocan el futuro, desentrañan religiones, rinden tributo a la mujer o abordan el sexo como una parte imprescindible de las relaciones. Tocado con su inseparable sombrero, Cohen (Montreal, 1934) abordó así ante un público rendido, en un concierto que se esperaba de casi tres horas, un cancionero que incluía, no podían faltar, las joyas que enriquecen su leyenda bajo títulos como Everybody Knows, Take This Waltz, Hallelujah, Suzanne o la ya eterna Dance Me To The End Of Love.

------------------

Google Translator

Cohen stopped her concert in Valencia after suffering a dizzy spell
The Canadian singer could only complete half hour repertoire in his penultimate concert in Spain

FEDERICO SIMÓN | Valencia FREDERICK SIMON | Valencia 18/09/2009 18/09/2009

More than 3,000 people attended Friday night at the Velodrome Lluís Puig in Valencia to enjoy a performance of music and almost mystical poetry by Leonard Cohen officiated, attended unperturbed sound-just the first stanzas of Bird on the Wire - the desvahío that brought it about Canadian singer and writer had to leave the scene before he could pass out and fall.

Cohen dizziness was caused by a cut of digestion, which resulted in discomfort and vomiting so the organization decided-an-hour after the incident officially cancel the concert in Valencia, which is the penultimate of the tour. Sources say the singer's environment to the country not been a serious incident, and that even he "wanted to go" on stage.

Cohen, about to turn 75 years, acted for the first time in Valencia and was willing to give the best of his repertoire in the penultimate concert of a tour of Spain that has led to Zaragoza and Bilbao to close next Monday in the mythical Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona.

The concert began with the mythical Me to the End of Love. His repertoire developed over four decades with the precision of an ethologist at the time of describing human emotions and behaviors through songs about love and hate, evoke the future, unravel religions, paying tribute to the woman or address the sex as an essential part of relationships. Performed with his inseparable hat, Cohen (Montreal, 1934) addressed an audience so surrendered, in a concert that was expected of nearly three hours, a songbook that included, could not fail, the jewels that enrich his legend under titles such as Everybody Knows , Take This Waltz, Hallelujah, Suzanne and the eternal and Dance Me To The End Of Love.
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Marie and Robert and Tom for this thread and passing on the news to us so fast...
I hope Leonard is feeling better soon and gets some rest.
It was so nice of Dino to let us know....
I was getting ready for a big dinner and my sister in law came in to say she heard on CBC news (Canada) what happened.
I was so glad that I already knew and had read Dino's comment and the forum or I would have been so upset...
Much love and strength to Leonard... :lol:
Mutti Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I don't know what else to say (so many emotions!) but THANK GOD HE IS OKAY!!!! I read the google news alert and was already late getting somehwere so I had to turn off the computer and go...and was a complete wreck for the next few hours with no ability to get news.

I would like to say that I hope footage of this incident does not end up on Youtube, as everything inevitably does. I don't think it's something that needs to be put out there. Having read Wendy's account of what happened, it sounds like something that would be very traumatic to witness. I also hope it doesn't get blown all over the news, and people start to associate this incident with the tour, instead of the 2 years of perfect performances.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by LisaLCFan »

Leonard, please get well, we love you immensely and we want you to be healthy!

My gosh, this was upsetting news! I first heard about it at the tribute show (Leonard Cohen Night) in Edmonton, when the MC came out at the beginning and solemnly announced, "Some of you may have heard the news, earlier today Leonard Cohen collapsed on stage in Spain." :( So, I nearly had a heart-attack, THEN, the MC goes on to say, "Oh, but he's okay, it was just a bit of food poisoning." All I could think of was Leonard, hoping he was truly okay, and wanting to come home to get some news. It really rather spoiled the whole evening, especially since the MC announced it the way he did, freaking us all out like that. My heart was in my mouth, as they say, for quite awhile. Adam Cohen was there (in Edmonton), and he had talked with Leonard (or at least with someone who was in Valencia with him), and all seemed to be well, but still, it was terribly upsetting to hear that our beloved Leonard had collapsed. But, it does seem as though all is well, and that he's fine, so, WHEW! That's the best news of all!

So, Leonard, please take care of yourself! We need you and love you!

(I'll go write a note about the tribute show in the appropriate post.)
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Thank Goodness Leonard is OK. Thanks for update information. I still cannot believe that he can keep going night after night for so long and still keep fit.
So glad he feels better, long may he continue to do so. WE LOVE YOU LEONARD - GET WELL SOON
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Such great news to see that he is doing well and it was nothing serious. You are a real trooper Leonard. Take care and hope to see you in fine fettle in Barcelona. love Tinders x

Return to “News”