Leonard collapsed in Valencia - but everything's OK now!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
brightnow

Leonard collapsed in Valencia - but everything's OK now!

Post by brightnow »

*** Edit: the following was posted as events were unfolding. We now know that Leonard is fine. ***

This is directly from Dino Soldo's twitter stream:
LC has stomach flu. Dehydrated!!!! He has never cancelled a show , so we went on. Collapsed. He's at hospt & is fine! No need 4 concern yet
http://twitter.com/DinoSoldo

:( Praying and hoping for the best...
Last edited by brightnow on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
brightnow

Re: Concerning news

Post by brightnow »

Again, according to Dino:
Being released already. No Problems, peoples.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Take care Leonard.... thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Last edited by tinderella on Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

This is upsetting. I hope and pray he's ok.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks brightnow - I was just posting this in another thread but it disappeared.

And thanks to Dino for keeping us informed.

Hoping that our Leonard is fine and sending love and all good thoughts and prayers.
gever27

Re: Leonard collapsed in Valencia - but is doing well again

Post by gever27 »

it's not easy to a 75 years old man to preform almost every night for 3 hours.
hope he will get better and have some rest as much as he can.
we're all waiting for him this week in israel for a remarkable evening.
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

He may be 75, but he obviously has more energy than most people of any age to keep up the schedule he's been pushing. Hope he gets enough love and energy from his fans and his traveling companions to rebound easily. What a world we live in! To get twitter straight from Dino. So reassuring.
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
Pete

Post by Pete »

brightnow wrote:This is directly from Dino Soldo's twitter stream:
LC has stomach flu. Dehydrated!!!! He has never cancelled a show , so we went on. Collapsed. He's at hospt & is fine! No need 4 concern yet
http://twitter.com/DinoSoldo

:( Praying and hoping for the best...
Sounds like he didn't want to disappoint his fans when maybe he should have postponed if he wasn't feeling 100% beforehand.
get well soon, Leonard

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

I think all of his fans have been worried about the pace he's been keeping up--at age 75--doing 3 hour concerts 2 to3 times a week. I don't think that even Jagger or Springsteen, 10-15 years younger, have kept such a schedule in recent years, if ever. Tho the reports seem to suggest he'll resume touring, I know that, as disappointed as his fans would be, we'd all understand if he decided to cut back or cancel some of his upcoming concerts.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

One word here as well : like all of us I hope he gets well soon! His impressive energy and health seem to have received a blow this time. He needs a break, that is for sure!
I wish him all the health in the world, and for many years from now!

Carmen
iveta

Post by iveta »

Dear God
...from this broken hill His praises they shall ring if it be Your will to let Him sing...
...or just let him get better, singing or relaxing...
Thank you very much. Amen.
Last edited by iveta on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

My heavens, I just read this thread. Dear Leonard, please take care of yourself. As much as we would be torn if you missed a concert (even Barcelona)...the MOST important thing is for you to be healthy. I know that you know how to relax and let it all go. But sometimes our bodies simply don't listen to logic. Please take care. You, above all, are most important. The pace set for the past year and a half has been awesome. As someone said, even Bruce and others 15 years your junior need time to kick back. In fact I know of someone with Bruce on his recent European tour. And he really needed some time to escape from the daily grind.

Whatever you need to do, please do it. We are with you 100 percent! And we LOVE you!

Sending you a huge hug, and wishes for awesome chicken soup! And sleep.....

Lots of love,
Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The bad news came first. The good news came second. It remains concerning news.
Please know, Leonard, that anything you might decide for any concert forthcoming will be understood and respected by all who love you. I'm one of them, and I'm praying for you and that your strength and fortitude remain. If not, I'll always love you, even if I never see you, again. So will everyone else. That's not to suggest that I expect you to cancel the remainder of your tour. If you were to decide to opt out of one or two, however, the fans are not what is most important. You are. You are who is most important to me. I know I'm not alone. May Anjani speak healing words to you and bring you good suggestions on how best to do best with yourself when you're pushing yourself for our sake.

G~d bless you, Leonard.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

From Stuff.co
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... s-on-stage

Leonard Cohen collapses on stage

Stuff.co.nz Last updated 12:21 19/09/2009

Reuters
FORCED OFF STAGE:
Veteran singer Leonard Cohen collapsed on stage in Valencia. The 74-year-old returned to music last year after his former manager swindled his retirement fund.

Band member Javier Mas told Spanish newspaper El Mundo the 74-year-old suffered a "severe attack of indigestion" and vomiting but that his situation was not serious.

Cohen was performing Bird on the Wire about half an hour into the concert in Valencia when he lost his balance as he went to pick up a guitar.

The gig was the penultimate stop on his nine-concert tour of Spain, which is due to end in Barcelona on Monday.

Cohen was forced back on the road for the first time in 15 years last year after his business manager lost his retirement savings.

After his previous tour in the early 1990s, he retreated to a mountain near Los Angeles to become a Buddhist monk.

He resurfaced in 2005, claiming that his former manager and lover Kelley Lynch misappropriated more than $US5 million, reducing his retirement account to $150,000. A Los Angeles court awarded him a $US9 million civil judgment, but he has reportedly not been able to collect from Lynch.

Cohen rose to fame in the late 1960s with his poems, songs and novels steeped in detached romance. His half-sung ballads such as Suzanne, Hallelujah and Bird on a Wire have been widely covered by other artists.

He toured New Zealand in January of this year, playing shows in Wellington and Auckland.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

From AFP
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 7Jzj-p-fZw

Leonard Cohen collapses on stage in Spain: reports
(AFP) – 1 hour ago

MADRID — Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen was forced to cut short a concert in Spain late Friday after he became ill and collapsed on stage, Spanish media said.

A member of his band, Javier Mas, said Cohen suffered a "severe attack of indigestion" and vomiting but that his situation was not serious, the newspaper El Mundo reported on its website.

It said Cohen, who turns 75 on Monday, was performing "Bird on the Wire" about half an hour into the show in the eastern city of Valencia when he lost his balance as he went to pick up a guitar.

He was saved from falling by backup singers, but moments later he collapsed again and was helped off stage to receive treatment from a medical team.

Mas came out almost an hour later to tell the thousands of people gathered in the Luis Puig Velodrome that Cohen would not be returning to the stage that night, but that he hoped to reschedule the show for another time, El Mundo said.

Valencia was the penultimate stop on his nine-concert tour of Spain, which is due to end in Barcelona on Monday.

The Canadian poet, novelist and singer-songwriter emerged in the 1960s with his first album "Songs Of Leonard Cohen", which included one of his best-known songs, "Suzanne".

He quit the music scene in the early 1990s, living at a Buddhist monastery in California, where he was ordained a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk and took the name Jikhan, meaning "silence".

But he was forced to return after being swindled out of his retirement nest egg by his former manager.
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “News”