Isle of Wight 1970 release (October 2009) - all the details

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
tomsakic

Re: Isle of Wight release - all details

Postby tomsakic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 am

IOW release is finally listed at Amazon UK (probably PAL and Region 2). But it has no any info yet and says 1 disc, CD-DVD, and it's listed only under Music section (not under LC's DVD&VHS), so I'll wait until October before ordering it...
WiTS

Postby WiTS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:36 am

Is Suzanne on this new DVD exactly the same as the one on Message to Love?
I found the audio version on 'Message to Love' doubleCD is about 4:12, but the actual timespan of Suzanne on MTL DVD only show around 3 mins. Moreover, on MTL DVD, Lenny sings Suzanne from the second verse. Hope this new DVD/BluRay will contain the whole song of Suzanne.
Last edited by WiTS on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://site.douban.com/137869/ Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 pm

On "Message of Love", Suzanne is only partial, abridged version; it fades in at half of the song. You can see it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqu3U05tkAw - it starts with "Jesus was sailor", that's 2nd verse, then it's cut at 01:04 (the chorus is cut off), and then it's the last verse of the song.
cohenadmirer

Postby cohenadmirer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:03 pm

thanks very much to Jarkko for the review and all the efforts for the world premiere in barcelona. i hope it can be reshown on monday - i doubt i'll be there in time for the sunday showing , and im sure i'm not the only one

all in all it is going to be an amazing few days in barcelona .Here's hoping though that the predicted ' heavy rain' for monday holds off !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Tom Sakic wrote:IOW release is finally listed at Amazon UK (probably PAL and Region 2). But it has no any info yet and says 1 disc, CD-DVD, and it's listed only under Music section (not under LC's DVD&VHS), so I'll wait until October before ordering it...
Tom. I pre-ordered from Amazon (US), but I don't understand the description.
What will I be receiving?

On the main page it says:
Live From The Isle of Wight (CD/DVD) [LIVE]

But the drill down product details only refer to the audio CD:

Product Details
Audio CD (October 20, 2009)
Original Release Date: October 20, 2009
Number of Discs: 2

Thanks, Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
WiTS

Postby WiTS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Tom Sakic wrote:On "Message of Love", Suzanne is only partial, abridged version; it fades in at half of the song. You can see it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqu3U05tkAw - it starts with "Jesus was sailor", that's 2nd verse, then it's cut at 01:04 (the chorus is cut off), and then it's the last verse of the song.
Thanks, Tom. Yes, that's what exactlly I found on MTL. However, after several hours downloading, it seems to be two different versions of MTL. 1st one is that Lenny appears right after Tiny Tim's 'There'll always be an England'; 2nd one is that a short coversation between Miles Davis' session and Lenny's performance.
WiTS wrote:
...and on MTL DVD, before Lenny section, there is a conversation about Bethlehem. What were they exactly saying?

Male 1: It's not going to Bethlehem..
Female: (Giggling) go to isle of wight
Male 2: Why is not like on Bethlehem?
Male 1: What I mean is they all go to see where little baby jesus came to be. we're all here to see Leonard Cohen.
Female: Pink Floyd?
Male 1: No, we can see Leonard Cohen!

Is it right? Gosh...my poor English... :oops:
Is that true that there are two versions of MTL? or even more versions? As far as I've got here, performances in these two versions are in different editing order. And the beginning is quite different, 2nd one has a Isle of Wight background introduction before the scene of rushing audience. Sorry for a bit off topic. Anyway, just want to confirm the content of that short conversation posted above.
http://site.douban.com/137869/ Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
Okudzhava

Postby Okudzhava » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:03 am

Yeah, as Tom said.

It's pretty weird; Amazon track list ( http://tinyurl.com/mksv82 ) is different from both DVD and CD tracklists from page 1 of this thread. Best to wait and see...
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:25 pm

According to Jarkko, there should be 1 CD (with full show) and one DVD (with Murray Lenster's documentary with parts of the show).
Okudzhava

Postby Okudzhava » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Yes Tom, we know that (it's Lerner, btw ;-) ). It's just weird that Amazon puts tracklist info that doesn't fit DVD nor CD tracklists description from Jarkko's post on the first page. Like some mix of both tracklists. Of course we trust our admin on this one, as the man actually saw Lerner's film.

Anyhow, 4 more weeks! :D
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Lerner, yeah. I knew it's worng.
You know, I am really upset this morning, you can imagine.
Okudzhava

Postby Okudzhava » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:46 pm

I know what you mean...

Ma biće sve u redu, drugar... ;-)
yaniv297

Postby yaniv297 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:41 pm

As far as I can see the amazon songlist is the same as the real one, with "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "Nancy" missing at the end.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited about this... it's going to be a great live CD. The setlist is glorious - One of us Cannot Be Wrong, Stranger Song, Nancy, Diamonds in the Mine and more! It's also going to be great hearing "Bird on a Wire" "Marianne" and more in an acoustic arrangement once again, as opposed to live in london. Judging by "Sing Another Song Boys" (from Songs of Love and Hate), Leonard sounded great at that concert. I've got a feeling it's going to be as good, if not better, than Live in London.
schubert

Postby schubert » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:00 am

Yes I'm extremely excited too as the date draws nearer :) Funny thing is I was at the Isle of Wight as a young 17 year old and didnt know Leonard then,
and have no recollection of seeing him,I believe he was on after Jimi Hendrix who I do remember very well(a brilliant set).It was about 3 months after that when I first heard Leonard and totally loved him.Roll on October 20. :D
dannycarey

Postby dannycarey » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 am

One Question:

Does anyone know if there will be a Bluray for us in Europe?
Anyway....i cant find the CD/DVD-set for order on Amazon.de,just a 2-CD set....Im a little bit confused :roll: :shock:
jeremek

Postby jeremek » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi !

Does somebody know, what this edition will be within range ? Will it be possible to buy in Poland ?
(not in the Internet :)

Beata-Maria
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always

Return to “News”