Isle of Wight 1970 release (October 2009) - all the details

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
maureen

Re: Isle of Wight release - all details

Post by maureen »

Hi Parsifal,
Yes I remember Gary Farr, I have vinyl albums that at the moment we can't play, no record deck set up. Also have in the last year have got hold of Take Something With You on cd. It holds fond memories of when I used to see him play at The Roundhouse in London, around about 68-69 probably, saw him play quite a lot(so my memory tells me!) I still really enjoy listening to him. Like I've said in another thread, I was at the I.O.W and remember Jeff Dexter really well from the Roundhouse days too. Did you ever see him play then,Regards Maureen
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Yeah, let's give Gary a chance! He was after all trying to maintain the hippie dream as best he could. I can understand his outrage when the anarchists were tearing down the fence rather than pay £3.00 for a ticket. It was inevitable that he would reach boiling point when he realised how much money he would lose, after all his efforts. I don't think his comment about Leonard should be taken too seriously, and we know in retrospect that Leonard found it amusing.

I keep running into Jeff Dexter - mostly on the Southbank. The striking straight blond hair has gone, or rather receded. He always wears a whire suit and cap. I first saw him at a Roger McGuinn concert (where I was introduced to him). Recently, I saw him from a distance at Buffy Sainte Marie. He also came to Anjani's concert at the Pigalle Club, which I went to with Julie Feix. We chatted with him, and Julie remarked that we were all Isle of Wight veterans.

All good things, John E
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

maureen wrote:Hi Parsifal,
Yes I remember Gary Farr, I have vinyl albums that at the moment we can't play, no record deck set up. Also have in the last year have got hold of Take Something With You on cd. It holds fond memories of when I used to see him play at The Roundhouse in London, around about 68-69 probably, saw him play quite a lot(so my memory tells me!) I still really enjoy listening to him. Like I've said in another thread, I was at the I.O.W and remember Jeff Dexter really well from the Roundhouse days too. Did you ever see him play then,Regards Maureen
Hi, Maureen

Sadly, I never saw Gary Farr, or many people from that wonderous era of music, owing to having been born into the wrong generation (1967, instead of 1947). I've always felt that IofW '70 must have been the defining rock festival. Looking at the bill, I'd pay good money to see about three quarters of the acts there and wouldn't turn down comps to see the remainder. :)

You probably know that Gary moved to the States, made one final album, then became a photographer. He died of a heart attack in 1994. His three albums are all available on CD.

His brother Ricky is, apparently, now doing time in Arizona for tax evasion. They were the sons of legendary interwar heavyweight boxer Tommy Farr.

So, what exactly is Jeff Dexter doing these days? He defined a part of the British Underground and was one of the principal contributors to Jonathan Green's Days In The Life book of a few years back. But nowadays, he doesn't seem that visible.... :?:
maureen

Post by maureen »

Hi Parsifal,
Yes I did know that Gary had died, but didn't know about Ricky. Yeah I used to go first to Middle Earth and then Implosion when that stopped,fortunately at the time I lived in London so it was easy to get to places like that. Jeff Dexter I just remember as a elflike person bopping around, I have no idea what he's doing now. I hadn't heard of the book by Jonathan Green that you mentioned, must look out for it. Saw so many bands and singers there over a period of a few years,it was a magical time, I'm sure that you've heard it said before, but we didn't know that it was only for a short time, we thought that it was forever! I guess thats why looking back with such memories mean such a lot. I suppose that in many ways it has been forever, 40 years on and its still the music and communication that mean a lot to me. It certainly shaped me for life. I'm so glad that I was there! Do you know the ukrock festival site. Well about 5 years ago I came across it, and found myself in a photo taken at Phun City, a free festival on a few months before I.O.W '70, Then last week in another thread on this forum, someone mentioned it in relation to Leonard playing there, I went and had another look, and some new photos from I.O.W '70 had been put on in June this year, well knock me down there I was again in another photo. Amazing eh! Am really looking forward to Leonard at I.O.W being released, hopefully it'll jog a few more brain cells. Think I'll put on Message To Love now, I'm just in the mood for it!! Take care then.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The DVD seems to be 1:04:24
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Sounds ok.

Any info on the bonus section of the DVD, jarkko? Are the Kris & Joan interviews in the regular part or in the bonus section, and was mr. Cohen interviewed as well for this edition?
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I got an advance DVD copy today (for showing it in Barcelona). Will watch it tonight and give some comments.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

"I'm all ears" - Dumbo
maureen

Post by maureen »

Hi Jarkko,

Have you any more on the Sony/Legacy "Member Pre-sale Coming Soon", It would be good if it were to happen soon, looking forward to hearing your comments about the dvd, as I'm sure we all are.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I haven't heard more about the pre-sale (will ask today when sending my thank-you for the advance copy and permission to show the video in Barcelona).

Eija and I watched the film last night. It was like stepping into a time machine. Leonard has gone a long road since 1970, but haven't we all! There were 600.000 people at the festival and it looked as chaotic as Woodstock. Leonard performed at 4 am in the morning in total darkness (he asked the audience to light matches so that he could see them), dressed in a safari suit (not pyjamas as Kris K says in his interview) with his hippie-looking band (I am sure his present band will love to see their early colleagues!).

We are lucky to finally have this nostalgic documentary. Unfortunately the whole gig was not filmed, but all footage they have has been included! The audio CD has the complete concert in the original order.

The film gives us glimpses of not just the concert but the atmosphere both on stage and in the festival area. Songs from "Bird" to "Nancy" are complete. "Marianne" is only heard during the credits. The interviews are placed between the songs but they are pretty short.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jarkko wrote:Eija and I watched the film last night. It was like stepping into a time machine. Leonard has gone a long road since 1970, but haven't we all!
Thanks for the first review Jarkko. I am so looking forward to seeing this DVD for the first time - hopefully in Barcelona. I didn't go to the Isle of Wight (I was just 15 and my mum would never have let me travel "overseas" on my own or with my boyfriend at that age) but I did go to my first festival (Bath) in 1970 so I suspect I too will feel as if I have stepped aboard that time machine!

Wendy
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Thanks for the review, jarkko.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Exciting review Jarkko. Anyone in this day and age who attempts to film what it was like "back then" can never hit the mark. Whether it was Woodstock or Isle of Wight or any of a myriad of non-mega concerts, that feeling was special and the moments can never be recreated EXCEPT when we are able to view the original. Mind you, we may be a bit cleaner, and the air in our living room may have a different aroma than live at the concert, but how thrilling to see the crowds, hear the songs, and see a much younger Leonard! Can't wait for the release!

Even though I won't be there :cry: I hope you get the okay to show it at Barcelona! What a treat.

Diana
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I hope you get the okay to show it at Barcelona! What a treat.
Thanks to our friendly contacts at Legacy, we already have got the permission!! Jorcx and Toni will let you know where and when the "world premiere" will take place in Barcelona (probably Sunday afternoon Sept 20)
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

jarkko wrote:
I hope you get the okay to show it at Barcelona! What a treat.
Thanks to our friendly contacts at Legacy, we already have got the permission!! Jorcx and Toni will let you know where and when the "world premiere" will take place in Barcelona (probably Sunday afternoon Sept 20)
Any chance of a repeat performance for those of us who arrive later on Sunday (perhaps on Monday after the lunch???)
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September

Return to “News”