Isle of Wight 1970 release (October 2009) - all the details

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bigdee

Re: Isle of Wight release - all details

Post by bigdee »

Maybe they might have the video of the missing songs hidden on the discs as "easter eggs" for us to find for ourselves. Sort of like what Neil Young did with some things on his Archives boxset. Seems like everyone is doing that these days. A few months ago I re-watched a dvd, that I bought a few years ago, of Eric Clapton at the Crossroads festival and found a hidden track on it. Of course they could also just add them as a standard bonus feature on the discs (assuming they were indeed filmed), but, that wouldn't be much fun now would it? Either way, there is a way they could include them without compromising Mr. Lerner's artistic license to create a film as his wishes to create it. Of course the suits at Sony could be planning wait a few years then re-release it in an updated version to included video of the full concert (like they did with The Who's set). As any smart business man would say "why milk the cash-cow once when you can do it twice", right?
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

"then re-release it in an updated version to included video of the full concert (like they did with The Who's set)"

Good point. They didn't re-release the full set though, they just added 2 new songs ("Substitute" and "Naked Eye") in the bonus section. It's still missing about 30 minutes of their gig, and the songs are still out of order, while some of them have completely different footage of them performing (obviously a different song) added to audio. Some shots are repeated several times. There's a fan-made DVD circulating with the proper song order, though.
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Okudzhava wrote:"then re-release it in an updated version to included video of the full concert (like they did with The Who's set)"

Good point. They didn't re-release the full set though, they just added 2 new songs ("Substitute" and "Naked Eye") in the bonus section. It's still missing about 30 minutes of their gig, and the songs are still out of order, while some of them have completely different footage of them performing (obviously a different song) added to audio. Some shots are repeated several times. There's a fan-made DVD circulating with the proper song order, though.
I didn't realize this was the case with the new edition I have. I have to admit, while I'm a fan of The Who enough to buy the dvd, I'm not enough of a fan to know all the facts about their setlists, running order, and such. Of course the fact the notes on the back of the dvd are misleading don't help. As they read "The complete high energy 85 minute performance of The Who is now reproduced in superb quality on this dvd....". Score! Another point for the suits by misleading the consumer into thinking they're getting something that really isn't what it claims to be.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

""The complete high energy 85 minute performance of The Who is now reproduced in superb quality on this dvd...."

Ha! Their complete set (available on 2 CD package) lasted for exactly 2 hours. Tracklist here:

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module= ... item_id=97

P.S. for mods: sorry for the off-topic post... but then again, it is kinda on topic!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I got email from Sony/Legacy asking me to let the Forum/Files members know that there is a "Member Pre-sale Coming Soon"
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Good for them, Jarkko. Maybe after I buy Live in London DVD, though;) I still didn't buy that one, because the Croatian prices are not encouraging me to buy the product which is actually the DVD capture of on-screens live-editing during the show in the music venue, and not the properly directed, scripted, and edited live DVD.

Thanks, Okudzhava, and others, for really interesting facts and writings, even if I don't know much about the Who.

As the film critic and scholar, I do respect Mr. Lerner's wish to make his music documentary, and I'd watch it with special interest as it's about Leonard Cohen. (But I hardly believe anybody will succeed the late Harry Rasky in doing a good Leonard Cohen documentary.) Of course, it doesn't change the fact that there's NO Isle of Wight performance on DVD as we were thinking - we can conclude now that Sony Legacy is releasing the full performance on CD (and LP), while DVD has Mr. Lerner's documentary.

Of course, bigdee is right, if there are footage, the typical idea always is to release it later in entirety. But I guess Lerner would use some of the songs which are on CD but missing on his DVD, so I presume that Okudzhava is right, and that probably they didn't capture the complete Cohen set on the film stock.
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

Tom Sakic wrote: Of course, it doesn't change the fact that there's NO Isle of Wight performance on DVD as we were thinking .............
apart from

Disc One: DVD – Chapters: 1. Intro: Diamonds In The Mine • 2. Famous Blue Raincoat • 3. “It’s A Large Nation” • 4. Bird On The Wire • 5. One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong • 6. The Stranger Song • 7. Tonight Will Be Fine • 8. “They’ve Surrounded The Island” • 9. Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye • 10. Sing Another Song Boys • 11. Judy Collins Introduces Suzanne • 12. Suzanne • 13. Joan Baez On The Isle Of Wight • 14. The Partisan • 15. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy • 16. Credits: So Long, Marianne • Bonus Interviews: Bob Johnston • Judy Collins • Joan Baez • Kris Kristofferson.

Which still amounts to a fair amount of the concert on in full colour DVD type images, surely, even if Mr Lerner has mucked it about in his usual questionable style!
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

jarkko wrote:I got email from Sony/Legacy asking me to let the Forum/Files members know that there is a "Member Pre-sale Coming Soon"
Thank you so much Jarkko! No matter all the little details, I am sure the majority of us are looking forward to this intensely! Appreciate your information, and also the presale that Sony will be offering!

All the best,
Diana
elcord

Post by elcord »

I just hope we don't get any of the execrable MC "Rikki" on the DVD - that WOULD spoil it. Watched Message To Love again yesterday and what a bore he was, so I hope he was asleep at the time of the Cohen concert.
Melbourne 1980, Sydney 1985, Melbourne, 2009, Hobart 2010
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

You mean this fella?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnO4NxOO ... re=related

Probably the most memorable quote from the film, he was spot on.
Pope

Post by Pope »

So when the pre-sale?
Glyn
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

If everything clicks into place, we may show the Isle of Wight DVD in Barcelona on Sunday evening (Sept 20). This private showing (for members only) would be some kind of world premiere! Many details are still open, but we are working on this.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Jarkko,

That would be such a priviledge for those of us lucky enough to be able to attend! Thank you for trying to work this out.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

elcord wrote:I just hope we don't get any of the execrable MC "Rikki" on the DVD - that WOULD spoil it. Watched Message To Love again yesterday and what a bore he was, so I hope he was asleep at the time of the Cohen concert.

Ah, c'mon! Rikki Farr MAKES that festival! Just watching him progress from vibes n'peace earnestness to Mansonite nihilism during the course of of the three days was one of the defining experiences of being there, apparently. :D

Anyone aware of his singer-songwriter brother Gary?
elcord

Post by elcord »

I agree Rikki's emotional rollercoaster ride is central to and provides tension to Message To Love (and no doubt his summation of the freeloaders is the best line in the film); but my point is that his presence would - for me at least - ruin the Cohen concert. Especially as Mr Farr is reported to have commented that Leonard Cohen "is an old bore, overpaid and he should F#@8 off back to Canada". Nice one Rikki.
Melbourne 1980, Sydney 1985, Melbourne, 2009, Hobart 2010

Return to “News”