Isle of Wight 1970 release (October 2009) - all the details

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Isle of Wight 1970 release (October 2009) - all the details

Post by jarkko »

The CD/DVD set, the BluRay disc, and the 2LPset will all be released on October 20.
In US the BluRay will be available at Amazon.com only. In other parts of the world it will be sold by all record/DVD sellers.

LEGACY's PRESS RELEASE:

2009: LEONARD COHEN’S STELLAR COMEBACK YEAR CAPPED BY DVD DEBUT OF 1970 CONCERT PERFORMANCE

LEONARD COHEN LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970

TWO-DISC DVD+CD PACKAGE COUPLES
FESTIVAL DOCUMENTARY FILM BY MURRAY LERNER
WITH AUDIO RECORDING BY TEO MACERO

Live versions of classic songs from first two Leonard Cohen LPs: “So Long, Marianne,” “The Stranger Song,” “Hey, That’s No Way To Say Good¬bye,” “Suzanne,” “Bird On The Wire,” “You Know Who I Am,” “The Partisan,”
and more, plus poetry and stories to calm the 600,000 at Isle Of Wight

DVD documentary adds 2009 interviews with fellow festival performers Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Bob Johnston, and Kris Kristofferson

Available at both physical and digital retail outlets starting Oct. 20, 2009, through Columbia/Legacy – also available in double-LP and Blu-ray configurations – releases coincide with latest dates on Cohen’s first full-scale U.S. tour in 15 years, Oct. 17th through Nov.13th

“‘All those people had been sitting out there in the rain, after they’d set fire to Hendrix’s stage,’ Bob Johnston recalls, ‘and nobody had slept for days. And then Leonard came out and he started out singing ‘Like… a … bird’ – singing it so slowly that everybody in that audience was exactly with him. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever heard. And that’s what saved that show and saved the festival.’”
– Bob Johnston, as told to Sylvie Simmons, from the liner notes to LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970

Nearly 40 summers ago on August 31, 1970, 35-year-old Leonard Cohen was awakened at 2 a.m. from a nap in his trailer and brought onstage to perform with his band at the third annual Isle Of Wight music festival. The audience of 600,000 was in a fiery and frenzied mood, after turning the festival into a political arena, trampling the fences, setting fire to structures and equipment – and stoked by the most incendiary performance of Jimi Hendrix’s career, less than three weeks before his death.

As Cohen followed Hendrix’s set, onlookers (and fellow festival headliners) Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson, Judy Collins and others stood sidestage in awe as the Canadian folksinger-songwriter-poet-novelist quietly tamed the crowd. Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker Murray Lerner, whose footage of the 1970 festival did not begin to see release until 1995, was able to capture Cohen’s performance. Likewise, Columbia Records staff A&R producer Teo Macero, who was ostensibly there to record Miles Davis’ set, did a brilliant job of supervising Cohen’s live recording as well.

LEONARD COHEN LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 is a fascinating and timely portrait of the artist as a young man, just three years into his recording career (though he was already a published poet and novel¬ist for 15 years). As he mesmerizes the Isle Of Wight audience, Cohen intersperses a baker’s dozen songs with tales both real and apocryphal, as well as a handful of his poems. In pristine condition after nearly four decades in the archive, the video and audio programs will be available together as a deluxe two-disc DVD+CD package at all physical and digital retail outlets starting October 20th through Columbia/Legacy, a division of SONY MUSIC ENTER¬TAIN-MENT. A double-LP vinyl set will be released on the same date.

LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 will also be available on Blu-ray, exclusively through Amazon.com [in US]

The CD (and double-LP) of LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 represent the 77-minute concert set as performed by Cohen and his backup band: Bob Johnston (Cohen’s Nashville-based Columbia A&R staff producer), and Nashville musicians Charlie Daniels (electric bass, fiddle), Ron Cornelius (lead guitar), and Elkin ‘Bubba’ Fowler (bass, banjo). They were joined by backup singers Corlynn Hanney, Susan Musmanno, and Donna Washburn. During the course of their European tour – which Cohen only agreed to undertake if Johnston (producer of Cohen’s most recent LP, Songs From A Room) would manage him and organize the band – the group began to call themselves The Army, owing to the battles they were subjected to by audiences on the road.

The DVD (and Blu-ray) of LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 is a masterwork by Murray Lerner, known for his work on Festival!, his Oscar-nominated 1969 documentary of the Newport Folk Festivals. His work on that film spurred the Isle Of Wight promoters to bring him aboard and document their festival – whose violence turned it into the last of the three original Isle Of Wight festivals of 1968, 1969, and 1970. (Bob Dylan put the festival on the map when he performed there in 1968, his first public performance since recovering from his fabled motorcycle crash of 1966.)

Lerner’s Isle of Wight footage went unfunded for decades until 1995, when the multi-artist Message To Love (with its brief snippet of Cohen singing “Suzanne”) was finally issued on video. Since then, Lerner’s documentary-style Isle of Wight videos on the 1970 performances by Miles Davis, The Who, and Jimi Hendrix have inspired a new generation of music fans. In 1980, Lerner’s From Mao to Mozart: Isaac Stern In China won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Adding further historic provenance to LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 is a newly commissioned 2,000-word liner notes essay written by veteran British rock journalist and BBC commentator Sylvie Simmons. Author of well-received biographies on Neil Young (Reflections In Broken Glass, 2003), Serge Gainsbourg and others, Simmons previously wrote liner notes for the 2003 Sony International compilation MOJO Presents An Introduction To Leonard Cohen.

“Before he sang,” Simmons writes, “Cohen talked to the hundreds of thousands of people he couldn’t see. He told them – sedately – a story that sounded like a parable and a bedtime story, that worked like hypnotism and at the same time tested the temper¬a-ture of the crowd. He described how his father would take him to the circus as a child. Leonard didn’t much like circuses, but he enjoyed the part where a man would stand up and ask everyone to light a match so they could locate each other in the darkness. ‘Can I ask each of you to light a match,’ Leonard asked the audience, ‘so I can see where you all are?’”

All but three of the songs on LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 originated on Cohen’s first two LPs, his debut Songs Of Leonard Cohen from 1967 (“So Long, Marianne,” “One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong,” “The Stranger Song,” “Hey, That’s No Way To Say Good¬bye,” “Suzanne”); and Songs From A Room from 1969 (“Bird On The Wire,” “You Know Who I Am,” “Tonight Will Be Fine,” “The Partisan,” “Seems So Long Ago, Nancy”). The three other songs – “Diamonds In The Mine,” “Sing Another Song Boys,” and “Famous Blue Raincoat” – were destined for Cohen’s third album, 1971’s Songs of Love and Hate (which actually reprised the Isle of Wight live version of “Sing Another Song Boys”).

The October 20th release of LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 coincides with the next leg of Cohen’s first full-scale U.S. tour in 15 years, opening October 17th at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida (Fort Lauderdale), ending November 13th at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. (Please see complete itinerary below.)

Cohen made history earlier this year when – in between critically acclaimed concerts in Canada, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand – he played New York’s Beacon Theatre in February, followed by California’s Coachella Festival in April. These were his first U.S. performances since 1994, the year that he commenced a five-year retreat at the Mt. Baldy Zen Center atop a mountain in the San Gabriel Forest.

Cohen returned to recording and touring in 1999, when he released the studio album Ten New Songs in 2001. The live album Field Commander Cohen came in 2001 (culled from British tour dates back in 1979); and the studio album Dear Heather in 2004. 2006 marked the release of Blue Alert, the debut album by Anjani Thomas, a protégé of Cohen since the ’80s, produced by Cohen, with all songs co-written by Cohen and Anjani. On March 10, 2008, Leonard Cohen was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at the 23rd annual dinner ceremony. In March 2009, Cohen released Live In London as a DVD and as a separate double-CD package, a 5-star album recorded at the O2 Arena in 2008.

Along the way, Leonard Cohen became the first Canadian-born artist ‘inducted’ into Legacy Recordings’ prestigious Essential series – when The Essential Leonard Cohen was issued in 2002. The 31-song compilation was personally chosen by the artist, with selections that ranged from Songs Of Leonard Cohen through 2001’s Ten New Songs. In May 2007, Columbia/Legacy issued expanded editions of Songs Of Leonard Cohen, Songs From A Room, and Songs Of Love and Hate, each with multiple tracks of previously unreleased bonus material.

All of the tracks on LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 were written by Leonard Cohen except the highly-charged “The Partisan,” originally a French song of World War II heroism and resistance. The English translation was penned by Tin Pan Alley song¬smith Hy Zaret, of “Unchained Melody” and “One Meatball” renown. Joan Baez had been singing “The Partisan” for years, and at Isle of Wight Cohen dedicated the song to her “and the work she is doing.” (Baez finally got around to recording “The Partisan” on her 1972 album, Come From the Shadows, whose title came from a line in the song.)

Joan Baez – whose performance preceded Hendrix at Isle of Wight – is among the quartet of fellow festival performers who bear witness to Lerner in 2009, along with Judy Collins, Bob Johnston, and Kris Kristofferson. Their interviews add to the historic impact of LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970.

“It was a brilliant performance,” Simmons writes, “and Lerner’s cameras captured Cohen’s commanding presence, hypnotist’s charm, and an intimacy that would seem unfeasible in such a vast, inhospitable space.” As Johnston sums up, “It was magical, from the first moment to the last. I’ve never seen anything like it. He was just remarkable.”

DVD + CD:

(Columbia/Legacy 88697 57067 2)

Disc One: DVD – Chapters: 1. Intro: Diamonds In The Mine • 2. Famous Blue Raincoat • 3. “It’s A Large Nation” • 4. Bird On The Wire • 5. One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong • 6. The Stranger Song • 7. Tonight Will Be Fine • 8. “They’ve Surrounded The Island” • 9. Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye • 10. Sing Another Song Boys • 11. Judy Collins Introduces Suzanne • 12. Suzanne • 13. Joan Baez On The Isle Of Wight • 14. The Partisan • 15. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy • 16. Credits: So Long, Marianne • Bonus Interviews: Bob Johnston • Judy Collins • Joan Baez • Kris Kristofferson.
Disc Two: CD – Selections: 1. Introduction • 2. Bird On The Wire • 3. Intro to So Long, Marianne • 4. So Long, Marianne • 5. Intro: “Let’s renew ourselves now...” • 6. You Know Who I Am • 7. Intro to Poems • 8. Lady Midnight • 9. They Locked Up A Man (poem)/A Person Who Eats Meat/Intro • 10. One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong • 11. The Stranger Song • 12. Tonight Will Be Fine • 13. Hey, That’s No Way To Say Good¬bye • 14. Diamonds In The Mine • 15. Suzanne • 16. Sing Another Song, Boys • 17. The Partisan • 18. Famous Blue Raincoat • 19. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy.

Blu-ray

(Columbia/Legacy 88697 588299 1)

Chapters: 1. Intro: Diamonds In The Mine • 2. Famous Blue Raincoat • 3. “It’s A Large Nation” • 4. Bird On The Wire • 5. One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong • 6. The Stranger Song • 7. Tonight Will Be Fine • 8. “They’ve Surrounded The Island” • 9. Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye • 10. Sing Another Song Boys • 11. Judy Collins Introduces Suzanne • 12. Suzanne • 13. Joan Baez On The Isle Of Wight • 14. The Partisan • 15. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy • 16. Credits: So Long, Marianne • Bonus Interviews: Bob Johnston • Judy Collins • Joan Baez • Kris Kristofferson.

Vinyl double-LP:

(Columbia/Legacy 88697 57067 2)

LP One: Selections – Side one: 1. Introduction • 2. Bird On The Wire • 3. Intro to So Long, Marianne • 4. So Long, Marianne • 5. Intro: “Let’s renew ourselves now...” • 6. You Know Who I Am • Side two: 1 Intro to Poems • 2 Lady Midnight • 3 They Locked Up A Man (poem)/A Person Who Eats Meat/Intro • 4 One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong • 5 The Stranger Song.
LP Two: Selections – Side one: 1. Tonight Will Be Fine • 2. Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye • 3. Diamonds In The Mine • 4. Suzanne • Side two: 1 Sing Another Song, Boys • 2 The Partisan • 3 Famous Blue Raincoat • 4 Seems So Long Ago, Nancy.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Isle of Wight release - all details

Post by jarkko »

Here is the cover picture in bigger size (0,5 MB)!

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/wightcover-big.jpg
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

My brain is trying to process these infromation...

So, CD has FULL concert recording, while DVD has only part of it in DIFFERENT track order (and it's advertised as "documentary film")?
mirka

Post by mirka »

jarkko wrote: LEGACY's PRESS RELEASE:
“Before he sang,” Simmons writes, “Cohen talked to the hundreds of thousands of people he couldn’t see. He told them – sedately – a story that sounded like a parable and a bedtime story, that worked like hypnotism and at the same time tested the temper¬a-ture of the crowd.
hmmm... looks like hypnotism worked fine and half asleep and fully exhausted audience remembers his performance as "the one which saved that show and saved the festival".
Some 40 years later he hypnotized next generation into experiencing "the best concert ever".
I like that ! :D :razz:
btw major label picks up Leonard Cohen, vinyl PL's are considered collector's item, and Costco sells Pilates equipment -- the end of the world must be coming soon....
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

That's a shame that the DVD/BluRay doesn't seem to be the complete set list (perhaps Murray Lerner's original film didn't get all of it), v disappointed there's no Lady Midnight visuals. Still, am incredibly excited about getting to see what there is in crisp HD :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan »

Is it still being called My Sad and Famous Songs?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

No. The title is on the cover - see the first message of this thread.
elcord

Post by elcord »

I'm devastated - no You Know Who I Am on the DVD. I have been so excited about this release as it is THE concert I was hoping to finally hear in full having listened for decades to Sing Another Song, Boys and Tonight Will Be Fine. To think I was finally going to witness Leonard Cohen singing You Know Who I Am, the song that first hooked me (immediately) on Cohen when I first heard it when I was about 11 years old on the Fill Your Head With Rock compilation. Ive seen three concerts (in Australia), 1980, 1985 and 2009 and he has never performed You Know Who I Am - and this was going to be it. I would very happily forgoe another version of So Long Marianne and Suzanne for YKWIA. Looking at the full concert set on the CD it is interesting to see that the missing songs and poems on the DVD are all in a block in the centre of the concert set. Perhaps there was a problem filming at this time - that can surely be the only explanation for not including these pieces and perhaps explains the reason the concert has been chopped up and put out of order, since the running order was corrupted anyway. Was desperately hoping to *see* the concert in full, in order, like the DVD of the current tour. Still excited, still grateful for the release, but bitterly disappointed about the missing songs and running order of the DVD.

One compensation may be that I expect we will see Leonard 'playing hands' :shock: Listening to a recording from the concert of One of Us Cannot Be Wrong posted on YouTube Leonard does indeed play hands! I will be interested to see how many in the audience are left catatonic when his hands leave the guitar! Note: this is a reference to some chat in the 1968 BBC concert, just in case my comment seemed obscure ;-)
Melbourne 1980, Sydney 1985, Melbourne, 2009, Hobart 2010
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

Does anyone know what Corlynn Hanney, Susan Musmanno, and/or Donna Washburn went on to do in the years that followed?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I googled them few years back.

Corlynn Hanney has website and releases spiritual CDs. http://www.corlynnhanney.com and http://www.myspace.com/corlynnhanney

Susan Musmanno aka Aileen Fowler, her husband is Buba Fowler: http://www.aethomas.com/
Susan Mussmano's emails to Jarkko and Leonard Cohen Newsgroup in 1999 tells that Susan Mussmano married Leonard's band member Buba Fowler and that another Leonard's back-up singer Aileen Fowler is actually she. Complete correspondence here: http://lcngarc.twoshakesofalambstail.com/199909.html (scroll down to "Request from a member of THE ARMY" posted by Jarkko Arjatsalo)
Yes, I am Susan Musmanno. I met and fell in love with Bubba Fowler on
that first Cohen tour in 1970. His full name is Elkin Thomas Fowler.
Bubba was a nickname. We use his first and middle names professionally,
and I use my middle name, Aileen -- Aileen and Elkin Thomas. The names
were first
given to us by Cohen and company. After we
began courting, the group 'dubbed' us Aileen and Elkin, and the names
stuck. They represented our alter egos to us - and they came with the
vision of a simpler, more integrated life, which has become our reality.

Leonard loved it that we met and fell in love on tour with him -- he called
us 'the Lovers' and warmed himself at our fire. He was, and is, a great
artist -- certainly the greatest one we have working in song.
If you have seen the movie of the 1970 Isle of Wight festival (called
Message to Love), I am the brunette standing next to Cohen. It was a
crazy, crazy time -- the Kent State killings happened when we were on tour
in Germany -- Leonard addressed it with some kind of beautifully obscure
poetic reference during a concert, and when we got to Munich we were met
with police and German police dogs, and things got pretty strange. He gave
the Nazi salute, and a hiss went up from the crowd. But he wooed them and
won them with his hypnotic charm. (The police were another matter
entirely.) At the Isle of Wight, we went on at about three AM after Jimi
Hendrix (it turned out to be his last concert) It was beginning to feel
like people were dropping all around us. Interestingly, Charlie Daniels
(who became a country music star) was in the Cohen back-up band with us,
and threatened to quit, saying, "I didn't come over here to fight no war --
I'm just a guitar player!" LOL

Well, the story is too long to tell, and we are literally heading out the
door right now for a three-week concert tour -- still playing and singing
music for a living.
After Elkin and I met, we retreated to the wilderness for a number of
years, living aboard a boat at first, and then settling on a farm on the
north Texas prairie. The music business, as it turned out, is no fit
place
for artists -- it is peopled largely by freaks and monsters and
exhibitionists, not to mention the lawyers. The constant pressure for
product, preferably 'hits,' has been the death of greater talents than
ours. Leonard wanted us to accompany him to Europe again, but we were
determined to create a life for ourselves.

After several years of no music at all, we began harvesting some
songs from our own little lives, and picking and singing them on guitar,
banjo, and bass. (I learned how to play the electric bass when Elkin
insisted idle hands were unthinkable in a duo) We have carved out a little
niche for ourselves in the smalltime folk music scene -- we think we have
the best of all possible worlds. We make a good living, own 100% of
ourselves and our recorded work, live simply, and create songs that we love
like children. Mostly, we have the greatest luxury of all -- time alone to
enjoy one another and live the mystery called Life.

Do tell Jim that I can absolutely confirm that Amsterdam was the first stop
on that tour. He is missing some other dates, though. We also played
Leeds in England that May. And a lot more concerts in North America. Did
either of you know that Mama Michele Phillips of the Mamas and Papas, sang
with me as the second female singer on a leg of that tour? Now, THAT's an
interesting story. But I'll have to tell it later. I will be back at my
computer in several weeks, and will look forward to corresponding with you
further then.

By the way, I am chiefly interested in photos and film from that tour that
Elkin and I were on in 1970. Other than the image of me in the Message to
Love video, we have no visual record of ourselves from that time in our
lives. Our courtship, if you will. I would love to have a photo of one or
both of us -- surely there must be one somewhere.

Warm regards,
Aileen
Donna Washburn - photo by musical photographer Linda Wolf from the early 70s: http://www.lindawolf.net/Joe/pages/Donna%20Washburn.htm (gallery titled: Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour by Joe Cocker). There's one author of the cookbooks, but she's too young to be the same woman. All Washburn's credits after mid-70s are connected to Joe Cocker's re-realeses, so it seems she quit music industry.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fzfyxqtgldhe~T4 wrote:1968 Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark Dillard & Clark Guitar, Tambourine, Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)
1969 Through the Morning, Through the Night Dillard & Clark Guitar, Tambourine, Vocals
1970 Mad Dogs & Englishmen Joe Cocker Vocals, Choir, Chorus
1971 Into the Purple Valley Ry Cooder Vocals
1973 Live Songs Leonard Cohen Vocals
1974 Cunha Songs Rick Cunha
1974 Douglas Flint Dillard Doug Dillard Vocals
1975 Gene Clark & Doug Dillard Dillard & Clark Guitar, Vocals
1977 Joe Cocker's Greatest Hits Joe Cocker Vocals
1977 Road Songs Hoyt Axton Vocals (bckgr)
1978 Last of the British Blues John Mayall Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)
1978 Shoot the Moon Carter Robertson Vocals
1979 Heaven Doug Dillard Vocals
1998 Don Everly/Sunset Towers Don Everly Vocals (bckgr)
1999 Anthology Joe Cocker Vocals (bckgr), Choir, Chorus
2000 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Joe Cocker Choir, Chorus
2000 Hard Core Package/The Last Of The British Blues John Mayall Vocals
2004 Ultimate Collection Joe Cocker Choir, Chorus
2005 Mad Dogs & Englishmen [2005 DVD] Joe Cocker Performer
2005 Mad Dogs & Englishmen [Deluxe Edition] Joe Cocker Choir, Chorus
2006 Gold Joe Cocker Choir, Chorus
2007 Less Than the Song/Life Machine Hoyt Axton Vocals (bckgr)
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Tom Sakic wrote:My brain is trying to process these infromation...

So, CD has FULL concert recording, while DVD has only part of it in DIFFERENT track order (and it's advertised as "documentary film")?
Bok, Tome!

This brings back memories of the release of "The Who at the IOW" - complete 2 hour show on cd, and awful editing on the DVD, 70 minutes long, footage out of sync mostly during "Tommy" songs segment, songs out of order. Funny though, he did a great job of "Hendrix at the Isle of Wight", where even long tunings between songs and stage banter were included, in both cd and DVD.

Anyhow - BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD IN YEARS, THAT'S RIGHT, YEARS! I remember few years ago when I was on Murray Lerner's forum "Who's still who", he was working on a Who documentary ("Amazing Journey", 2007) and we (Who geeks) were sending him a lot of rare Who vids (so we got credited at the end titles)... and I've begged him to release Lenny @ the IOW... thanks for the info, guys!

*edited to add: just remembered that even in Jimi's set on DVD there are 3 songs missing, out of 18 he performed; "Hey Joe", "Midnight Lightning" and "Hey baby (Land of the new rising sun)" were not filmed due to some technical difficulties, reloading of cameras, if I remember correctly - it's all in the DVD booklet.
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I asked Legacy about the differences in the contents. Here is the answer:
The DVD/Blu-ray is a documentary film by Murray Lerner. It is not a strict start-to-finish concert film, though there is a LOT of wonderful performance footage. Murray is an Academy Award winning filmmaker and used the footage he shot to create a piece of art in the film.

We felt it was important to release the audio on CD and LP as a way to present the complete performance in its original running order as a complement to the film.
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

"... and used the footage he shot to create a piece of art in the film."

- hey thanks for the effort Murray, but I'd rather have the complete performance only. :?
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

The best indicator of the extent of the hyperbole in the statement is probably the description of "the most incendiary performance of Jimi Hendrix’s career". OK, so I slept through it, and waited 25 years to see it on video, but even allowing for all that anticipation it was NOT "the most incendiary performance of Jimi Hendrix’s career" far from it.

I really think it best to prepare everybody for just an interesting historical piece. To expect a concert on a par with today's magical performances is to prepare for a disappointment. Having said that, to re-live Seems So Long Ago, Nancy, Tonight Will Be Fine and You Know Who I Am, will be amazing. And seeing how correct is my memory of how many matches responded in the darkness will be mind boggling. I can't wait!
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Yeah, come to think of it, it was probably the worst concert Hendrix did in 1970 (apart from horrible, aborted after only 20 minutes concerts in MSG, NY on 28 january and in Denmark on 2 september).

This is pretty funny as well:

"Bob Dylan put the festival on the map when he performed there in 1968, his first public performance since recovering from his fabled motorcycle crash of 1966."

Bob's performance was the next year, on 31 august 1969, two weeks after Woodstock; three Beatles were in the audience... and some of my friends. B&W footage exists, it's even available on Youtube.

Looks like someone didn't do their homework.

Return to “News”