Athens:exhibition on C.P.Cavafy

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Dem

Athens:exhibition on C.P.Cavafy

Post by Dem »

As you all know Leonard's song "Alexandra leaving" from the "Ten New Songs" album is written after a poem by Constantine.P.Kavafy.

Yesterday, Monday, a big exhibition on the poet C.P.Cavafy, "His world and paintings from his era" opened in the Athens Concert Hall foyer. It will last until the end of January and it is consisted of two parts:
i) A representation of Cavafy's study room with his desk, some of his books and manuscripts, his personal items and photos, as well as photos of Alexandria, Egypt.
ii) An exhibition of 91 paintings by 17 Greek painters, depicting landscapes and people of Cavafy's times,among them the poet himself.

For more information on Cavafy,see the web site of the Cavafy Museum in Alexandria http://www.greece.org/alexandria/cavafy/

or the websites of two literary archives:

the Hellenic Literary and Historical Archives (E.L.I.A.)
http://www.elia.org.gr/
and
The Center for Neo-Hellenic Studies (S.N.H.)
http://www.snhell.gr/english.html
where you can read all his poems (in Greek).

A wide selection of poems by C.P.Cavafy translated into English can be found at
http://users.hol.gr:80/~barbanis/cavafy/

Demetris
Sohbet

Post by Sohbet »

Dear Demetris, How I wish I could see this. I love Cavafy's work. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to arrange an evening of reading his work with some people here where I live. I'd never paid attention to his dates, but it's the 130th anniversary of his birth and the 70th anniversary of his death. Hard to believe. I'll enjoy the web sites. Thanks.
"I didn't go to the funeral of poetry. I stayed home and watched it on television." Karl Shapiro
Dem

Post by Dem »

Indeed, by an arrangment of fate,C.P.Cavafy was born in Alexandria, Egypt on 29 April 1863 and passed away in Alexandria on the day of his birthday,29 April 1933.

So this year is the 130th anniversary of his birth and the 70th anniversary of his death.

In Greece this is commemorated by a series of events, one of them being that exhibition.

Another is the publication of a number of books about him among them two "monumental" reference books(more than atotal of 1500pages) about his life and work by the scholar D.Daskalopoulos.

Demetris

PS)BTW, Sohbet what is your favourite poem by Cavafy?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I took it to be the exact year, but the exact day, besides, is truly amazing :shock: !
Sohbet

Post by Sohbet »

Dear Demetris, I always find it hard to do things like favorites, or lists of the ten best, things like that. My mind changes a lot and I have different favorites for different times of day, etc. I will just tell you several poems that I like a lot and why.

Of course I love Ithaka; everybody loves this one. However, even though it is a popular choice, the idea of savoring the journey rather than the destination has always been an important one to me. Priest at the Serapeion: this one speaks to me of the never-ending conflict of the generations or even of friends whose paths diverge because of beliefs. Although it is short and simple, I think this is an incredibly tender poem with great depth of feeling. It never fails to move me. Although I find the idea of hereditary aristocracies and monarchies ridiculous, I love Coloured Glass (I’m a real sucker for gallantry). Since I’m a bookish person, I’ve always liked Tomb of the Grammarian Lysias. I have this one, Longings, copied out and fastened to my refrigerator so I have it in front of me to remind myself to do anything I can to excess as often as possible. It is short so I will copy it out here.

Longings

Like the beautiful bodies of those who died before they had aged,
sadly shut away in a sumptuous mausoleum,
roses by the head, jasmine at the feet—
so appear the longings that have passed
without being satisfied, not one of them granted
a night of sensual pleasure, or one of its radiant mornings.

Of course I love all the historical ones that make events that could be just statements in history books so alive. May I ask you to share some of your favorites?
"I didn't go to the funeral of poetry. I stayed home and watched it on television." Karl Shapiro
Sohbet

Post by Sohbet »

Dear Demetris, I've been looking through my Cavafy. These are lovely ones, too: Body, Remember; For the Shop; The Afternoon Sun; Growing in Spirit. Sadly, I can only read these in translation. I have some friends who are Greek poets. Do you by any chance know of a Greek writer and actress named Lili Bita? She and her husband are my friends. I am going to ask them to help me with these. I think just hearing them in Greek, although I won't understand anything, will help me to grasp a little more of the feeling, language, words.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for sharing "Longings," Sohbet. It's beautiful truism. As soon as I click on Submit, I will click on Print. Thanks. Your descriptions of the Cavafy poems you've listed make it very clear he is a worthwhile endeavour. Thanks for highlighting both here. Not that "Alexandra Leaving isn't enough to prompt one in his direction, but sometimes it simply takes more. I'm not one for lists, either, but seeing your responses, I can understand why Demetris asked you [and glad that he did :D ].

~ Elizabeth
Last edited by lizzytysh on Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dem

Post by Dem »

Dear Shobet,

I think my all time favourite by Cavafy is "The God forsakes Anthony".
You can imagine how thrilled I was when I saw Leonard making a song out of that poem ie "Alexandra leaving".

On the Hydra Event 2002, Eve and I read that poem. I did the Greek protoype and she read the English translation.

(BTW, if you like to hear some of Cavafy's poems in Greek, there are some readings by Greek actors in one of the website links I gave:
http://www.snhell.gr/ )

Cavafy is by far the most known Greek poet in the world.
Here is a short interesting story:

A Greek journalist once went to the USA to for an Interview with the thenPresident , JFK.
He found Kennedy in his office, alone, reading a book.
When he came closer he saw that the book was Cavafy's poems!
Also "Ithaca" was Jackie O.'s favorite poem and was read by JFK, Jr. at her funeral.

Demetris
PS) I gues you are aware that except the 154 poems that he had published during his life and now form the "canon" there are also many others found in his archives (and now published) the so-called "hidden","unfinished" etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Whoops, didn't realize you had already posted, when I Edited, Demetris. Yes, JFK, Jr. was the type President to have refreshed/familiarized himself with something of value, prior to a visit. However, being as well read as both he and Jacqueline were, I can imagine he had known of Cavafy long before that particular meeting. Now, I'm interested to know the content of the poem Jackie loved. Thanks.

~ Elizabeth
Dem

Post by Dem »

Dear Elizabeth,
if you go here:

http://ithaca.rice.edu/kz/Misc/Ithaka.html

you will find a translation of the poem "Ithaca" by Edmund Keeley & Philip Sherrard who are regarded the vest translators of Cavafy's work.

Demetris
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you so much, Demetris :D . I've just gone and read that beautifully-presented page, and printed this incredible poem, as well. Ithaka not only represents death, and the way we [hopefully] live our lives; but very directly represents the way Jacqueline lived hers, with her appreciation of fine things, while never losing her focus on the soul and the things that really matter. As she had finally reached "Ithaka," I can understand her having this poem read at her funeral. It seems that Cavafy was really in touch with the essence of life and all that matters. The timing of his entryand exit was magical in itself. Thanks again, Demetris.

~ Elizabeth
Last edited by lizzytysh on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dem

Post by Dem »

You are welcome Elizabeth.

Demetris

PS) I am sure you meant Cavafi and not "Muamar Cadafi" of Libya when you wrote "It seems that Cadafy was really in touch with the essence of life and all that matters". :-)

A Freudian slip of the tongue?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Immediate change coming up :wink: .....thanks for pointing out the typo :shock: , Demetris!!! I sure won't give Freud any due on that one, if I can help it :lol: !

Return to “News”