L'Shana Tova to Leonard and All

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lightning

L'Shana Tova to Leonard and All

Post by lightning »

To all who celebrate the Jewish New Year: May fire only warm you and water only cool you and may there be no scary unknown visitors calling. May you be inscribed in the database of life for the coming year.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

All but the last sentence sounded like charming, traditional wishes for the coming year, Lightning. The last sentence sounds anachronistic with that, but what a beautiful sentiment regardless. I share in those wishes for all of you celebrating during this time.

NPR's programming this week has been thematic according to the Jewish New Year. Very interesting segments, and some very moving. The Jewish music has always grabbed and charmed me, and continues to do so. It's been a wonderful week of listening.

~ Elizabeth
lightning

Post by lightning »

I hope it was clear that I was responding to "Who by Fire" which derives from a traditional Hebrew New Year's Prayer, and updating the traditional greeting "May you be inscribed in the Book of Life," as surely they have computers up there by now. Glad you are enjoying the Jewish music. Hope it's cantorial, (especially pre-war) as much of the current non- liturgical Jewish or Israeli music is schlock. Shlomo Carlebach is an exception .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Lightning ~

I wasn't really sure, but thought it was a humourous reference, regardless. You would be better with assessing the time periods of the music than I am. In fact, they would need to spell it out for me, labeling it as one thing or another. All I know are the sounds I'm hearing that are very pleasing to me. I'm not doing a mental comparison with anything as I listen because I really don't have anything that I can bring to mind. I've also been enjoying the various stories and anecdotes. It seems such rich traditions. One whole segment was on forgiveness, a traditional focus during that week.

~ Elizabeth
elazar

Post by elazar »

leshana tova lightning!

shlomo carlebach is good stuff! theres an isreali band called ethnix that i listen to.the cantorial/folksy stuff i find nice and cozy.may the blasts of the shofar bring all good things.

salut,
elazar
breathe deep and live

Return to “News”