"Leonard Cohen Live in London" > DVD & 2CD (April 2009)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
John Etherington

Re: Leonard Cohen Live in London

Post by John Etherington »

Thanks jglBB,

Great stuff! It makes all that youtube nonsense look pathetic and unecessary (and I'm glad I've avoided most of it).

All the best, John E
commonweal

Post by commonweal »

John

Is there any truth to the rumour that for the first 100 days the DVD and CD are to be sold exclusively by Ticketmaster?

I trust you are well.

Commonweal.
Bela

Post by Bela »

John Etherington wrote:Great stuff! It makes all that youtube nonsense look pathetic and unecessary (and I'm glad I've avoided most of it).
I for one was very grateful to those people who posted 'all that youtube nonsense'. It was, in fact, very interesting to see clips of so many different concerts. And if that DVD wasn't going to be released that's all we would have to remind ourselves of the wonderful O2 concert on 17/07/08 - those of us who were fortunate enough to be there. YouTube is a wonderful resource (for instance, I found clips of my favourite 1960s French singers there that I thought I would never see or hear again); please don't knock it.
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Bela,

I sacnned a whole DVD of youtube tracks, and could only find two that were any good. I shudder to think of all the people whose concerts were ruined by those who were more concerned with getting their shaky videos with moving heads!

All good things, John E
Chema

Post by Chema »

What will be the first single of the new album? "Hallelujah"? Maybe...
Paula

Post by Paula »

I really appreciate the clips on you tube. Some of them are really good and there is one of the Dublin concert where a man proposed to his girlfriend while Leonard was singing "I'm your man" in the background that had to earn him some brownie points.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

The unofficial youtube and other 2008 *DVDs* which exist have been a wonderful boon from Glastonbury onwards. The quality of what's on the dvds [not youtube itself per se] is really surprisingly good.

At the time people filmed there were no DVD plans - and in a parallel universe this stuff wud have been all we had to remember the experience by - so the folks shud be thanked for their hard work on that account alone.

Being able to buy the summer show DVD as we all will probably do {i will be getting several as presents for friends} - thats great. But it's going to have all those LC interruptions to the music to introduce performers etc. And its not going to have all the other songs not played that night. So the Fall tour stuff I have seen is especially valuable for these reasons and more.

In the case of some performances [eg from Manchester last gig of tour] - much more :)
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

jglBB wrote:There is a preview of "Suzanne" from this DVD available from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1U80J90KLVJ63
Good stuff!
Thanks so much for posting the link, I have just watched it, it is exquisite.
I just can't wait, I just can't want, can't wait' can't wait.......... what with the 20th Feb as well.
Does Prozac dissolve in whiskey if you poke it around a bit? Maybe I need to smash it with a hammer first, yes, that sounds good
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Have been unable to track down a retailer for the CD/DVD of the O2 concert so emailed Amazon.co.uk to see if they could advise as to launch date in England. The following is part of their reply received earlier this evening. Hopefully my query was dealt with by someone in customer service who doesn't really know what is going on. If not, where do the fans in the UK buy the CD/DVD?

"At Amazon it is our goal to offer you the best selection at the best prices, regardless of where you live. However, copyright law prohibits the selling of foreign editions when a local publisher has acquired the rights to that item. This is why you may find that some titles are listed on one Amazon site at a different price than at another.

We are sorry to report that this item is currently not listed on our website and I can't guarantee when it will list on our website. "
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Davidrichards, this doesn't mean anything. Of course, UK Amazon cannot stock the US edition for copyright reasons ... by why would you want them to, since Region 1 DVDs cannot be played in Europe anyway?

The information we have is that the release date in the UK is 6 April.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

hydriot, many thanks for reply. I realise that US DVD's are useless in Europe but the point is that one would have thought that Amazon UK would know about a UK launch if this forum is already aware of an April 6th launch. If Amazon don't know anything about it can we assume we have to look elsewhere for a purchase. Their comments about copyright are irrelevant, I don't want a US version I want to know when they will start selling both the CD and Region 2 DVD. As a point of interest neither are HMV online registering a release date.
Finally there appears to be a similar problem with Webb Sisters EP - who is retailing that in the UK?
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

We can trust Jarkko. If he echoes Uncut's statement that the European DVD will be released on 6 April (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13452&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... a6#p153726 ) then we can trust that is how it will be. He will know these things well before Amazon.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
theotherside

Post by theotherside »

Anyone managed to tot up how many Best of, Must have and Live versions of are now sloshing about in the Zavvi's of this world. I hope that the big announcement is of something new. I wonder if the lack of footage from Glasto was to protect demand for this?.....just a thought!
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

[quote="paddieu"] But it's going to have all those LC interruptions to the music to introduce performers etc. And its not going to have all the other songs not played that night. [quote]

I agree with John E - I love the cover of the album/DVD. I'm also pleased it is the 17 July concert, as i was there, but I do have concerns about listening to all those introductions of the band and the 'sublime Webb sisters' several times every time I play it ...Presumably as it is recorded live, it won't be edited...

A bit sorry the album is not the wonderful Royal Albert Hall concert (where incidentally, lovely Lenny did not do so many intros of the band).

Ah well, these are not major issues and I'll be out there with the rest of you to buy it on April 6. Not sure why people are going on about being able to purchase it from Amazon. Can't we just go out to our local record store and buy it? And if were, god forbid, only available at first from Ticketmaster, I'd wait and get it later!
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Leonard Cohen Live in London on Amazon.com

Watch the video included on the page:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-London-Leona ... 321&sr=1-7
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom

Return to “News”