Leonard gives to australia relief fund

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
cohenadmirer

Leonard gives to australia relief fund

Post by cohenadmirer »

BBC news is reporting that Leonard has personaly donated a considerable sum to the fund for the relief of those communities and people devastated by the tragic wildfires over there. NO need to be explicit with praise. THE act speaks for itself,pours out love and compassion and comes as no surprise
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Leonard gives to australia relief fund

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Why does this also not surprise me - wonderful to hear! I hadn't contemplated that eventuality, though I had thought there might be some gesture of support from the concert stage tomorrow night in Melbourne! 8)

Cheers
Andrew :)

P.S. Here's some local confirmation I've just come across, indicating that Leonard & Paul Kelly & promoters are donating $200,000: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/748 ... -2-million
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
dharma

Post by dharma »

LC had just £85,000 in March 2006 after being fleeced for £5.4m by his manager, and now he's able to donate $200,000 (£90,000) to the bushfire victims.

How appropriate he should donate money to folks who have lost everything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4770120.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7881522.stm
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
NickShears

Post by NickShears »

Quote from NME in the UK (http://www.nme.com/news/leonard-cohen/42670):
Leonard Cohen denotes cash to Australian bushfire victims

Star is currently on tour with Paul Kelly down under

Leonard Cohen, current support act Paul Kelly, promoters AEGLive UK and the Frontier Touring Company are donating $200,000 (£90,000) to help victims of the bushfires that have swept across Victoria in Australia.

Cohen is currently on tour on the continent, and is set to play the final leg of his jaunt in Melbourne tonight (February 10).

In a statement Michael Gudinski, managing director of the Frontier Touring Company, said, "Leonard has loved his time in Australia on this tour and is shocked and deeply saddened by the news of the fires.

"Leonard, Paul, their touring parties and everyone at AEGLive UK and the Frontier Touring Company wish to extend their heartfelt sympathies to those that have suffered the loss of loved ones or their homes through this terrible tragedy."
Nick,
London 1979, London 1983, London 1988, Brisbane 2009
ania

Post by ania »

a beautiful person. this doesnt surprise me at all...
"It's strange. You never start out life with the intention of
becoming a bankrupt or an alcoholic or a cheat and a thief.
Or a liar." -- Raymond Carver
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

dharma wrote:...
Yeah but where do you start? There are a million and one worthy causes in this world you can donate your money to.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

osmachar wrote: Yeah but where do you start? There are a million and one worthy causes in this world you can donate your money to.
So true, but if every person simply selected one or two that they believed in, then people, animals and causes could truly be helped. I know that may sound pollyannish but that's just me.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for showing up and commenting, Ania. I'm glad to know you're okay.

When it comes to generousity, Leonard doesn't know the meaning of giving lip service. He comes straight from the heart. Such a fine example for us all.

I love the connections you made regarding Leonard's amazing gift, Dharma.
LC had just £85,000 in March 2006 after being fleeced for £5.4m by his manager, and now he's able to donate $200,000 (£90,000) to the bushfire victims.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I feel it's true what LadyDi has said, Osmachar... there are so many types of people in this world, whose hearts tug one way or another for other living things. We can't all donate to everything; but that doesn't diminish the significance of donating to something. If everyone would simply choose one thing and give, we'd see remarkable progress with the needs of our world.

Blessed be Leonard and Kelly, AEG, and Frontier for choosing the tragedy in Australia for putting their money toward help.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Scary Mary

Post by Scary Mary »

Hi, first time poster, long time fan! What a corny way to open, but do forgive, I couldn't think up anything better after thinking up passwords and usernames.

I saw Leonard for the first time this month in Australia. Still thinking about it days later, that's why I found this site.

What that man gives on stage left me in no doubt that he is a super generous and special human being. I knew he would have headed to Victoria and possibly flown over an entire state on fire. Our states here are bigger than most countries. It would have been a very beautiful tragedy to witness. I knew it would touch his heart.

He is so in tune with the awesome forces of nature and our relative insignificance, I was not surprised he was moved to such generosity.

While the fools in the parliament and press here bicker over who's to blame, and forget that we live in such an ancient and powerful land of extremes, the Cohen's of the world get in and "do their bit".

So thankyou Mr.Cohen for staying true to yourself. And for giving a toss about a country at the ar$e end of the world (as one of our own Prime Ministers so eloquently put it!) You truly understand the meaning of reciprocity, and we will always love you for it!

Return to “News”