CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
k-e-t

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Postby k-e-t » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm slightly puzzled by this outrage. His performances in Fredericton, Moncton, St. John's, Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, Dublin, Manchester and others have not been broadcast for those unable to attend in person; if you missed the show, you missed the show. That is typically how live performances work. Glastonbury obviously has set a different precedent, so I suppose I can understand a bit of disappointment, but it's completely unreasonable, in my opinion, to throw a tantrum or start berating the artist because in this particular case the live performance functioned as most every other live performance on the tour.
honeyrose

Postby honeyrose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:05 pm

Well I am not planning on dumping my collection but still, anyone who signs with LiveNation has to give up some of their artistic integrity. While I sympathise with Leonard's financial position greatly, it does seem a shame that to get him back into a comfortable retirement, fans who have always supported him have to be exploited. I don't buy this idea that we should put up and shut up over Glastonbury, as the live shows must have been too expensive for many people. Nor do I think that he is some sort of holy innocent who ignores the business side of things. In the case over his ex manager he made it clear that even in the monastery he read all the emails sent to him and watched over his business affairs. My view of him as a genial man has certainly take a hit at present.

After all if the BBC can film Jay-Z and Neil Diamond at Glastonbury why not Leonard? The whole point is to increase the artist's profile and expose them to a wider audience. Jay-Z and Neil Diamond clearly understand this. And the idea that preventing the BBC from filming him will promote sales of a DVD is just plain daft. The quality of the BBC Glastonbury broadcasts is not outstanding and I very much doubt if they would have shown more than extracts from Leonard's show. Fans will buy the DVD regardless of the BBCs coverage. If Leonard's management think this is not true, then they have lost the plot. Meanwhile fans who could not make or afford the live shows have been deprived a chance of seeing him perform which they might rightly have expected to be available to them as licence payers to the BBC.

(Incidentally I saw Chris Isaak at the Hammersmith Apollo last year, on a tour promoted by Live Nation, and there were no restrictions on taking photos or recording songs on your digital cameras, while he was performing, unlike at the Manchester Opera House where everyone who tried to even take a photo was stopped. )
Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:36 pm

I was very disappointed last night, too, but Mark Radcliffe said Leonard had said the cameras would be off-putting. Maybe he genuinely was nervous about having his performance potentially beamed out live to millions (and from the first venue at which he has played to a general music audience rather than dedicated fans). We already know he has been very nervous about going onstage on past tours. But whatever the facts of it, Leonard is a gentle man, and a gentleman, and I don't believe for a second that there is some 'dodgy' reason, directly involving him, that we didn't see him on the telly yesterday. I am happy that Glastonbury seems to have gone so well for him. Those who couldn't get to any of the concerts can still buy the dvd.
Jojio

Postby Jojio » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Everybody here had the choice of buying a ticket for Glastonbury - it wasn't limited to the 2000 seats per night at Manchester and tickets were still available on the day. (I had even heard reports of tickets selling for about £25 on e-bay.) The fact that their little worlds have crumbled because they didn't get to see "their" man on television is laughable, contemptable even. OK, your expectations had been raised. You're now disappointed. So what?

Think of it like this. Leonard Cohen played a triumphant set at Glastonbury after 14 years in the wilderness and during a sell-out world tour. Why not be appreciative of that?
seanmiller

Postby seanmiller » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm

I was well impressed... thought it was a stormer of a set, very well produced and put together... put The Verve to shame (!)

I remember when Bob Dylan played the Festival in the 90s he actually asked not only for the gig not to be broadcast but for the stageside screens to be switched off too which made it very hard to see what was going on - at least Leonard Cohen allowed the thing to be filmed for the folks at the event who weren't right up front.

He genuinely seemed to be enjoying it too... anyway, beginning of August he's back at a UK Festival again, this time the "Big Chill" - the Festival website doesn't say which day he's playing, but the LC website says Sunday which means, presumably, one can see him with a £65 Sunday Ticket which seems pretty good value to me,

Sean
osmachar

Postby osmachar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Jojio wrote:Everybody here had the choice of buying a ticket for Glastonbury......The fact that their little worlds have crumbled because they didn't get to see "their" man on television is laughable, contemptable even. OK, your expectations had been raised. You're now disappointed. So what?....
Not so easy for everyone to actually get to Glastonbury though.

I think people are really disappointed, because it seems all other acts were shown on TV.

I must say I actually took it for granted that everyone will be shown - never even considered an opt-out. Maybe foolish to make assumptions, but I think this is the main reason for people's disappointment.
seanmiller

Postby seanmiller » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Jojio wrote:Everybody here had the choice of buying a ticket for Glastonbury - it wasn't limited to the 2000 seats per night at Manchester and tickets were still available on the day.
They weren't practically - unless you wanted to pay £164 for a weekend ticket which for one day was rather steep, and I'm not convinced even those were available by Sunday.

As I live only about 3 miles from the Festival site I just went for Sunday (day tickets were £50 for locals or (indeed) to anybody else if they went to the gate on Thursday) - quite exhausted now, though... must be getting old... used to be able to do Thursday-Monday and still end up buzzing and full of life :-)

Sean
brokenhill

Postby brokenhill » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Tower of song and the "mud" quip!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EPPuuXlKXxM
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
captrenault

Postby captrenault » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:44 pm

No disrepect to those who were disappointed, but from my perspective, I keep coming back to two things:

First, the man has a right to control his image. Given recent events, I don't find it at all strange that those controls have been tightened.

Second, I'm inclined to trust his judgement on this one. Maybe there's a reason why he didn't want his performance broadcast, perhaps the same reason why he didn't perform at the induction ceremonies to the various Halls of Fame or other tv or web broadcasts. Once this stuff is out there on the internets, who knows how it'll be used? Perhaps it comes down to the niceties of copyright law as it applies to the world wide web, and who can do what with the songs or images once they're in the public sphere.

He's in his rights to negotiate the terms and conditions of his appearances, and he did so, for whatever reason he saw fit. Should we not just trust the man in this, particularly when he's given us so much already?

Perhaps I'm missing something. But perhaps it also remains true that there is no free lunch.
Toronto, June 17/93; Toronto, May 13/06; Toronto, June 1/07; Hamilton, June 3/08; Montreal June 23/08; Montreal June 24/08; Hamilton, May 19/09, London, Dec. 11/12, Hamilton, Apr. 9/13; Irving Layton's 85th birthday party.
seanmiller

Postby seanmiller » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Not all bands at Glastonbury Festival are shown on the BBC anyway... I'm sure the Waterboys, who played all 3 days last year, would have been delighted to be broadcast but none of their three sets were... Amy had both her sets broadcast last year and this year too. So plenty of people miss out on seeing their favourites if they don't attend... and many sets are broadcast only partially.

Perhaps one of the reasons LC didn't want the BBC to broadcast was for this reason, that they'd intersperse his show with other things around the site, thus ruining the continuity of it. I get the feeling the setlist etc. was intricately thought out... showing his songs in all the wrong order and/or only snippets might be something that he'd feel would give a false impression of his gig... maybe the BBC refused to guarantee to show the entire set, hence the negotiations broke down.

It should be remembered that LC's set last night was around 100 minutes... Amy Winehouse's the previous night (in the same slot) was more like 55 minutes.

Sean
brokenhill

Postby brokenhill » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:31 pm

The clips available so far are now linked in the right order on the video clips thread

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11163&p=127083#p127083
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
phillip

Postby phillip » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:38 pm

sure was dissapointed he was not on TV last night, but hey saw him at Manchester and can watch him at Glastonbury on You Tube! don't worry Leonard I am still a die hard fan, and no way on this earth would I get rif od my Cohen collection if you paid me...if you want to see Leonard at Glastonbury go to You tube!
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Gregor

Postby Gregor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 pm

** Leonard Cohen has chosen not to be recorded for TV or radio on his UK tour **

This year, while inducted into the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame, Leonard Cohen was described as being amongst the "highest and most influential echelon of songwriters". After a 15 year touring break, the artist returns to perform on Glastonbury's Pyramid stage. Expect songs from recent albums Ten New Songs (2001) and Dear Heather (2004) as well the pick of his hugely influential back catalogue which includes classics such as Hallelujah, Suzanne, Bird On A Wire and Famous Blue Raincoat.
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
abeggarleaning

Postby abeggarleaning » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 pm

Returning from Glastonbury in the early hours, I too was desolate when I ran the video tape back and heard Mark announce that Leonard would be put off by the cameras. On a moment's reflection, this seems a perfectly reasonable explanation. For those who weren't privileged to be there, or haven't experienced a festival, this is not like Manchester, where I was among women, men and children who would have for forgiven Leonard for the hugest of mishap. Confident in his audience in Manchester we witnessed the most sublime evening imaginable.

I was near the front at Glastonbury with a couple of drunks with their back to the stage talking loudly throughout next to me and a woman on her phone in front. As we reached one of the many pauses for dramatic effect that are sprinkled throughout his repertoire someone let off an air horn, much to the amusement of the band members. During the first part of the set while still daylight, looking to the right of the stage and all the way to the horizon, Leonard would have seen an army of mud soaked tent laden early leavers on the march home off the site. This was his first reduced Festival Set List. He was receiving updates on the running order between songs.

He hasn't performed for over a decade and didn't need the potential pressure of at best ambivalents and at worst drunk disruptives heckling him live on national TV, so as we were told, I reckon Leonard calculated that he might be put off. As it happens, apart from taking two attempts to get us to kisses deep and warm, it was as smooth and professional a set as you could wish for and a huge honour for those of us lucky enough to be there.
seanmiller

Postby seanmiller » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Review on the Glastonbury Festival site...
Welcome to Glastonbury, Leonard Cohen; welcome to this gloriously gaudy feast of holy fools and neon-clad fakirs, of prophets and loss, of ecstasy and revelation. Welcome to a tower of song erected in a farm, where closing time is Monday and the world, for the most part, is a little bit more real, purely because of its unreality. Welcome to a world where flame haired girls shiver out tears from their lovers’ shoulders, a saline cascade of joy that chimes as it falls, to the tune of ‘Bird on a Wire’.

“It’s a great honour to play for these angels born of the mud,” says Cohen, his sonorous growl encompassing a lop-sided smile as he surveys the oasis of bliss rising from the heads and hearts of the crowd. He has moved them to stillness with ‘Dance Me to the End of Love’, which stalks up the spine like a lover’s finger, chilled them with his vision of ‘The Future’, and he is about to launch into ‘Tower of Song’.

I had forgotten this song until now, forgotten the line “I was born like this, I had no choice / I was born with the gift of a golden voice.” The crowd laughed appreciatively at the perceived irony, but it occurs to me that golden is exactly what Cohen’s voice is. It is heavy and coruscating, and, through the cracks, it shines down on the transfixed crowd, who worship it and join in with it in impassioned choruses, first with ‘So Long Marianne’ and then more and more throughout his set.

Cohen’s is a voice that Moses could have carved the Ten Commandments on with his fingernails; heavy yet tender, soft almost, mordant, but laced with a lyrical, playful wit and wisdom that beggars most of his contemporaries’; it is a savage and glorious tool that serves the words, which anatomise the vagaries of love and politics, lust and despair. He is “leaning out for love” and “will lean that way forever”.

‘Suzanne’ melts over the crowd like dew; ‘Hallelujah’ erupts like a volcano in thousands of lungs; the sensual, subtle bravado of ‘I’m Your Man’ sings like a pheromone in the encroaching dusk. Cohen, all the while, is simply smiling like Gabriel, occasionally doffing his trilby to bursts of applause. He is the epitome of refined cool, a dapper, studied man who carries peace in his wake and parts the sea of gaudy thrills that is Glastonbury to open ways to a myriad of promised lands.

Adam Horovitz
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/i ... px?id=3337

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”