CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Caillte

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Postby Caillte » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:04 am

A lot of heated words here. Leonard hasn't changed. He is still the most humble genius. However, if by chance you are viewing this, Leonard, maybe a compromise solution could be to do a live webcast of one of your up coming shows. Edinburgh sounds like a nice setting!
Caillte

Postby Caillte » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:10 am

BTW, I'll still buy your DVD whenever it comes out, because it was the greatest concert I have ever seen and I want to relive it over and over and over again. Just include Dublin Saturday Night.
damian

Postby damian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:13 am

Bob Dylan played ther same slot in 1998.

He made the same mistake. The only precedent I recall.

His career doesn't seem to have suffered though...
secretchord

Postby secretchord » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:20 am

just watched the neil diamond footage online, absolutely inspirational (and I'm not particularly a fan)

many have praised Leonard's band here (and I'm not criticising them) but wow, neil diamond's band are awesome and the connection he made with the crowd also, if only we could have seen Leonard doing the same thing
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
sirius

Postby sirius » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:35 am

Glastonbury 2008 review: Leonard Cohen

A crowd-wooing selection of favourites from the master. He's your man

Laura Barton
Monday June 30, 2008

http://music.guardian.co.uk/glastonbury ... 52,00.html

guardian.co.uk

Where and when: The Pyramid stage, Sunday, 8.10pm

Dress code: The whole band, including the backing singers, are slickly besuited. Meanwhile, Cohen's look, all baggy grey pinstripe and trilby, is poised somewhere between Humphrey Bogart and a Galapagos turtle.

Who's watching: Everyone from tired and emotional fiftysomething women (to my left) to exuberant teenagers in hotpants (to my right). And all of them know the words.

In a nutshell: For many, Cohen was set to be the absolute guaranteed highlight of Glastonbury 2008, the major reason to brave the muck and the drizzle. Marvellously, he does not disappoint, delivering a crowd-wooing selection of favourites, including Dance Me to the End of Love, Bird on a Wire, Suzanne and Tower of Song, all performed with a charming hat-tipping humility, and an enigmatic half-smile.

High point: Hallelujah - a real crowd-swelling, arm-waving moment of perfection. As Cohen staggers into the line "love is not a victory march - it's a lonely and a broken hallelujah," half the people in the vicinity start crying. Myself included.

Low point: Following the statuesque I'm Your Man with the blousy Closing Time led to a bit of a dip, and the distinct absence of Chelsea Hotel.

Mark out of 10: 9.99 (as Cohen himself would put it "Forget your perfect offering/ There is a crack, a crack in everything/That's how the light gets in")

What does it all mean, maan?: Leonard Cohen. He's your maan.
Attachments
Leonard Cohen1234.jpg
Leonard Cohen1234.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
jglBB

Postby jglBB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 am

Gosh! This Laura something knows how to write an article.
confetti

Postby confetti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:40 am

I found it odd, that on the BBC Glastonbury site there was no photo of Leonard scrolling across the top with the other artists and the lack of mentions on the radio and tv leading up to the day, made me wonder was he going to be on. I am annoyed that the BBC didn't say earlier that there would be no broadcast.

I also find it odd that it has been said that Leonard declined to be filmed, because unless there were no big screens for his performance then he was filmed just the same as everyone else. The BBC would presumably own the rights to broadcast what they want, it all sounds a little odd to me.

I am not going to let this spoil my memory of the best concert I have ever been at in my life though.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
honeyrose

Postby honeyrose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:48 am

Well it does rather sound as though there was a row over broadcasting rights - which if true puts a bit of a dent in Leonard's image as a genial old geezer. As the man himself said, "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

This is a quote from Michael Eavis about Glastonbury in general:

"[He] admitted that Glastonbury was in fierce competition with other festival who could afford to pay their headliners much more than he could.

“We can’t pay them millions, the big commerical festivals pay headliners three or four million, we can only pay them £200,000 so why should they do it?” he explained. “The reason is that it’s good for them, their record sales, their image and it’s good for us and the charities we support. It’s a delicate balance between commercial pressures of headliner acts. It’s a very difficult position, but we’re doing well with what we had.”

Presumably therefore promoting his record sales and his image via the televised concert was not of any importance to Leonard. Incidentally does anyone know who is managing him now?

Honeyrose
Marek

Postby Marek » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 am

I really don't think the lack of Glastonbury live footage is a great loss.

Watching just about anything broadcast from it by the BBC I have been struck by the consistently poor live broadcast sound mix that all acts have received.

Having had the pleasure of attending one of the superb Manchester evenings I'm not even sure I would have wanted to be at Glastonbury and know for sure that I would probably have felt shortchanged by the broadcast.

If it was on the big screens at the festival it would have been recorded, but not not necessarily broadcast, likewise Dublin, probably likewise O2 or any bigg arena.

And these tapes always seem to get out sooner or later one way or the other...

If you want a real experience, buy a ticket.
gric

Postby gric » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am

I can not find the words to describe my disappointment that Leonard Cohen chose not to allow his performance not to broadcast by the BBC. I can only assume that a DVD of a future/past concert will be on sale shortly. This really was a big mistake
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:23 am

This is a great loss. When an older legend tops the bill Glastonbury, it's a big event (as when Johnny Cash and Tony Bennett did so). It's something people like to tune into collectively, so that they experience the moment. The film that was made of Arthur Lee with Love's performance at Glastobury was excellent. In fact, it was far better than the official DVD of their Royal Festival Hall show. Perhaps Leonard's management can come to some arrangement with the BBC where they have a special Leonard Cohen night on BBC2.

All good things, John E
jondi

Postby jondi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:29 am

Can't say that I'm not disappointed but looking at the setlist any of the four nights at Manchester knocked it into a cocked hat. I hope that The Big Chill has more of The Man
Casey Butler

Postby Casey Butler » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:30 am

The setlist for Glastonbury appears abbreviated and more "greatist hits" than anything else, probably because of time constraints imposed by the venue. Perhaps that's why no filming. The setlists from other venues are very meaningful, I believe, in case others have noticed as well.

Everybody hears Leonard Cohen, but it seems not many hear him yet. When they do I guess he's got a say in what they hear, in what order they hear it, and where it comes from.

I do know it has nothing to do with the money part or the legal part - assuming he himself made the request not to film.

This Robin Hood of yours has riches beyond measure already! :-)

Casey
KieranFunzig

Postby KieranFunzig » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I am disappointed, the birth of our first child has meant that we were unable to see any of the tour despite waiting 15 years, so we were looking forward to Glastonbury on the TV.

Other acts (Bowie, Peter Gabriel) have declined or limited filming at Glastonbury in the past. Worry about quality control (performance and A/V) seem to be the theme. If Leonards management have declined for comercial reasons then he needs to sack them a get in someone who understands the current state of the entertainment business (it wouldn't stop people buying the DVD it would get people to buy the CD's).

As far as the reason given on the BBC broadcast, I find it hard to see that he would be put off by cameras with all that Zen training!

How many artists of that age can come out of retirement from live performances and sound so good (I heard the boots)? It is a shame that, for whatever reason, that can't be celebrated on the UK TV's best music weekend.
confetti

Postby confetti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 pm

I think we should all wait and see what the Cohen camp say. The beeb will obviously play down any part they had in it all, and there are at least 2 sides to every story.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”