CONCERT REPORTS: Halifax, NS (May 12, 13, 15, 16, and 17)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
richardrj

Re: Five Concerts in Halifax (May 12 to 17)

Postby richardrj » Wed May 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Tom Sakic wrote:I do hope that the Webb Sisters will change their outfit 8)
Yes, something shorter would be nice.
kaczor47

Re: live recording

Postby kaczor47 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Tom, I have been wondering if there would be anybody who recorded it. In fact I considered doing it myself, but opted not to - it distracts from the experience if you worry too much about recording levels etc. I am a bit worried that there will be no good audience recording, only cell phone clips. But we will have to wait and see.

However I did speak to one gentleman at the soundboard (don't know his name) and he said that they were recording it and that plans are for a release of a live album. (This was during the first Halifax show). Now, I don't know if this is true or not, I suppose I have no reason to doubt it... But don't shoot the messenger!
Tom Sakic wrote: Any mp3s soon? :D

Tom
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Kaczor47 :) - we *know* for sure that LC's team is recording all shows! The sound technicians in the venues are not local people from the venue, but his team. Of course, that means that the access of local people (who maybe know somebody working in the hall... that's how it usually goes) is limited. I don't know whether there will be radio broadcasts and stuff (most 1988 and 1993 bootlegs were made by recorded FM broadcasts). Guess not before June 3rd, before the big venues and cities. The audience recording is our only hope, so far. It's funny that in this time of internet and iPods we have less covered tour (in the means of recordings) than was the 1993 tour.
Tri-me2

Postby Tri-me2 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:18 pm

I did see a camera for photos but not a film camera. I was suprised that the historic tour is not being filmed. Do you know if there are plans to film at any time?

I was told when I bought my tickets that the first three rows were reserved. I did not say anything in the forum because it did not make sense to say anything. I spotted a friend of mine in the second row so I asked her how she got her seats. She told me she waited in line. Nice, I was so happy to hear that the rows were reserved for the people who did not get front of line priveledges. The people who lined up had crappy weather to deal with.

People are ssaying that there were people from Europe in the audience, it would be nice to hear from them in this thread to see where you all came from
"Door hinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
lightning

Postby lightning » Wed May 14, 2008 5:23 pm

I heard that recording is prohibited by the ushers who threaten to throw the audience member out of the concert. The YouTube recordings were made in spite of this, but stopped because of ushers threats. At a non LC concert in NYC, an usher asked me for $250 to record! I was able to tape Cohen at the Paramount in 1993 from the audience with no problem.
richardrj

Postby richardrj » Wed May 14, 2008 5:48 pm

The best and most reliable source for live recordings these days is Dimeadozen. There's nothing up there yet, but I'll keep an eye on it and post a message as soon as something appears.
William

Postby William » Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 pm

You do realise ladies & gentlemen that what you are promoting here is illegal, in total breach of copyright and robbing our hero of potential income.

God bless,
William
richardrj

Postby richardrj » Wed May 14, 2008 6:01 pm

William wrote:You do realise ladies & gentlemen that what you are promoting here is illegal, in total breach of copyright and robbing our hero of potential income.
I don't know about other download sites but this is certainly not true for Dimeadozen, which makes great efforts to stay on the right side of copyright. They don't allow anything on the site that has been commercially released, and if - say - a live album is ever released of this tour, any tracks from that album would be immediately taken down.

Besides, as they say on the site, audience recordings inevitably exist and can't be made to vanish. So, it is better to let fans get them for free from one another instead of having to purchase them from commercial bootleggers.
kaczor47

Postby kaczor47 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Yes, I too will watch out for anything on dimeadozen. However I fear that with such small venues on the pretour the chances of any recording being made are slim. Now I wish I brought my gear :cry:

As for the photos, yes, the ushers were reminding people not to take photographs, however I did not see anybody being asked to leave. Flashes were going off much more frequently towards the end! Incidentally, this is where I draw the line - it must be distracting to the band. (Not that a flash will make any difference from that distance).

As for copyright etc, I will not enter that debate. It has been discussed ad nauseam by the collectors and traders of live recordings. Let us discuss this once (if) an official live (raw, not edited from multiple venues) recording from the tour is released - then we can talk about lost income.
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
lightning

Postby lightning » Wed May 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Exactly.
I heard that someone was given a hard time for trying to photograph the stage 10 minutes before the concert began.
Most ungracious.
Will Lenny lose a penny if a fan takes a picture? I doubt it.
krewechief

Postby krewechief » Wed May 14, 2008 11:30 pm

in fairness to the tapers...it really hasn't been that long a wait. anyone at the Fredricton show, that was taping, may have gone to Halifax...or had to go to work and hasn't yet converted, edited and cut up their capture.
a live album/dvd of this tour would only be fitting. perhaps they are waiting for larger venues to film...much less intrusive for the audience if it's in an arena as opposed to these lovely small venues.
William

Postby William » Thu May 15, 2008 12:07 am

Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, so much for your passion for the artist and his work.
The attitude here is, as the Americans say, "Screw him."
So do you buy illegally made DVDs?
Do you believe Leonard and others are not entitled to their royalties?
Do you think the copyright of an artist's material is worthless?
That's what you're saying here.
Fans! Go rotate on a ceiling somewhere.

God bless,
William
krewechief

Postby krewechief » Thu May 15, 2008 12:25 am

"ain't no man righteous, no not one" ... so don't expect me to be the first.

i've bought all Leonards official stuff.
i'll see three shows, maybe more if he makes it to America in the fall
i'll probably drop a couple hundred on merchandise.
i don't 'buy' bootlegs, so much as share freely with other like-minded people.

however, in the interest of keeping the peace, let me know where I can send Leonard a cheque and I'll happily provide him whatever the record company does for each bootleg i own.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Thu May 15, 2008 12:37 am

It seems that the venues and soundboard recording process is indeed heavily controlled by Leonard's team. I giess that means that we will have very little private stuff from this tour. I myself will not put myself in danger of being not permitted into the show so I will left my camera at home.
lightning

Postby lightning » Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 am

Please understand that the attitude of the captialist record companies towards the hapless consumer has always been, "Screw them" ( e.g charge $25 for something it costs 75 cents to manufacture) and all this taping ,sharing and downloading is just fighting back.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”