CONCERT REPORT: Fredericton, NB (May 11)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Chema

Re: Fredericton Set List

Post by Chema »

Thanks for the review. Great show, but I'm some disappointing for the setlist. I hope that the setlist will change with more new songs.

CHEMA
Diane

Re: Opening Night - Fredericton

Post by Diane »

Wonderful. Thanks everyone!
swisschris

Post by swisschris »

Thanks so much to Steve for the wonderful review and to "rabbit" for putting the link!!!!!!!!!!!
I honestly didn't imagine Leonard to play for two and a half hours. Now I'm even more excited and can't wait for the concerts in Lyon and Lörrach.

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

This video and PHOTOS are on "Leonard Cohen" fan pages at FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leonard-Cohen-/8639229388

(Photos were added by Charles Saindon)

drsing

Post by drsing »

Mikeaus wrote:Thank you Steve for the great review. We in Australia can only look on with sheer envy.
:lol: :lol: And many thanks from Europe, we'll wait a few more weeks till he arrives overhere :!:
Peter (Netherlands)
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

This has whetted my appetite for Manchester, England. Having not seen Leonard for 15 years I really didn't care what he played. We all have favourites, but with such a repertoire spanning over 40 years, how does one choose? I guess that asthe tour progresses some songs will fall away and others will be added. Just a note on the thumbs down for new arrangements of Bird On A Wire and Marianne: I remember hearing Dylans first jazz tinged re-arrangement of Trying To Get To Heaven and thinking it mis-judged and completetely off the wall.... howvever, by the fourth or fifth time of listening (Dylan tours too much!) I completely "got it"... indeed, that's how I sing it in my imagination now! England loves you Mr. Cohen.... I'll be singing to you sweetly from a balcony at Manchester Opera House. :D
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

The reason "So Long Marianne" has been singled out from the pack is that they completely changed the rhytmic feel of the song. The song is built around the guitar strumming a 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 'tri-ple-et' pattern. They removed this and played it in straight 4/4 time with a calypso-like beat. Honestly I found it confusing and frankly I found it difficult to sing along. It will interesting to see if they change it back during the tour. Changing the rhythm also means changing the vocal phrasing - but hey, they tried something new.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

How marvellous... they subverted the singalong! I guess it's horses for courses, but I would love that! :lol:
Alessandro Vanzaghi

Post by Alessandro Vanzaghi »

In my opinion it's a great setlist, but I hope that in Italy I will heard these songs too:

1) That's No Way to Say Goodbye
2)Memories
3)I Can't Forget
4)Be for real
5)That Don't Make It Junk
6) Go No More A-Roving

I'ill wait fore the concert in Lucca!

Alessandro
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

thanks for the wonderful reports. I guess he could play for another 2.5 hours and not please everyone .. but it sounds wonderful and, all in all, HIS favorite songs turn out to be OUR favourite songs too!!! Can't wait now!!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Ken

Post by Ken »

Rabbit wrote:For everybody who couldn't be there, here's your first taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSM5rv50XY
Holy crap, it's true, his voice is really very strong! It sounds just like in the late 80s/90s!!!
Giving up smoking clearly has paid off.
Last edited by Ken on Mon May 12, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loulou

Post by loulou »

thanks ever so much for the reporting........
desire the horse
depression the cart
patsned

Post by patsned »

This is all really amazing. Can't wait till he reaches Dublin. This is a girly thing but please tell me what was the merchandise like, what was available etc. :oops:
jondi

Post by jondi »

Roll on 17th June in Manchester, thanks Steve for making my excitement even less bearable, 3 year olds anticipating Christmas are show more sang froid!
jondi

Post by jondi »

Interesting to see if the list changes show on show

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”