Advance ticket booking for Files/Forum members

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
malcolmt

Re: Advance ticket booking for Files/Forum members

Post by malcolmt »

Thanks very much. I am hoping to take my wife and 2 children to see Leonard somewhere. They are all massive fans and have never seen him perform live; this will hopefully help in my quest. I was lucky enough to see the great man in Leicester in the seventies: a truly fantastic concert.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Rather than posts - the date of registration should give an idea as to who has been here since when and forgive my cynicism :razz: but the influx of new posters is.......wonderfully coincidental :!:
Dany Hilven

Post by Dany Hilven »

This guy'll be on his post...
Say a prayer for the cowboy
b55

Post by b55 »

Red Poppy wrote:Rather than posts - the date of registration should give an idea as to who has been here since when and forgive my cynicism :razz: but the influx of new posters is.......wonderfully coincidental :!:
lots of people have been here a long time without a reason to register
so the quick new members incl yours truly are but faithful lurkers with a newfound reason to register
:shock:
i think everyone should scan and post the receipt from when they purchased their first Cohen album
que sais-je?
Chema

Post by Chema »

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Great news indeed!!!
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
dharma

Post by dharma »

Red Poppy wrote:Rather than posts - the date of registration should give an idea as to who has been here since when and forgive my cynicism :razz: but the influx of new posters is.......wonderfully coincidental :!:
I'm not so cynical. ;-)

I think the influx of new posters merely reflects everyone's excitement about Lenny touring again. Anyway, it's what plucked me from the shadows and my normal lurking mode. I rarely post, but I've been a member of this forum under various usernames since the beginning, and used to write on the alt.music.leonard-cohen newsgroup, the precursor to this forum, back in the 1990s.

Incidentally, folks from the old newsgroup days may be surprised to discover that the archives are available at:

http://lcngarc.twoshakesofalambstail.com :shock:
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
captrenault

Post by captrenault »

Yes, there are a new influx of members, and no doubt some of those new members have joined for the advance booking rights.

I have been aware of this site for a long time, but haven't felt the need to participate. There is one simple reason for that -- my love for Leonard is an intensely private and personal matter, and I haven't felt the slightest inclination to discuss his work and my affection for them with anyone else, much less get into contests of Quien Es Mas Macho in terms of fan cred.

Some of us prefer to worship in private, and so, have not felt the urge to join this site. That others have -- hey, if that's your thing, go right ahead.

I would say this, though: I don't understand why a bump in membership, upon the announcement that membership has its privileges, is at all a surprise. There are many fans (oh, how I hate that inadequate word) like me who will stop at nothing to get to see the man.

And in that, I suspect that old members and new members are exactly alike, new members seeking a spot in line, and old members looking to exclude them for their own benefit.

This is fine by me. You want tickets, I want tickets, these are the rules, and let the best man win. Just let's please be honest about it, and leave the belittling out of it. No doubt, many of us are a little antsy, and will continue to be until we get our tickets in our grubbly little hands, but we shouldn't let our passion lead to the denigration of others for having expressed their commitment in other ways, or for the fact that other people want those same precious objects just as desperately as ourselves.

Leonard, Jarkko, thank you for this opportunity. Anything to beat the scalpers.
Toronto, June 17/93; Toronto, May 13/06; Toronto, June 1/07; Hamilton, June 3/08; Montreal June 23/08; Montreal June 24/08; Hamilton, May 19/09, London, Dec. 11/12, Hamilton, Apr. 9/13; Irving Layton's 85th birthday party.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

i think everyone should scan and post the receipt from when they purchased their first Cohen album
Do you ever live an organized life, B55 :shock: :lol: .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
holeyjoel

Post by holeyjoel »

Well said captrenault. Well Said!!!
medicinejar

Post by medicinejar »

Excellent idea and shows such thoughtfulness for all the fans who come here. While I don't post alot, I come here to read very regularly. I also just wanted to say thanks to Jarkko for all the work he does.

Cheers!
damellon

Post by damellon »

Captrenault - Welcome to the Forum. You say some of us prefer to worship in private, and so, have not felt the urge to join this site. So why have you, at this particular time?
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
holeyjoel

Post by holeyjoel »

Demellon - I think you'll find you already know the answer to your question. So why ask????? I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I've only joined for the possiblity of getting tickets to see Leonard. That in no way means I respect Leonards' work any less than you. I may be younger, I may have been listening to Leonard for less years... Non of these things matter now. If I miss out on tickets here, I'll do whatever it takes to try and secure them elsewhere. I live in London, but will travel anywhere. PLease cut out all the crap about who is the biggest 'fan' and wait to see what happens.

Once again thank-you Leonard and Jarkko just for the chance. If all fails, life will continue. Maybe not as well as we would like, but it will.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

GOSH, so far I have 32 new friends on this forum. Actually, only this thread, without counting all the other incomers. All in the space of a couple of days.
Call me old fashioned. Call me cynical. Call me suspicious. But the words....

TICKET TOUTS BONANZA APPLICATIONS

come to mind.

I am NOT advocating that only 'long serving forum members' be considered for ticket allocation.

What I must say is this; we have to be prepared and patient, as we encounter a deluge of the ticket applications that are in comparison with begging letters to lottery winners.

If we're not careful, this thread could end up being a battle ground; losing the 'Spirit,' of all that is held worthwhile and that has been fostered, nurtured, and grown carefully, over more years than I've been a member. And cerainly more years than these 'Johnny come lately's.'

I thought that we were all quietly waiting for J's announcement and we would book as fast as we could normally. However, this Advance Tickets business, has certainly brought the 'creatures' out of the woodwork.

Given that some say they have been interested for some time in lc and this forum, why the hell didn't they register before THIS WEEK? I think we all know the reason for that........ :roll:

Hands up, all those who know the difference between a ticket tout and a genuine fan.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
MisLucy

Post by MisLucy »

oh my goodness gracious, it's like Christmas!!!

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”