Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
linda_lakeside

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by linda_lakeside »

Oh, Tri-Me, (nice to see you again!),

Montreal is a shoo-in, and Toronto. It's Vancouver I'm worried about. He hasn't been here since Cohen Live, I don't think - and we have the perfect venue (Orpheum Theatre), which is where he played last time. If I wasn't excited about this news when I first heard it, John E. certainly has stirred my loyalty. The cost is another factor, not only of the tickets, which will likely be scooped by scalpers (geez, I'm being cynical!), but the travel if he doesn't make it this far west. Fingers crossed that we all get a chance - nothing to do but hurry up and wait. I think it's safe to say, that we're all just as pleased and excited as the next member.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
PeGu

Post by PeGu »

OK,
now it was time for me to actually register to the forum and add my lines (I have been a reader here for quite a while, but there was nothing of any value I could have added, so I remained silent; I shall post an introduction in the next couple of days).
Living in Germany, my last chance to have seen Leonard Cohen was a good twenty years ago -- me being far to young to go to a concert "on my own". Good News now! Leonard touring and coming over to Europe! So, now I have something of value to ad: :D YESS!!!

All the very best, and I am looking forward to getting to know some of you on the concert!
Lörrach 2008, Wiesbaden Wiesbaden 2010, Mannheim 2013
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Since I've been reading about the history of Leonard's fans and their years of affection, I thought I would throw in mine......I first saw Leonard in 1961 doing a poetry reading at a small venue at Sir George Williams University, located in Montreal, I was at the neighboring McGill University at the time. I also was friendly with several of his poetry circle....Frank Scott, who taught at McGill Law School, and Louis Dudek, in the English Department at McGill. I did not meet Irving layton. The four were the "young turks" of the Canadian poetry scene.

I've followed Leonard from time to time during these 47 years and franky am quite surprised what worldwide adulation he has generated. Should be a heck of a time getting tickets to his tour

My name is also Leonard and I am also from Montreal....Leonardmtl
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yours is an intriguing back story, Leonard. I certainly HOPE you get tickets.
The four were the "young turks" of the Canadian poetry scene.
That evokes a great vision that I like. Thanks for sharing it with us.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

La Presse article has been quoted today by the leading Croatian music web-site: http://www.muzika.hr/default.aspx?id=14347

(my translation) " [...] Cohen is currently gathering the musicians. He pointed that he didn't play the guitar for 15 years and that he's very anxious." The rest of the article says that it's his first tour after 15 years and that it starts - probably - during May in Canada and that more is to be announced in February.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Every guitar player in the audience will empathize. Every instrument player in the audience will empathize. Every one who truly cares about seeing Leonard will empathize. For any who might be in the remaining minority:
"Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care."
With that length of time and a perfectionist like Leonard, it's understandable; but I hope his feeling anxious will fade.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
claret

Post by claret »

cant wait to see the great man again dance me to the end
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love all these hidden ones emerging to have their say 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
sixpackjunkie

Post by sixpackjunkie »

I have tears in my eyes... Leonard means so much for my life. So time to register to say Thank you!!! I`ve never thought I had a chance to see him. But maybe dreams come true. I'm sorry for my bad english. Sixy from Austria
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I love all these hidden ones emerging to have their say
No kidding, Lizzy! There are so many new names here, it's kind of overwhelming. The 'next' generation of Leonard Lovers and 'Latent' Leonard Lovers - his tour won't suffer from lack of attendance, that's for sure. No 'sauntering'' to TicketMaster - once word gets out, drop what you're doing, pull out the plastic and get on the phone! I hope he's geared up to do more than one night in some towns. Like Montreal, Toronto and VANCOUVER!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I hope he's geared up to do more than one night in some towns.

I've wondered about that, too, Linda. I'd say you got at least 2 out of 3 on that... not so sure about Vancouver, but then I wouldn't know about those Canadian connections and venues like you folks up there would, anyway. I'm guessing you'd get out your plastic to catch some mode of transportation, too, right? I KNOW he's not coming to Florida :lol: !!

Yeah! When I see what seems an unfamiliar or vaguely familiar name, I check the number of postings and sure enough, often enough... there we have it... 1 :lol: !! I'm tempted to say, "Hey! Where've you been all this time??"

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Yes. Hopefully, everyone will stick around and we can start a new round of Leonard chat. I sure hope they didn't miss all those years of lyrics, disc trading, great photos, anecdotes, etc. Well, the bottom line is a fan of Leonard's is a good thing to be.

As far as Vancouver - well it's not toooo far from L.A., so it would be a logical stop if he goes to L.A. and he's played here several times. But, the city is in turmoil with the upcoming Olympics, so who knows? I guess I wait until Feb. for the itinerary. Tom said 'probably May' - 'maybe' there's a chance to coincide a date in Edmonton??? Wouldn't THAT be something? 8)
harryboro

Post by harryboro »

So many questions and blank spaces. Where, when and how will we all get tickets....????
Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

jarkko wrote:The following advance notice is posted with Leonard's permission.

Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in
Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer.
More details will be announced in February.
Paula

Post by Paula »

It is really nice to see all these new names.

Question to the newbies have you been lurking for a while or just come across the site recently?
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”