Glass' "Book of Longing" in Athens

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
Sophia

Glass' "Book of Longing" in Athens

Post by Sophia »

I don't know if Leonard will include Athens in his tour schedule(I hope so!), but Philip Glass will perform "Book of Longing" at Badminton Theatre, July 8-12.

http://www.enet.gr/online/online_print?id=47308448

Sophia
liverpoolken

Re: Glass' "Book of Longing" in Athens

Post by liverpoolken »

I'm surprised Glass and his team have chosen this venue to stage Book Of Longing.

I saw the Tiger Lillies in the Badminton 'Theatre' last year and I can honestly say that the place is second only to the Birmingham NEC as the worse venue I've ever experienced.

As the name suggests it was the venue for the badminton during the 2004 Olympics.

No doubt it served it's purpose for badminton, but as a concert venue it sucks.

The acoustics are dreadful.

So buyer beware.

It just so happens that I fly home out of Athens on the 7th. July so at least I won't be tempted.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I wonder if Glass is doing some scouting for Leonard to measure how many Leonard fans will appear at each venue. If not, I'm guessing Leonard management will at least be paying attention. Are you going, Sophia?

Privately to someone, I said wouldn't it be incredible if Leonard did a show on Hydra... I know, dream on...

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Lizzy, yes, most likely I'm going to see him, if Leonard's tour won't change my plans of course!

Ken, I don't have the chance to see Philip Glass so often here, so the choice of this venue is the last thing to think about.
Badminton Theater is a big, new venue,( personally I would prefer to see him in a smaller one performing "Book of Longing"),but if this is one of the worst venues you 've ever experienced, you are really lucky!
http://www.badmintontheater.gr/wwwenglish/main.asp

Sophia
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Sophia

The theatre is a barn of a place with quite a pronouced echo, especially towards the back of the auditorium.
It certainly didn't suit the cabaret style of the Tiger Lillies.
I didn't have much choice in choosing my seat as I only was able to buy my seat on the day of the concert.
I had a seat about half way back from the stage in the side stalls.

If you decide to attend the Book Of Longing concert I would advise to try to get a seat as near to the stage as possible and as central as possible. I was in the front row centre at the Barbican and was able to enjoy the interaction between singers, musicans and even Glass himself. This for me gave the evening an added dimension giving it a gently understated musical theatre feel to it.

For me the concert would have been perfect if it had been staged on a blacked out stage with a sympathetic lighting plot.

The set consisted mainly of LC doodles made large and was far too distracting having the feel of an old 1970s agit-prop theatre production.

It really is worth paying out a few euros more and getting yourself a good seat near the stage.

Good luck.

Ta Ken
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Thanks, Ken. Are you sure you won't be tempted to change the date of your return? ;-)

Sophia
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Sophia wrote:Thanks, Ken. Are you sure you won't be tempted to change the date of your return? ;-)
Sophia

Never say never.
I might just do that.
I'm booked to fly out of Athens on Monday 7th. July after spending 5 weeks on the islands. Knowing my luck I'm expecting to miss LC's European summer concerts - I only cancel holidays for Dylan - so perhaps another Book Of Longing concert might look very attractive come July.

Ta Ken
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . so perhaps another Book Of Longing concert might look very attractive come July.
If Book of Longing doesn't, Sophia will ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ragsandfeathers

Post by ragsandfeathers »

I saw Book of Longing when it played at Stanford, and also saw the mediated discussion between Glass and Cohen. It was wonderful, and I'd love to see it again. BUT.... having never seen LC in concert, I'd definitely change plans to see the tour, Book of Longing or no... but that's just me. I've seen Dylan, too, btw.
....Now that my ladder's gone
I must lie down where all the ladders start
In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart

W.B. Yeats

Return to “Book of Longing”