And Death Shall Have No Dominion

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Funeral Blues is a monument of a poem, indeed. How these poems of death have such beauty! It's hard not to cry while reading them. Another poem on this subject I find quite moving is Yeats' "When You Are Old".

'rage, rage against the dying of the light' what a beautiful line...

I wonder how many of you poets have put to paper similar musings on the subject of your demise? That would be interesting to see.

Thanks Laurie and everyone. Such a beautiful and sorrowful page.

Linda.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

The link below will take you to the BBC Radio 4 webpage for The Map of British Poetry Programme, which started this afternoon at 4:30 my time. If you note the date and times of the repeat (Next Saturday at 11:30pm, my time) you will hear Dylan Thomas reading his 'Do not go gentle..' and also 'Fear no more the heat o' the sun...' from Shakespeare's Cymbeline, read by Tom Courtney. The webpage has a link for internet users to listen 'live' to the programmes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/mapportal.shtml

To have Seamus Heaney and Philip Larkin reading their own work in the first of the two programmes is wonderful as well. To answer a previous question, Heaney's translation of Beowulf adorns my bookcase. But, I really must sit down and read it properly sometime. :roll: I've only got half way through it so far.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Thanks for the links, Byron. While I was in the library the other day, I came across Beowulf, the pages were so thin, the print was so small, the poem so long, I thought "maybe I'll check it out" then I thought "but they won't get it back for about 1,200 years". I decided I couldn't afford the overdue fines.

Linda.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I missed the reading by Thomas, don't know if we would've rec'd it over here anyhoo. Every time I do happen by his poems, it makes me shiver. I suppose I'll put it on my Chrismas list. An audio version and companion book. I don't ask for much.

In the language he uses, Thomas' personality looms so large ( don't know if it's true or not) but these poems are just lovely, lovely. So powerful. Another box of kleenex, pls.

Linda.

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”