Poetry Project

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
philrose

Poetry Project

Post by philrose »

I've been writing poetry and songs for many years, posted a few on the forum here. I'm not a musician in any way but have an idea how some of my work could
be accompanied by instruments. There is an old, historic recording studio here in NW Florida, one with lots of history dating back to the 50's. Recently I got invited to take a look around and spend some time there just hanging out. I mentioned to the staff that I wrote poetry and songs etc and had thought about some kind of spoken word project. I have enough material for 3 CD's, all of which form 1 body of work along a particular theme. A kind of life journey in words.
I got a call today from the studio, they have a budget for community based music projects. Local musicians have offered to donate time to work on the project.
The studio have set up time slots for me to go in and record my spoken words and then the musicians will record music around it. I've never done anything like this before and I'm nervous and excited. Anyone have any experience of this?. I hope I don't make a fool of myself.
There are many spirits who stay restless in the studio and I've included a reference to that in one of my poems.
Thought I'd share this with our members. will update as we go along.
~~~ A Wandering Soul Mislaid ~~~
jacobqec

Re: Poetry Project

Post by jacobqec »

Anyone can learn to understand poetry. It's really not that hard.
First, I think you should understand most poets don't go around deliberately hiding meanings. (Perhaps T.S, Eliot and Ezra Pound are exceptions. The meanings are there for all of us to see.
Second, here's what you have to do. Take a fairly short and fairly simple poem like Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken. Read it over and over again. With a pencil mark the rhyme scheme--just so you know what it is. Do the same with the meter and such other devices of sound as alliteration and assonance.
Now start looking for images. What are the images you see in the poem. These are not necessarily symbols, just references to what you perceive with your five senses. The two roads. The leaves on top of the roads. But, in my opinion I would advice you to consider visual poetry which is a network for poets to make their work handled with a touch of creativity. There are members there who add a magical touch, which is motion graphics, video, photography, paintings and other features that gives your poems a new look and a way to present itself with. I hope that you would love to see your poetry presented in the form of visualized poetry
Minna

Post by Minna »

Last edited by Minna on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a new petition for Troy Davis at http://amnestyusa.org/troydavis
danny

Post by danny »

I haven't any experience but I have heard a lot of good poetry set to music, some which is too awful to play. Either the music doesn't match or suite the text and just distracts, or the delivery of the poet isn't great. So I'd recommend you work together with the musicians even if that means you can't do more than the first CD this time. Try a few different styles just to see what works best. Be there with the musicians while they are working and at the end record your poetry again in places if a different style of delivery fits better with the music.

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”