"(A Real) Space Oddity"

This section is for all other music-related topics
lizzytysh

"(A Real) Space Oddity"

Post by lizzytysh »

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love the visuals, love his voice, and love his rendering of this song. Very moving indeed! Wishing astronauts Chris and Tom a SAFE trip HOME!!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... 1481237582
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
elizabeth925

Re: "(A Real) Space Oddity"

Post by elizabeth925 »

I saw the video on the news this morning. What a creative and smart man! Yes, I second wishes for a safe trip home!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's so funny to see that he's the Commander of the mission ~ when he just looks like a serious [and fun] kid with a guitar!
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

The first time I saw him I thought that he looks like an immensely sympatic boy with a mustache not of his age.

I was amazed by his rendering of this song! I heard that David Bowie himself put a link on his site toward the video.

I too wish to all the crew a good returning home.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I was amazed by his rendering, too, Tchoc 8) .

Didn't know that Bowie linked it, but sure not surprised. Thanks for that info.

I have no idea what his age actually is... but my comment was also a commentary on how the older 'we' [as in "I"] get, the younger everyone looks... and to think that this guy is Commandeering a space mission. WoW.

As I watched it [twice] I wondered what all those things were on the walls as the guitar floated down the 'hallway' and wondering if one or the other[s] could incur damage by floating into them. Logically, of course not, or he wouldn't have chanced it, but I couldn't keep it out of my mind, either, as the guitar floated out of reach at all the odd angles.

Sent the link to my email, so I can keep and share it elsewhere.
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Liz don't act like if you are 200 years old. The guy is 54, you know. He has boy's eyes and feature that's all. A boy with a big mustache.

For Bowie, this is what I have heard, I did not check, but he must be amazed himself by the fate of his song.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

My! We are far from Laïka playing Baïka (poor (poor) sweetie!) now. Rocket Stars we can call them. The first being the first dog, and the second being the first of so many things. The first Rocket rock star, for instance.

"Bowie, who released the original in the summer of Neil Armstrong’s “giant leap”, was among thousands to tweet it. “Hallo Spaceboy,” he wrote, recalling a song from his album, Outside."

Source :

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 13787.html

Just too bad that Isaac Asimov is not here to witness all this. No fiction anymore, just science.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Cate

Post by Cate »

I love it!!!

Colonel Hadfield has been pretty cool while in space, not just another handsome astronaut taking a spin around the planet.

I posted this someplace else but Chris has been incredibly generous with his time. While in space last Monday he led our music Monday (a day one all the kids across the country sing at the same time) I think ~ million kids came home that night either wanting to be a singer or an astronaut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM7XerPy2kY
Kush

Post by Kush »

very cool, he is a pro. And I like his window seat.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Rocket Stars we can call them.
. . .
The first Rocket rock star, for instance.
:lol:
Just too bad that Isaac Asimov is not here to witness all this. No fiction anymore, just science.
True.

54?? Are you serious!?! NO WAY does he look that... not even close.

Yeah, what an honour for Bowie to have his song played and sung by an astronaut in space.

What a great project, Cate! Our space program NEEDS kids striving to be astronauts.

Thanks for all those links, Mary. Look forward to watching them.

Loved the views, too, Kush.
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

I don't think that there is such a thing as just another looking good astronaute circling the planet. They are all pretty much out-of-this world-people well before flying in the sky above. They have to be. Even Laïka the dog was an exceptional being among her pairs, this is why she was chosen. Poor little sweety. So brave and good and having to perish like this... It is so heart breaking.

Chris Hadfield adds good communication skills to the "ordinary" curicculum. He is good with people and everybody seems to appreciate him, and on the top of all this, a guy with a guitar in hand is likely to be more appreciated by others, according to a recent serious study. I heard that he is such a simple man, but he is impressive due to his huge capacities.

Liz check there is you don't believe me. 8) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hadfield

They are now back on Earth. This seems a rough landing to me. Can't they find another way to come back than this? It looks like throwing a tin can by the window of a car. Right through a huge fire, then BANG. There is human beings in there, not jumping beans.

They will not jump anywhere for the first days, as they can not even walk due to gravity which they can not stand after being freed from it for months.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That was a rhetorical question, Tchoc... but glad I 'posed' it because when you posted the Wiki link, I was curious what all it had to say.
. . . a Canadian astronaut who was the first Canadian to walk in space.
Congratulations, Canada and Canadians!

And, now, look at this info that's also there!
Music

Hadfield is currently[when?] working on the first original music album to be recorded in orbit during his free time on Expedition 35. He will be recording the album using a Larrivée Parlor guitar, Shure microphones, and Cakewalk for recording.[16] The first song recorded in space, Jewel in the Night, was released via YouTube on Christmas Eve 2012.[17] His collaboration with Ed Robertson of the Barenaked Ladies and the Wexford Gleeks, Is Somebody Singing? (sometimes shortened I.S.S.), was aired on the CBC Radio program Q and released by CBC Music online on 8 February 2013.[18] Hadfield sang Is Somebody Singing along with singers across Canada for the national Music Monday program.[19] Hadfield has been credited musically on his brother Dave Hadfield's albums.

On 12 May 2013, after handing over command of the ISS before returning home, he released a music video recorded on the ISS of a modified rendition of "Space Oddity" by David Bowie.[20]
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks, Tchoc.
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for those links, Mary. I looked at his Facebook page. Will look at the others later. His children are very proud of him, too [surprize, surprize ;-) ].
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

On the site titled "Upworthy," these comments were made, surrounding the same video that I posted:
Ground Control to Major Tom.

An actual astronaut is actually singing this song.

It's the first music video shot in space, it's taken oh so long...

10... 9... 8... 7...1

. . .

The first Canadian to walk in space, who also was the first Canadian to command the International Space Station, is now the first human to shoot a music video in space on his last day on the job. This also makes him the first Canadian space music video commander producer with a Facebook page that you should Like.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Other music”