Sept 21st Melbourne gathering

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Andrew (Darby)

Sept 21st Melbourne gathering

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi there, Melbourne based Cohenites, just to let you know Alan M informed me some while ago that he and his wife Karin will be in Melbourne for some days from September 21st and we have therefore now decided to meet up on that day, it of course being the date of Leonard’s birthday anniversary. 8)

We will dine out in the evening at a restaurant in the Melbourne CBD and would love any Melbourne (or potentially visiting) Cohenites to join us for this special occasion, one where we will celebrate the wonderful legacy Leonard has left us in general, along with whatever he means to each of us on a more personal level. :D

In the meantime I will scout for a suitable restaurant, aiming for one that is not too expensive and ideally with a semi-private area where a small group of us could meaningfully share our thoughts and experiences without too much outside intrusion.

Please let me (or Alan) know if you are interested in attending. My email address is darby203@bigppond.com. I may also be messaged on 0408 751 541.

By the end of August I’ll be aiming to make a booking, though final numbers may not be necessary until several days out from that date.

Cheers,
Andrew D. :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Sept 21st Melbourne gathering

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi again, time flies, so it's time to provide an update on our proposed gathering. ;-)

Unfortunately, so far only one other Melburnian had indicated they will be free to participate in this restaurant meet-up on the 21st September. :neutral:

Nevertheless, I've started looking at restaurants, though with only four of us so far committed, it won't be necessary to make a booking just yet. I expect to do so in the next week or so, after further canvasing other restaurant options.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

There are still only four of us able and committed to meeting up in Melbourne on the evening of September 21st... however, it's not too late, if there are any other takers within striking distance of Melbourne. ;-)

Anyway, after consultations, I've now made a reservation at the Duke of Wellington Hotel, 146 Flinders Street, Melbourne, for 6.30 pm.

So, if you would still like to join us, please let me know soon, then I can adjust the booking numbers as necessary.

You may contact me at darby203@bigpond.com or phone/text me on 0408 751 541.

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Although there were not many of us present at this gathering last night, we had an enjoyable and meaningful time together nevertheless. :D

We started out at The Duke of Wellington hotel where we had a satisfying reasonably priced meal, during the course of which we duly acknowledged Leonard with a toast.

We then adjourned to Alan and Karin’s nearby holiday apartment. Here the wine and conversation flowed in equal quantities. The night slipped away with stealthy haste and, before we could catch our breaths, the time arrived for Junk and I to scurry off to catch our last trains home. ;-)

All in all, it was a fitting way to celebrate the birthday anniversary of our man and honour him in this way, even though he is no longer with us physically. 8)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “Other gatherings”