Barcelona Party on 21st Sept

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
jade

Re: Barcelona Party on 21st Sept

Post by jade »

jorcx wrote:Dear friends:
I´d like to propose a gathering in Barcelona to celebrate Leonard´s Birthday. I have no idea if there is any fan club or whatever, anyhow if anybody from Barcelona/Catalonia/Spain wants to join in please answer to this message and we´ll see what we can do. I offer myself for playing some Catalan covers of Cohen songs and we could also do some tradings of rarities etc. Depending on the number of people interested we´ll decide whether to do the party in some bar, on the beach or in my kitchen... Anyone out there? (Algú s´apunta?)
Jordi
:D

If i was in Spain i would join you.
ForYourSmile

A beer for Leonard

Post by ForYourSmile »

A beer for Leonard!

All prepared for the party - concert - tribute to our Leonard. 8)

The program is: Ciscu will interpret his Hallelujah in English (Jeff style), Tonyo will read selected poems, the important part: Jorcx with his versions in Catalan and finally Jordi Batiste with Hallelujah in Catalan.

Still Jorcx can obtain more important guests among his musical friends and Cohen's fans, like Batiste.

LONDON BAR C/Nou de la Rambla, 34 21.30 h. Free Entry.

Tomorrow we will drink good beers :wink: to his health and with his music.

Cheers Leonard, happy birthday! :D :D :D

[Simon, I have received your message, thanks, see you soon, I hope...]
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife »

Lizzytish, I would love to hear more about the LA gathering too it would be nice to meet up with these folks. It would be nice to see Dar again too.

I have been out of it for so long I thought Sean lived in Oregon.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
dar

Post by dar »

Thanks for thinking of me Gypsy. Good thing I was hopping all over the forum and caught this post. (I feel bad now since I posted a reply on another thread about passing me by.)
I hope that Sean or someone trying to plan this LA meet-up will start a thread that I can remember related to this gathering. I'm so senile I can't even remember where I read the original invitation to get together.
Hope you are well and hope to meet-up in LA. (I'm betting you're the person I know who I missed on an LA trip a few years ago?)
Take care.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Gypsey Wife ~

Well, I sure won't be a part of the L.A. gathering :lol: . However, I had been thinking that you were Dar. So, it looks like none of the three of us is thinking quite right :lol: .

At least for now, I'm crediting the Mythos for my part.

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I'm seeing 'Mythos' around the board quite a bit. Sounds like something worth investigating! Does it taste better in Greece, Lizzy? OR is just as good where you are? I've found that the drinks I have while on holiday, just don't seem/taste the same at home. Beer especially. I guess that's because many countries export products that aren't served in their own country. Nonetheless, you sound pleased with your acquisition. :D It helps to get it from the source, I bet!

Linda.
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife »

Well Dar next time don't pass me by, I replied on the other thread.

During the Hydra gathering in 2002 I recall almost everybody drinking Heinikin.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Linda and Gypsey ~

If most drank Heinekin, what a shame they missed out on Mythos :) . Heinekin, you can get anywhere. Mythos, on the other hand, is exclusive to just a few, Greek restaurants, it seems. At least here.

Linda ~ I am delighted to report that the Mythos tasted the same, coming from the Hellenic brewery area, with all the Greek info on the bottle. Ahhhh, the sweet taste of home is how it felt :D . I lifted my glass to Bi, as promised. Then, I returned to my sweet memories of Hydra. I wasn't able to get a case, as they were down to only two, and Mythos is the only, Greek beer printed as an offering on the menu. However, I did bring home a 6-pack, at $1.50 USD per bottle. They cost $3.00 USD, if you drink them at the restaurant. The size of the bottle is smaller [11.2 oz.] than at Roloi's. I believe theirs is 16 oz. However, there's another bar on the harbour that had the 11.2 oz., over which I was thrilled to find the lower price of $2.50 Euros, until I saw the size of the bottle :shock: :lol: . The smaller bottle is perfect for home, though, as it gives me the taste and the memory, without feeling obliged to drink [or waste] the remainder of the bottle.

Yes, I know what you mean about the differences in taste, between the atmosphere, where one originally drank it, and the beer itself. I feared it would be a lesser-quality product, but by closing my eyes, I could have been on Hydra, again :D . It was wonderful. It also had that same smooth, non-after-effect that must come from preservatives, and non-feeling of 'intoxication.' I had two at the restaurant [one bought by the bartender], and then one at home, yesterday.

It's tacky to expect someone to be impressed by where you've been, so I only told him of how I have a feeling of longing to return there, and encouraging him to go there himself, one day. I described [as much as one can] the uniqueness and beauty of the island, and shared some facts about olive trees, learned from one of the books I purchased on Hydra ~ "Olive Oil ~ The Elixir of Life." I'm going to try to buy a copy for him, along with for a couple other people.

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Lizzy,

Thanks for the lowdown on Mythos! Sounds like you went to a lot of trouble to get a 'taste of Hydra'!

Olive Oil - The Elixir of Life. That should be interesting. A good olive oil is extremely beneficial and the whole process of the various pressings is interesting as well. A friend of mine lived in Greece for a while, and the olive oil is what she remembers the best (in the food category), as I"m sure you know, it's used in everything! Sounds like you're doing what you can to make home a 'piece of Hydra'. Until your next visit, of course.

Linda.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: 90-mile roundtrip, but I had to go there for dog food, anyway. He said I should come more often, but with working 7 days/week now, it's really tough! I had what they term a "Traditional Greek Salad" ~ same ingredients as on Hydra, also unlike what "Greek Salad" was at another place, recently, and even at this restaurant [they have both versions]. I had some Greek-style, chicken soup, too. The 'regular' "Greek Salad" has iceberg lettuce :shock: . Puhleeze :lol: . He also did a wine tasting for me ~ setting up four empty, glasses with four bottles of Greek wine behind them. The closest I came to the mild taste I remember was the "Cabernet Cambas 2000" and the "Nico Lazaridi Merlot 2002 Regional Agora" ~ I preferred the latter. However, I'm not much into wines, anymore, but since drinking a small glass of red with a meal is reportedly 'good' for us, I'll check out a few wine stores for it. Meanwhile, Mythos :D .

The bartender is very accommodating and told me of another, Greek restaurant situated toward Orlando ~ the Mykonos 8) . I'll be checking it out sometime, as well.
dar

Post by dar »

I've been following your tastes of Greece posts with interest Lizzy. They've really made me recall how I was on an almost total Greek food binge for over a year at least (back in about 1989). Even used to sing "Wasting Away Again in Retsinaville". I really acquired a taste for the ol' pine tar and still really like the stuff. I love feta, and Kalamata olives, and filo dough (tough to learn to cook with), and Baklava and all things spinach and lamb and mousakka and pita bread (the good stuff), and...anyway...I sure wish I could have tasted Greece in Greece since I've had a love for the food and culture and music for many years. But haven't tried the beer and now I must find it too!
Stop these posts or I'll go on another Greek food binge for a year or more, at least until I can go to Hydra in person!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Dar,

Hi, I just wanted to post a quick thought here on things Greek. I come from Vancouver which has a large Greek community. Once a year, the community pulls out the stops and has 'Greek Days'. Very touristy, but if you know the area (very nice area) you can find all sorts of restaurants and stores with Greek items. Not the touristy things. Very intersting things. I learned to love Greek food there. But, as I don't indulge in ouzo and imported beer that often, I found Lizzy's posts to be very tasty indeed. Having never been to Greece, she certainly made it come alive (via the stomach) :D for me!

Regards,
Linda.

I once tried to make spinach pies, using the filo dough. :x Not so good. It takes practise.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, boy, Dar and Linda ~

If you get to Hydra, it'll be all over :D ! I'll share some more about my time there when I get a chance, but it seems I need to start with leaving home. It'll be my own record of events, as well as sharing. My time is so limited now, I don't have time to even do it for myself, and I just now ~ last night ~ wrote my first, two "thank you" cards! Then, went to bed :shock: .

Those Greek days sound great! I need to take a side trip to Tarpon Springs, in Florida. It's a large, Greek community [basically the whole town], with sponge docks as a primary resource.

Plan to go next year, Dar 8) ! You won't regret the additional expense :D .

Love,
Lizzy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

How cool it would be to go to Barcelona for a Leonard's Birthday Celebration one year! Are all of you guys planning to come to Berlin? For now, that will be the 'next best.'

Return to “Other gatherings”