"Came So Far For Beauty "Brooklyn N.Y. Prospect Pa

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
lightning

"Came So Far For Beauty "Brooklyn N.Y. Prospect Pa

Post by lightning »

An evening of songs under the stars at the Prospect Park Bandshell in Brooklyn also known as the Hal Wilner Leonard Cohen Project will take place Saturday night, 6/28/03. Artists featured are the Handsome Family, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Teddy Thompson, Martha Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, Laurie Anderson, Nick Cave, Perla Batalla and Julie Chistensen. Special surpise guests are also promised. Event is free with suggested donation of $3. Scheduled for 7:30 P.M.

Poetry lovers in New York for the weekend might also like to attend the memorial for Beat poet Ted Joans at the Bowery Poetry club , 308 Bowery Sunday June 29 at 3 P.M. featuring Taylor Mead, Tuli Kupferberg, Amiri Baraka, David Amram and others.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I'm copying Jim Rotonda's first report from the Leonard Cohen Newsgroup (alt.music.leonard-cohen) - another great place for
discussion about LC and his work!

Waiting for more reports from our members who were lucky to be there!!! / Jarkko

Jim writes:

I can't give a full report since I don't have the program in front of me and
I was unfamiliar with some of the performers. I can give a preliminary one
and some impressions, but be forewarned I do not have enough superlatives to
describe it.

It was like being in heaven. Picture this - The weather is perfect; The area
is packed with over 5000 fans and your sitting in the second row, VIP
section, (Courtesy of Esther Cohen) with your favorite ng buddies; and you
are being treated to 3 hours of a succession of the best covers you have
ever heard.

Nick Cave growled out "I'm Your Man" and "Diamonds In The Mine" among
others.
Hard to believe, but I think he did "Diamonds In The Mine" better than LC.

Rufus Wainright's "Hallelujah" brought me to tears. I heard Ms. Cohen say it
was the best rendition she had heard him do. Then he topped it with a saucy
version of "Everybody Knows" that brought down the house. The man's talent
is without bounds. I can only echo Joe Way's prayer that somebody recorded
it.

There was a rendition of "Bird On The Wire" by a female singer that showed
how perfect phrasing and heartfelt expression can add meaning to a song; it
was exquisite.

There was an angry performance of "The Future"
by a male guitarist, prefaced by the comment that then future is now.

There was also: "Famous Blue Raincoat"; "Suzanne"; "Story Of Isaac";
"Sisters Of Mercy"; "Alexandra Leaving"; "A Thousand Kisses Deep"; "Chelsea
Hotel"; "Dress Rehearsal Rag"; and more, including a duet of Rufus and Nick
doing "Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On'.

One of my favorite moments was a loud spontaneous cheer arising when a
female trio sang the line -

"I can't run no more
with that lawless crowd
while the killers in high places
say their prayers out loud."

Another was after the concert when we got to mix with the artists. I heard
Rufus say.
"Well now that they struck down the sodomy laws we can go home with our
hard-ons."

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for one of the other chroniclers to get the
full account. I am so sorry you could not be there.

Jim
Last edited by jarkko on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Jim ~

Thank you so much for your accounting, although you may consider it inadequate, it brought me a feeling of excitement, and regret that I couldn't attend. I got literal chills and goosebumps when you described:

"One of my favorite moments was a loud spontaneous cheer arising when a
female trio sang the line -

"I can't run no more
with that lawless crowd
while the killers in high places
say their prayers out loud."

Even in rereading it and typing this, I get them both again. Oh, how true....how true....how true. Thank you, Leonard, for your speaking of truth[s]!

I am praying that someone videotaped the concert in its entirety. Surely, someone would have? Or, at minimum, taped it all.

So excellent, the variety and selection of singers and songs. Wonderful :D !

~ Elizabeth
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda »

You’re quite welcome Lizzy.
I have to thank Dick Straub, Joe Way, and Bobbie Chalou for organizing our little excursion from the newsgroup, and Ester Cohen for having dinner with us and making us feel like family. If you could have been there it would have been icing on the cake.
I did see some video cameras around.
Jim
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Dear Jim -

welcome to the forum, and thank you for your wonderfully exciting account.

Tom
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda »

Thank you Tom
I visit often.
You guys have built a nice community here.
Jim
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, thank you so much, Jim :D ! What a shame we have to make financial decisions in our lives :( . Sounds like wonderful planning between Dick, Joe, and Bobbie. As a new phrase I've learned from the Brits here would say, "Good on them!"

What an incredibly lovely, huge surprize to have had Esther attend and be with you, as well! Now, there is a surprize guest for you :shock: :D !

I had no idea you visit here, but then how would I when you don't speak up :lol: ? Ex-post-facto, welcome to the Forum, regardless! Thanks for your own warm entry greeting :D !

~ Elizabeth
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightning

An Evening of Leonard Cohen Songs under the Stars

Post by lightning »

I came so far for Beauty to Brooklyn by the F train from Manhattan and was not disappointed for it was beauty that I found. But there were no stars to be under, clouds got in their way, big soft puffy clouds, not stars but still a nice covering for such a soft pretty night.

The temperature was ideal, the air clean for NYC that has been washed with much rain of late. I arrived at 5:30 P.M., 2 hours in advance to find a line of easily more than 100 people mostly sitting on blankets waiting to be let in. Things were distributed to the line, a free CD Sampler called "The House of Mystery" by John Bergeron, and anti-war, anti -apartheid Christian pacifist literature, an invitation to a documentary in Manhattan. I was joined by friends and the time passed quickly enough. Anticipation of the concert was that Cohen would be "destroyed" by these covers, but most walked out thinking he was honored.

"Celebrate Canada" was the theme and the stage featured a big Maple Leaf. All stood for the playing of "O Canada" and someone spoke on how hard hit Canadian business was by the SARS scare, so they were boosting
it by events like this and having the Rolling Stones in Toronto for $16 or some such tiny entrance fee.

I was seated four rows behind the reserve section near the center and could see and hear quite clearly.

First number:"There is a War" sung by an ensemble of Rufus and Martha Wainwright ( they are brother and sister, son and daughter of Kate McGarrigle and Loudon Wainwright III)and Teddy Thompson, son of Linda Thompson of Fairport Convention and some others I couldn't identify at that time. It was given a rock n' roll treatment. Rufus was the main draw of the night.
2. "I'm Your Man" by Nick Cave backed by Julie Christensen and Perla Battalla, the back-up "angels" of Cohen's 80's and 90's performances. Both seemed happy and high-spirited and were in top singing form.
3. "It Seems so Long Ago, Nancy" sung by Linda Thompson and Kate and Anna McGarrigle ( Canadian folksingers).
4." Story of Isaac," a slowed down verson performed by Linda Thompson. She changed the lyric, "I will help you if I must" to " I will love you if I must".
5. 1000 Kisses Deep by Linda Thompson and the Handsome family, performers I never heard of before. The male had a very low voice, the female a high one.
6. "The Guests" by Laurie Andersen with Julie and Perla backing. A
stunning performance, especially Laurie's violin solo.
7. "Tower of Song" Martha Wainwright backed by Julie and Perla. It had country and western feel which the crowds loved and cheered for.
8. "Tacoma Trailer." The lights on the stage turned blue and we got to hear a heavily orchestrated version of this rare Cohen instrumental composition. Beautiful.
9. "Hallelujah" Rufus Wainwright. "How can you spoil this song?" someone around me commented. Rufus did a creditable version.
10.Ballad of the Absent Mare--the Handsome Family
11. "I Came So Far for Beauty" Kate and Anna McGarrigle. Surprised that they had to read the song and hadn't learned it.
12."Diamonds in the Mine," Nick Cave , with Julie, Perla and the Handsome Family. Fierce but not as ferocious as Leonard.
13. "A Singer must Die" Julie Christensen. Very impressive vocal.
14." Tonight will be fine," Teddy Thompson
There was a brief intermission where a middle aged blonde woman from the Canadian consulate came out to praise and thank Leonard Cohen for his work and said he was the sexiest man alive. Others nearby me wondered if he were still alive.
15. The mysterious instrumental lead-in found on the album "Live songs" to "You Know Who I am" was played by Mark Ribot then the song was sung by Kate McGarrigle.
16. Dress Rehearsal Rag was performed by a someone I wasn't familiar with, Mark Anthony Thompson, a light skinned black guy with wild but short dread hair.
17. "The Traitor" a song many were not familiar with performed by Martha Wainwright.
18. "Heart with no Companion" the Handsome Family, performed as a Square Dance. Yee Hah!
19."Bird on a Wire" Perla Battala, solo, clear and sweet capturing all of Leonard's nuance. Outstanding cover.
20. Chelsea Hotel, Rufus Wainwright Rufus really lived there and says it's changed but didn't say how. Rufus seems to make Leonard's songs his own.
21."If it be Your Will" Laurie Anderson, Perla and Julie backing. High soprano , sweet but weaker than original.
22. "Famous Blue Raincoat" Handsome Family
23. "Alexandra Leaving" Teddy and Linda Thompson.
24. Suzanne-Nick Cave. Was surpised he had to read the lyrics. Doesn't everybody know them?
25."The Future " Teddy Thompson
26. "Everybody Knows" Rufus Wainwright.
27. "Winter Lady" Kate and Anna Mc Garrigle
28. "Anthem" Julie Christensen During this song which included the line "While the killers in high places say their prayers out loud" the crowd let out the greatest cheer of the night. What could they be thinking of in the land of George Bush, beset by Osama Bin Laden? Didn't the concert begin with "There is a War"?
29."Don't Go Home with your Hard-on" This not too popular song from "Death of a Ladies Man" sung by Rufus and Nick Cave did not communicate with the female audience member who have no hard-on of their to go home with though often they go home with someone elses.. If Rufus thinks you can now go home with your hard-on because the sodomy laws were repealed, he didn't understand the song. But what the hell?

Next the musicians were introduced one by one. Steven Bernstein, musical director, trumpet. Rob Burger, accordion, pianos, organs, bass harmonica. Marc Ribot, guitar. Michael Blake, sax, Charlie Burnham, violin, Don Falzone, bass, Maxim Mosten, violin, Joan Wasser, Violin, Kenny Wollesen, drums. Finally, Hal Willner, brains behind the whole event, came out on stage for a brief and modest bow.

So ended a concert which, though three and a half hours long, seemed to go by in an eye-blink. The crowd was rapt, spell-bound. Jaws dropped, eyes stared fixedly,and people sat at the edge of their seats. Their faces looked as if they were in church or in love. More respect was given to Leonard Cohen by a New York audience than to Puccini. When I went to see Turandot in the park a few weeks ago people were playing frisbee and getting loudly drunk on beer and wine during his best arias.

And speaking of refreshments, you could only buy the products that sponsored the event. E.G.-- you could only get Snapple so, you couldn't buy a coke. Some people were bummed by this. $6 for a mozzerella cheese sandwich, but we knew it was for a good cause-- supporting this "free" concert.

In the audience one row behind me was the great videographer Mitch Corber, Thin Air video, author of and interviewer on the audiocassette "A Conversation with Leonard Cohen" which I recently took out of the New York Public Library.

Only a few old fans complained about the absence of Leonard--the music was too upbeat, cheerful, happy, spirited-- it wasn't Leonard Cohen. And where was Judy Collins? Joan Baez? Where was Loudon Wainwright who gave his name to the new generation? These complained the concert was was too long. Most of the crowd of young people in their thirties were very happy with the covers and thrilled with new batch of performers .

They came so far for beauty and were well rewarded.
Last edited by lightning on Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:36 am, edited 9 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

MY G~D! What a night did I miss!?! Thank you for your splendid accounting of the lush offering on behalf of the Canadians, Lightning.......if I could turn back time......somehow figure a way to go! I knew it was going to be great, but reading all this, who could have asked for more, absent Leonard!!!

I laughed out loud at some of your editorial comments :wink: :lol: of course! And "The Sexiest Man Alive"......YES! He does belong on the cover of the magazine. "Tacoma Trailer" sounds like it would meet with the associations of Style, particularly with the blue lighting.

What an incredible "playlist" this concert had ~ and so many. I'd have gladly paid for my expensive refreshments. I'm so glad you were able to get a good seat, Lightning. As for the few who grumbled about this and that, I'm reminded that there are some who will always find something to complain about. It sounds to me like it was a magical evening. Perla and Julie bring stardust into any arena. Perla's rendition of "Bird On A Wire" sounds heavenly.

Thanks for taking such great notes, and bringing us the details; as always, with your New Yorkian humour, Lightning :D . Excellent. I wish I could have been there with you. Will someone please ensure Julie's presence in New York in 2004?

~ Elizabeth
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Sounds like it was a wonderful evening and the reports are so evocative of the event. Well done Lightning!
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

jesus christ!!! even nick cave among them, and linda thompson... they MUST release CD... i hope they recorded the show
Kush

Post by Kush »

Very eloquent description lightning, thank you. I live barely half hour from Brooklyn and yet didnt make it. Gotta get out more......
BTW, was that Nick Cave or Nick Cage ?
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks Jim and Lightening for great reports -- here is mine -- sorry for repetition. Can also report that Esther had a wonderful time at the show.

Dick

WOW!!!!

MEANS

Wonders of Willner!

Beauty Indeed Came So Far

Hal Willner has spearheaded a multitude of efforts that have received high praise over the years. I am hardly an unbiased observer as my appreciation of all things Cohen colors my evaluations. Still, I could never have predicted the magnificent success of the June 28, 2003 Hal Willner production – Came So Far for Beauty, An Evening of Songs by Leonard Cohen Under the Stars, in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park.

Many fans say they would much rather hear Leonard sing Leonard than listen to anyone else cover his songs, including me. In spite of that, I can’t imagine anyone who was at this live concert not appreciating the respectful, highly polished interpretations presented. Leonard’s songs of course are the foundation, and talented professional musicians are essential, but Willner deserves kudos from the Gods on high for bringing together this full night. A reported 11,000 lucky people, the largest turnout in the 25 year history of this popular concert series, were treated to a spectacular three hours of Cohen wonders in gorgeous weather.

The old debate of how Cohen songs could sound with full instrumentation has gained new fuel. The incredible backup musicians, led by trumpeter Steven Bernstein, gave positive evidence that no matter how great the original arrangements are a full band with horns can also give immense power to Cohen songs. Willner’s line up of stars was inspired, and the artists complimented each other as if they had worked together for ages. The slips expected when artists are working with unfamiliar materials were very minimal, and if anything helped add to the relaxed, fun-filled atmosphere of the entire evening.

My highlights – Nick Cave’s Diamonds in the Mine, Martha Wainwrights’ Tower of Song and Traitor solos, Perla Batalla and Julie Christensen’s exquisite Anthem, Perla’s Bird on a Wire, and Rufus Wainwright’s Hallelujah. Then there was The Handsome Family’s Ballad of the Absent Mare, and Laurie Anderson and Kate and Anna McGarrigle and Linda and Teddy Thompson and great instrumentals, and more Nick and Rufus, and it goes on. The key to the spine-tingling evening may be that there was not one performance that “just didn’t work.” Further, there were thrillingly successful moments in almost every one of the songs. A top one – Perla called out “Sing it Esther, you know the words,” recognizing Leonard’s delightful sister during a high moment in Anthem.

After O Canada, on tape, everybody opened with There is A War. Nick, Rufus, Martha and Teddy Thompson were in front, and the other performers were on stage in the background, getting the night off to a high flying start. Cave kept everyone jumping with I’m Your Man. Then Linda Thompson joined with Kate and Anna McGarrigle in a very tender rendering of Seems So Long Ago, Nancy. Linda continued with Story of Isaac. She then was joined by The Handsome Family in a very moving Thousands Kisses Deep.

Laurie Anderson teamed beautifully with Julie and Perla on The Guests. Martha’s Tower of Song followed, and Rob Burger on piano led the full band in a rousing Tacoma Trailer. Rufus gets better each time he sings Hallelujah in my opinion, and this evening’s performance validates my view. The Handsome Family has a sound that fits very naturally with Cohen’s work, and their Ballad of the Absent Mare was next, followed by the night’s title song, Came So Far for Beauty, by Kate and Anna. Nick next got the audience swaying and singing along to Diamonds in the Mine. Julie then softly mellowed us again with a lovely version of A Singer Must Die and Teddy brought the first act to closure with Tonight Will be Fine.

Guitarist Marc Ribot played a short version of Improvisation to open Act 2. It worked almost like a John Bilezikjian intro to Kate and Anna’s You Know Who I Am, and was followed by Mark Anthony Thompson’s Dress Rehearsal Rag. Martha gave a hauntingly beautiful edge to Traitor and nothing but beauty followed for the rest of the evening. The Handsome Family sound was perfect for Heart With No Companion. Perla’s Bird on a Wire was in the same league as Cash and Nelson. Rufus and Chelsea Hotel 2 were as if born together. Laurie joined Julie and Perla in a beauteous If it Be Your Will, The Handsome Family performed Famous Blue Raincoat and Linda sang the second of the “Ten New Songs,” Alexandra Leaving. Nick joined Julie and Perla on Suzanne, and while some lyric pages blew away, the interpretation worked well anyway. Teddy impressed with a sardonic, rocking The Future, which he noted, “seems an awful lot like now.” Rufus wise-cracked he was celebrating the legalization of sodomy, and joined with his mom on what he called “the Leonard Cohen meets Doris Day version” of Everybody Knows. He claimed his intention was “to fag it up” and gave an enjoyable interpretation. Winter Lady was liltingly sung by Kate and Anna, then Perla and Julie brought hearts into throats with Anthem. Concluding on another rocking, jazzy note, Rufus and Nick sang and danced together on Don’t Go Home With Your Hard On.

Although there was no encore, all the artists received closing recognition, with cheers and applause, and Hal Willner finally took a bow at the end. The additional musicians directed by Steven Bernstein, as listed in the program, included Michael Blake, sax, Charlie Burnham, violin, Don Falzone, bass, Maxim Moster and Joan Wasser, violins and Kenny Wollesen, drums. An additional horn player performed that wasn’t in the program. As were the vocalists, all musicians were superb.

Willner has earlier Cohen productions to his credit – in 1992 he featured Leonard reading a Mingus poem on his “Weird Nightmare” release. His prior projects have explored works by Nino Roto, Thelonious Monk, Edgar Allen Poe, Kurt Weill, Tim Buckley, Charles Mingus, and Harold Arlen, and he writes that Leonard is the first of his subjects that is still alive and active in his art. He describes “what I consider the most successful and magical of my genre-free collaborations/collisions (was) a segment of the “Night Music” television show with Leonard, Julie, Perla, & Was (Not Was) performing “Who by Fire” with his honor Sonny Rollins.” Willner notes that Cohen’s “music has a depth of emotion, passion, and humor that is entirely his own. It is a singular world. It ain’t background music! To those who ‘get it,’ it’s kind of a religion.”

Here’s hoping that Mr. Willner doesn’t lose his religion, and that this truly remarkable evening can be approximated again. Thousands more deserve to be transported to the skies as were we lucky ones in Brooklyn Saturday night. And, in my fervent dreams, a recording of the next Came So Far for Beauty session would definitely be an additional Wonder of Willner!
Last edited by dick on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

A recording would be a must!!!
Sounds excellent, thanks for the report, Dick. A night not to be forgotten by the sounds of it!!
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you, Dick! Yours is still another excellent account 8) !

My longing for things left undone only increases with each account :cry: . The other side of that is my sheer happiness :D for those of you who were able to manage being there 8) :D !!! Now that I see your spelling of Esther, I will return and correct my own, which I went with per the post I was responding to, even though it had seemed [from the past] that it had the "h." So very cool [and touching], Perla's engagement of Esther during "Anthem" :D . Each person's report brings in so many other facets. It's wonderful to read and imagine. With any luck, we'll at some point be able to purchase a video of it all, and experience it "second hand." That won't take away from the pleasure of it all, though. I hope we all do get another opportunity to attend another such an event. These accounts are stunning! Thank you for sharing your joy with us, all of you.

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Other gatherings”