Concert Canadien - A Ten Part Radio Documentary

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
Maarten

Concert Canadien - A Ten Part Radio Documentary

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I recently stumbled upon a 5 lp box entitled “Concert Canadien – A Ten Part Radio Documentary” on eBay which stated that one side out of ten was dedicated to Leonard Cohen. While doing some research on this box, I came upon another (cheaper) auction for this box set and bought it. I had received this box set a couple of weeks ago, but only yesterday I found the time to actually listen to it. (I wonder what kept me busy these last couple of days/weeks...) Because I don’t have a turntable myself, I had to take it to my parents’ house to have a listen... While I was there, I hooked my Roland Edirol R-05 onto the amplifyer’s headphones output and recorded the Leonard Cohen side in digital format. So now I had a nice .wav file to work with. Because I couldn’t find much information about this recording, I send the file and info to Jarkko and Tom Sakic to see whether they knew anything about it. Jarkko was unaware of its existance, Tom knew about it through Jim Devlin, but didn’t have the recording. He found out that the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library in Toronto had a copy of it amongst Leonard's papers, as Leonard's gift (box 4, released in late 1974 by York University, 1 LP - http://www.library.utoronto.ca/fisher/c ... hen399.pdf – page 6).

I have uploaded the recording through WeTransfer, along with scans and photographs of the cover, the inlay and the lp itself. I have also cut the almost 30 minute show into parts, only keeping the talk in between songs. On WeTransfer, you will find both the full audio file and the separate “talk” cuts.

Feel free download these files. The WeTransfer files are only available until April 16:
http://wtrns.fr/HghDaQC81BX1K7U

Full content of the WeTransfer folder:
Concert Canadien Content
Concert Canadien Content
Enjoy this rare recording ("Only one thousand copies of the series have been pressed").
Note that the background noise of children playing was part of the original recording, which was done in Montreal (as stated in the inlay). I suspect it to be Adam Cohen (°1972) and/or Lorca Cohen (°1974), playing at home...

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bridger15

Re: Concert Canadien - A Ten Part Radio Documentary

Post by bridger15 »

Thanks for sharing this, Maarten. It seems you spent a lot of time doing this. We appreciate it very much.

Is there a way to download individual segments, one at a time?
I downloaded the link you provided. But when I tried to run it, my laptop went "beserk".
So I would rather go slow and easy.

Thanks again for this incredible find and for doing all that work.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

Thanks so much for the download ... very interesting.. :D
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks Maarten. Files downloaded successfully, I think!

Wendy
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thanks, Maarten.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

bridger15 wrote:Thanks for sharing this, Maarten. It seems you spent a lot of time doing this. We appreciate it very much.

Is there a way to download individual segments, one at a time?
I downloaded the link you provided. But when I tried to run it, my laptop went "beserk".
So I would rather go slow and easy.

Thanks again for this incredible find and for doing all that work.
---Arlene
Mmm, Arlene, downloading the batch of files from WeTransfer should only take about 5 minutes or so I'm guessing (can anyone confirm?)... Then you have a ZIP folder which of course you should unpack before listening to the segments. Perhaps you should try again? If it still doesn't work, I can try uploading the stuff somewhere else, but the basics remain the same.

Let me know if you're managing!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Maarten wrote: Mmm, Arlene, downloading the batch of files from WeTransfer should only take about 5 minutes or so I'm guessing (can anyone confirm?)... Maarten
Depends on the speed of your internet connection Maarten! Out here, in the Warwickshire countryside, we have a c**p internet service and speeds sometimes struggle to reach 1MB. I think it took me a couple of hours to download the file but the speed varied during the process - at one point I think WeTransfer gave me an estimate of 24 hours! But what I do like about WeTransfer is that you can see whether the download is working OK as you go along.

Arlene - I think the download will settle itself down if you let it run. Failing that, I would be more than happy to mail you a disk with the files on it.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks so much, Maarten!!
Gordana

Post by Gordana »

Thank you for sharing!
Beograd 2009
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thanks Maarten and Wendy. I will give it another try later on.

---Arlene

tina

Post by tina »

I just downloaded it!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Thanks a lot,

Martina
Brugge July 2008 // Oberhausen November 2008 // Cologne July 2009 // Ghent August 2012 // Mönchengladbach September 2012 // Oberhausen June 2013 // Brussels June 2013
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Jim Devlin confirms he has cassette tape recorded off the radio broadcast from June 6, 1974, CKRY-FM radio station, 30 mins long.

Apparently we all were unaware of LP although it was stuck in my mind it has to exist (apparently because of its entry in Thomas Fischer's Leonard Cohen catalogue).
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Maarten,

It's great to have something new! And I'm very grateful for your generosity in sharing. I am slowly converting all my old LP's into CD's so I know how long it takes to do.
It took me over 6hrs to download from WeTransfer and I normally have a fast internet connection. I remember it took a while last time too. But alls well that ends well!

.....and you know what I'm going to say next......you are still stuck on my computer, but you are in good company wedged between Leonard and Jackson Browne who also refuse to leave me no matter what I do! :lol:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Maarten & Wendy... The download yesterday went very quickly. The unzip was the problem step.
It has been sorted out and is working just fine.
Thanks again.
---Arlene

holydove

Post by holydove »

Maarten, thank you so much for sharing this & for all your diligent work to make it accessible for everyone. Don't have time today, but I will download it in the next couple of days. Can't wait to hear it!

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”