The Other Leonard Cohen Album

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
DrHGuy

Re: The Other Leonard Cohen Album

Post by DrHGuy »

I am writing to all those who have left comments in this thread or sent messages about The Other Leonard Cohen Album to me by email and PM to gratefully acknowledge, as Leonard is wont to declare, you are very kind.

Over 900 unique viewers (or, more accurately, more than 900 different computer addresses) have been referred by LeonardCohenForum to the The Other Leonard Cohen Album post since it was published at Heck Of A Guy, the vast majority of those hits occurring since Feb 12 when I posted the information here. That makes the Forum the largest source of viewers for this post. Assuming that a number of Forum folks share a computer (regardless of how many people use the same internet access, they still count as only 1 unique viewer), it's likely that 1000 different people from the Forum have read that post in the last four days, most of whom downloaded the songs being offered (while determining the origins of visitors to a blog post is relatively straightforward, discovering the origins of downloaders is tricky). While those numbers aren't going to make Jeff Bezos at Amazon or the iTunes folks sleepless with anxiety, I'm impressed as all get-out about this amount of interest in LC's music, especially given the esoteric nature of many of the selections and the hassles of downloading this homemade collection of songs from a cantankerous web site, decompressing files, etc.

The other good news is that, as of a few minutes before I wrote this post you are now reading, the download site, despite ongoing warnings, is still functional. The files may, however, disappear at any time, so, If you have an interest in these songs but haven't downloaded them yet, the information about this and the download links are at http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/01/25/now-a ... hen-album/

Thank you again for the kind words.

Allan
~AKA DrHGuy at Heck Of A Guy
Darling

Post by Darling »

I love you doc, you're the best. :)
Darling

Post by Darling »

I love you doc, you're the best. :)

While I was downloading, I started to read your wonderful love story with Julie. I am not finished yet (I am at The Letter), I want to take the time to savour it, but I am glad you too found each other and had many years of happiness. She seemed like an amazing woman and you deserved her. Thanks for sharing.
holydove

Post by holydove »

DrH, I want to give you a BIG thank you for putting together that wonderful collection of LC songs. It took some hours to get them into my iTunes, but it was worth every agonizing moment - I absolutely LOVE the albums!

I'd venture to say you have provided us with some healing in our state of withdrawal, as only YOU can! I don't know how we would survive without you - you are a gem!
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Since last year´s soundcheck on Piazza San Marco in venice,
i was longing for the darkness.....
this morning i found your link
and i´m quite blond, but within 30 minutes i ´ve made it!
leonard is singing now in my living room
some songs i´ve never heard before;
thank you doctor
for healing me with this feast for the ears!
kind regards from germany
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Pope

Post by Pope »

And I was in the audience when Blues by The Jews (Billy Sunday) was recorded.
Can you hear me?
Glyn
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear Allan,

Thank you, thank you, thank you....seems I'm always thanking you but I'm overwhelmed by your sense of perfection!

Because of your offering, I have experienced another "first" in my life. The first cd I've burned! Mind you, it took me 2 days...5 discs...searching areas of my computer I never knew existed...screaming out words my kitties had never heard :roll: ....then tears when I actually inserted the cd and music came out! Hallelujah :D

The old country songs are fabulous....everything is fabulous....but I think what totally blew me away was the 17 minute long "Blues by the Jews"! OMG!!! I love blues and this was heaven! How cool would it be for this to be included in a future concert!

You selected such a grouping of eclectic songs, from so many decades, and genres, including the "new" songs....I can only bow to you in supreme appreciation and gratitude! Thank you for all you have given us!

Diana

ps...wow Glyn, you were THERE!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Allan! This is so nice of you to have this for us to listen to.
I love your site and want to thank you again for the Other Leonard Cohen Album..
Leslie (Mutti) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

Many, many thanks for all your efforts. I have listened to these two downloads for the first time today and they are priceless. An absolute must have for any LC fan. Love the Web site. Keep up the good work which is very much appreciated. Thank you.
1972 : Royal Albert Hall, London.
2008 : O2, London X 2, Brighton.
2009 : Weybridge.
2012 : L'Olympia, Paris X 2.
2013 : June O2, London
holydove

Post by holydove »

Ladydi, yes! I've been saying for 3 days now how incredibly BRILLIANT a song is Blues for the Jews, and I would DIE to hear Leonard do that song live! I'd never heard it before, and it totally blows me away - I just have to listen to it again and again. . .

And I echo the sentiment - Wow, Glyn, how fortunate you were to be there for that one!!

And I have to thank DrH again for that wonderful compilation - as usual, I love it more every time I listen!
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi holydove,

I would LOVE to see "Blues by the Jews" (or if they feel it necessary to change the name ;-) ) on a future concert! btw, I've responded to you on another thread. I'll try to download the "Beacon" for you. Will pm you tomorrow. :D
Pope

Post by Pope »

I am of course assuming that the recoding on this compilation so superbly put together was
Blues For The Jews Birmingham UK 8th December 1979. That's the one I was at.
Glyn
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

Just heard The Hypnotist. Ive always loved the poem and to hear it recited by Leonard himself is a real treat! I can imagine women giving themselves to him quite often for that voice!
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Dr. H. , Thank you ! My first reaction to this "Other Album" was Probably won't work / or too good to be true, but then inspired by the example of Ladydi, holydove and the others, I had a go, and found the download worked like clockwork. :D Delighted to have rare treasures like Red River Valley, Streets of Laredo; Leonard in "revolutionary mode" in We shall not be moved, The Union makes us strong, and Lullaby which he sang in Dublin. I now share your enthusiasm for Do i have to dance all night - that could definitely be revived for the next concerts ! So thanks again, such generosity on your part reminds us of why we love this forum.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

Pope wrote:And I was in the audience when Blues by The Jews (Billy Sunday) was recorded.
Can you hear me?
Glyn
Who was the female and the other singers/musicians on the recording? Thanks in advance.

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”