The seed's been sown,
The Tree is grown,
But hasn't shown its Fruit.
I'll sit and wait here at its Roots.
Matthew Weckworth( 1987-2012)
fishfishquaileye

Re: Matthews poem

Post by fishfishquaileye »

I read Matthew's obituary and I send his family all condolences and best wishes for the loss of such a fine young man.
Lazysuit

Post by Lazysuit »

That's a beautiful poem. Very. God Bless x
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've also gone and read Matthew's obituary and saw the photo of his bright face that matches perfectly the description of him. A loss of a unique man. He made the most of his life and how heartbreaking for all of you that it ended so soon. My heart is with all of you and what have to be his many friends and loved ones. Thank you for bringing your and his poem here to share with us in his honour. At first I wondered if he had written it, and if so it seemed he must have known of his brief future. Now, it seems you wrote it as a tribute to him. Either way, it's a beautiful poem that so clearly addresses so much of what we think about when we consider death. This line is especially striking in the way it's expressed: "We'll stay til Time runs out of Years."

Did Matthew get to see Leonard perform on his last tour? I so hope so.

Again, thank you, weckworth.
May G~d and much love be with and surround you.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
weckworth

Post by weckworth »

Matthew wrote this poem 2 years ago...God granted him much wisdom and faith...He did see Leonard 's "Live in London" concert and said "I will go to concerts for the rest of my life, and nothing will ever top that". Leonard is coming thru Saskatoon this Nov 20th and my husband and I and Matthew's 4 younger sisters are all going in honor of Matthew..thank you all for your kind words.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It sounds as though you may be Matthew's mother... or maybe an aunt... or a dear friend. My heart is with you whether you are or are not. It's a truth one hears continually, that losing a child is the greatest loss of all... and I believe that. Such a beautiful, life-affirming poem that Matthew wrote. He had a unique ability to isolate the key factors of the life process and bring them all together in a flowing and cogent way. A real gift. Yes, G~d did grant him much wisdom and faith. Matthew's life was short, by far too short, yet he lived with such a deeper purpose in the way he spent his time. You will find how much truth there was in Matthew's comment about Leonard's concert in London... and your seeing Leonard, too, will honour Matthew, as well as bring you great comfort. There is healing to be found, as well, in Leonard's words, songs, music, and his own being. I'm not surprized that Matthew loved him so much... and I'm grateful that the timing of Leonard's return to the road allowed for Matthew to experience him directly. Thank you so much, again, for sharing Matthew's poem and clarifying for me that was, indeed, written by him, a very wise young man. Please come back here and let us know how it was for you to be at Leonard's concert in November. Your feelings will be intense, I know. May you find some healing, as well.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
PatJames

Post by PatJames »

I worked with Matt in the oil fields of Northern Alberta. We shared a good stretch of time together working side by side, enduring many hard shifts and good beers afterwards. When our mutual friend and foreman at the time told me what had happened, I was torn. I left the rigs behind to travel through the pacific coast, and Matt passed shortly after. He showed me beautiful things like Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and The Big Lebowski, at a time when I needed those things. I remember specifically a fire we had at camp one night, and the vibrancy of life that was Matt, did a back-flip from a standing position multiple times, just to get the right shot. He was too much good for one era to have it felt like. That man was a physical representation of something this world rarely gets to see, but fully enjoys while it is present. I enjoyed him thoroughly, and took in what I could while I could. Weirdly enough my transient travels, and an empty grain car, brought me towards Saskatoon in the spring of 2012. After hopping freight through California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alberta, I was desperate to get out of Calgary, and hopped the first train I could, and after about 3 days of walking 40 kilometers a day, I caught two rides and reached Saskatoon. I thought only of Matt, but yet had no idea he had passed until after finally getting back into what most deem to be "civil living". The energy we leave behind is almost as great as what we display while we are here.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”