Leonard reads his poem dedicated to A M Klein

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
bridger15

Leonard reads his poem dedicated to A M Klein

Postby bridger15 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:40 am

http://sandra-sandrinatajna.blogspot.co ... acher.html
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Leonard Cohen - To a teacher
"To A Teacher" by Leonard Cohen [Dedicated to A. M. Klein (1909-1972)]

Hurt once and for all into silence. A long pain ending without a song to prove it. Who could stand beside you so close to Eden, When you glinted in every eye the held-high razor, shivering every ram and son? And now the silent loony bin, where The shadows live in the rafters like Day-weary bats, Until the turning mind, a radar signal, lures them to exaggerate Mountain-size on the white stone wall Your tiny limp. How can I leave you in such a house? Are there no more saints and wizards to praise their ways with pupils, No more evil to stun with the slap of a wet red tongue? Did you confuse the Messiah in a mirror and rest because he had finally come? Let me cry Help beside you, Teacher. I have entered under this dark roof As fearlessly as an honoured son Enters his father's house.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
tomsakic

Re: Leonard reads his poem dedicated to A M Klein

Postby tomsakic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Well, it's the track from Cohen's latest studio album Dear Heather (2004). The words are actually the poem from Cohen's very old book of poetry The Spice-Box of Earth (1961).

Am I missing something in that blog post? (Well, maybe it's about the paintings in the YouTube clip somebody made to Leonard's song.)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”