Two+ lines from The Favorite Game: Can anyone else identify?

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
charlajoy

Two+ lines from The Favorite Game: Can anyone else identify?

Postby charlajoy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 pm

(From Ch. 7, The Favorite Game)

Lawrence just said to himself: "There must be something written on the fiery water. An affidavit from God. A detailed destiny chart. The address of his perfect wife. A message choosing him for glory or martyrdom."

I'm 48 years living...I'm like this still....at my age. Anyone else like this? And what do you do with yourself? :!: :?:
lazariuk

Re: Two+ lines from The Favorite Game: Can anyone else identify?

Postby lazariuk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:57 pm

charlajoy wrote:(From Ch. 7, The Favorite Game)

Lawrence just said to himself: "There must be something written on the fiery water. An affidavit from God. A detailed destiny chart. The address of his perfect wife. A message choosing him for glory or martyrdom."

I'm 48 years living...I'm like this still....at my age. Anyone else like this? And what do you do with yourself? :!: :?:
Before being sure that you are not getting messages I guess you would want to be sure that you are where you need to be to receive them but only you would know where your address is.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine what it is true of.
charlajoy

Postby charlajoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:51 pm

lazariuk wrote: Before being sure that you are not getting messages I guess you would want to be sure that you are where you need to be to receive them but only you would know where your address is.
Thanks, Jack, for the sensitive, poetic. Yeah, it's so easy--to know one's address (not), especially for those who know they're frozen twinkies if they don't get it right. There's nothing poetic about that, just to avoid the steely knives. I have half a notion to pull my old poem, which looks small and artificial compared to the feast of the steely knives. So I was reading your comments about your own inspiration and sticking to that, and I suppose that could be my answer, too, but mine tends toward withdrawal of poems instead of the stance against the eaters, who by the way, have been most kind to me, as I can clearly see. Oh well, dipped the big toe in and the water was too cold. You are much braver, probably a college professor or something. I noticed that other people's poetry didn't get the stick like yours, so maybe there's some personal agenda for you; however, it's enough to make me go hiding. Have a good one...
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 pm

charlajoy wrote:Oh well, dipped the big toe in and the water was too cold. You are much braver, probably a college professor or something. I noticed that other people's poetry didn't get the stick like yours, so maybe there's some personal agenda for you; however, it's enough to make me go hiding. Have a good one...
I sure like talking with you so please don't go completely into hiding. I am not brave. I am as much a coward as anyone and also freeze with fear. It's a matter of what one has been accustomed to. I will give you an example.
Some years back when I was walking better than I am now I would walk a lot in bare feet. I liked it. By late in summer my feet could stand what probably others couldn't. One sunday afternoon I was walking by a church that had just been let out and people were standing around talking. The street was recently paved and the sun was very hot and so anyone with half a brain would think that the pavement must be scorching. When I approached the group I could see that many became aware that I was walking barefoot on the hot pavement and I saw that it was causing them far more discomfort than me. I considered playing with that a bit but decided against it.
We look at others sometimes and we pray "Oh my God, do I have to do that?" It's a good question and the answer is probably no.
At the end of one of Leonard's songs he places a question which is
Myself I long for love and light,
but must it come so cruel, and oh so bright?
I've always liked Leonard more for the questions he gave me than for the answers. they are like diamonds
It probably not for me to say but i think that you will find your address in the place you are most comfortable right now. You might think you are looking into the future when you see where others are but that is really just the dead past. A birdie told Leonard not to dwell on it.
I remember another comment leonard once made along the lines of that every time you try to open your heart the arrows will start flying. Be kind to your heart.
“I travel light; as light,
that is, as a man can travel who will
still carry his body around because
of its sentimental value.”
Christopher Fry from that wonderful play "The Lady's Not For Burning"
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine what it is true of.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”