After Hydra (2007)

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
tomsakic

After Hydra (2007)

Postby tomsakic » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:52 pm

So I am safely back & online; just arrived this morning, after two nights and one day long ride on a train from Athens to Zagreb via Thessaloniki, Macedonia, and Serbia. It was quite a task, without stops, restaurant, and water in the train; and I did it two times in a week!

Hydra - can't describe the feeling of it:-))

Are others safe and alive? I heard only from Jarkko so far, and with Dem via SMS on Monday evening. I hope that, after we come down from the clouds, we will get all the photos and small page on the Files.

The semi-official part: video show didn't work due to technical (un)support, Lizzytysh lost her voice, and Henning previewed his new work, Ten New Poems Taken From Book of Longing and Set to Music (Not Leonard's). :P As I didn't have chance yet to hear Philip Glass's take on it, so far Henning rocks:-)

ps. Oops, in midst of Jarkko's many Mythos we forgot to talk about the Forum! Anyhow I can't recall much - except that I had many many ouzos........ :-))
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: After Hydra (2007)

Postby jarkko » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:05 pm

in midst of Jarkko's many Mythos we forgot to talk about the Forum! Anyhow I can't recall much - except that I had many many ouzos........

Hmm... maybe you were looking for more ouzos every time this topic was treated?? 8)
Dem

Postby Dem » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:44 pm

ok with the ouzos
but what about the girls?

Hey, Tom!
Look at that girl over there! :P

Dem
Laura

Postby Laura » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:01 am

"Actually", Tom, I heard you had some Metaxa too...
I'm glad you are safely back home (I am still impressed by your train rides-and still think you are crazy!); I just came tonight too, and, oh God, I miss Hydra!! Took me 10 mins this afternoon to be able to cross a street in Athens (and I almost got a headache in the process). Cars?! Why do we need cars, really?!! I miss the walks, I miss you all... and I will write some more when I manage to make some sense.
Laura
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:09 am

Hydra was great - except for one careless oversight by Tim (my son) and me, which resulted in the theft of 50/60 Euros! :( Anyway, it won't spoil Hydra for me! :D

Right now, I'm in hot and humid Singapore in a daze, after being in Paris yesterday, with Tim in provincial France on Monday/Tuesday and Hydra/Athens at the start of the week! Tomorrow I'll be back in Brisbane and (no doubt) totally spun out! :wink:

Dem, talk me into another ouzo please! :lol:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Sophia

Postby Sophia » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 am

Tom, please eat something with your ouzo (unless you have drunk it already!)

Dem, are you still "burnt by the sun"?

Laura, try to come back to earth, I try, without result!

Take care, I miss you all!

Sophia
Anne

Postby Anne » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Hydra was beautiful. Thankfully, it is hot back home in Toronto now, too. It was wonderful to see old friends and to meet new people. There is some kind of special energy that comes out in Hydra. The food tastes fantastic. Everything is funny or moving. God, it is a great place to have a great time.
Henning

Postby Henning » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:35 pm

Back home again. It's been a great time. It was almost too difficult to arrange places for dinner because of the large crowd. I didn't take any pictures but my siblings captured some great stuff and we will forward it to Jarkko asap. My brother in law shot all donkeys on Hydra ... with his camera, which drove my sister nuts. Here is the setlist of the BOL concert:

How Could I Have Doubted
When I Went Out
Dusko's Taverna 1967
Travelling Light #31
Opened My Eyes
Looking Away
Split
Dear Diary
My Baby Was Not There
Need The Speed

Thanks to my sister Kerstin for joining me on the last two songs. Thanks to the listeners for the silent attention and thanks to Nikolas for his friendship, passion and the guitar.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
andrea

thanks to hydra group from Marco

Postby andrea » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Dear friends,
I appreciated sooooooo much your birthday greetings card it was such a nice surprise thanks a lot :lol:
and of course I missed having Mythos with you.
I did toast with Andrea (with italian beer) on you lucky guys on Hydra the birthday evening and we hope next time we do not have to miss the Hydra holidays with all of YOU,
so long, mille grazie
Marco

Ken I did miss your flower this birthday ;-)
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
Dem

Postby Dem » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:13 pm

Sophia:

I was burnt by the sun
said good bye to the sea
Your eyes told the tale
of a wound that's still raw
as I watched you renouncing
any hope of a cure

You see darling,
for sunburns there's always Bepanthol
but there ain't no cure for love!

Dem
Sophia

Postby Sophia » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:19 pm

...I'm lost amongst the shadows that remain:

Do I have time to arrange for another LC song in Hydronetta?

Sophia
Laura

Postby Laura » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:42 pm

Sophia wrote:
Do I have time to arrange for another LC song in Hydronetta?

Sophia
Only if we all sing it together...
What a beautiful picture... But I don't remember seeing that, where did you take it?
Laura
Anna S.

Postby Anna S. » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Hey everybody!

Some of you might remember me from Hydra (that 5'9'' ft- Pole ; ))
To all the others, hello.

Our journey home went well, thank you.
Hydra. Five days on, I'm still Hydragenized. It was so magical, being with you people. It was like a big kiss from the sun. Wish Hydra was there on my bookshelf for me to walk into, the way I can walk into a book at my leisure.
Can't put that into words, either. Let someone else summarize my feelings, then:

In old Arabic poetry love, song, blood, and travel appear as four basic desires of the human heart and the only effective means against our fear of death. Thus travel is elevated to the dignity of the elementary needs of humankind. "To sail is necessary, to live is not" (Navigare est necesse, vivere non est necesse) - these words were, according to Plutarch, pronounced by a Roman before the departure of a ship in tempestuous weather. Whatever practical reasons push people out of their homes to seek adventure, travel undoubtedly removes us from familiar sights and from everyday routine. It offers to us a pristine world seen for the first time and is a poweful means of inducing wonder. And since poetry is an expression of wondering at things, landscapes, people, their habits and mores, poetry and travel are allied.
/Czeslaw Milosz: A Book of Luminous Things, San Diego, Harcourt, Brace & Co, 1998, p. 75/

And here's a little treat, with a dedication from me to all of you who were there to create the magical time, those who were there in spirit (especially the spirit of ouzo ; )) and those who'd made it all possible. For those desperate for a link with Leonard, this was written during Milosz's stay in California, not far from Leonard's current home. See if it fits your mood. It's rather calming and sense-giving.

GIFT

A day so happy.
Fog lifted early, I worked in the garden.
Hummingbirds were stopping over honeysuckle flowers.
There was no thing on earth I wanted to possess.
I knew no one worth my envying him.
Whatever evil I had suffered, I forgot.
To think that once I was the same man did not embarrass me.
In my body I felt no pain.
When straightening up, I saw the blue sea and sails.
Berkeley, 1971
/Qtd. in: Raymond Carver: A New Path to the Watefall, New York, The Atlantic Monthly Press, 1989, p. xi/

PS Pardon my annoying habit of referencing everything. A professional perversion. : P
Dem

Postby Dem » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Sophia:

Hurry up!

Dem
Dem

Postby Dem » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Anna S. :

And Milosz brought you
The spring this year
Who else your hunger
Could better nourish ?
Made waves in the neighborhood
Your ivory coach
Become beautiful
He’ll exposes you in the gardens

You die with the poets
Every sunset
Your hands smell
From their hair
The bell rings
You no more believe
In a strange courtyard
You converse with the moon

You have a smile
Made of pearls
That Sicilian fishermen
Arranged for you
Search and find it
Before the night locks you up
In a basement deeper
Than this.

Dem

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”