The Hydra Meetup 2011 - Reports and Photo Links

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
Actually

Re: Hydra meetup in June 2011

Post by Actually »

Great pictures! Maybe someday I'll make it there as well - not sure about the hiking though! :D
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Maarten...what a sensory overload! wow. When one quickly forwards through your fabulous photos it's almost like a movie. Thoughts...hopefully everyone who sweated their way uphill to the monastery will receive special blessings! The descent looked much nicer (think I might have hooked up with the moustache guy who had the donkeys ;-). Wonderful to see so many familiar faces, including you in a few photos. And wonderful to experience vicariously the stunning island of Hydra! Thank you so so much!!

ps: Stamatina....you are lovely!

Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What is the truly inspirational 20-minute dance by Anne all about, Stamatina??
Please describe what she did, how she danced, and the music? Greek or something else?
She's a very poetic person, so I could imagine her being the same as a dancer, but I'm so curious!
I know too well your sadness in leaving.

Your photos of Hydra just sparkle with clarity, Maarten!
I know it's the light there, as well as the sunshine, but it's also your photography.
Beautiful!!!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hey Maarten, thanks so much for another set of fab photos... and so quickly dispatched... the last Mythos's would hardly have hit the bottom of the stomachs at Roloi by the time you sent your photos! ;-)

Stamatina, your words are so sweet and touching (and inclusive) - it was so nice you could experience that and Sophia is to be applauded in no small measure for ensuring you could join the Cohenites on this happy occasion. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Andrew (Darby) wrote:Sophia is to be applauded in no small measure for ensuring you could join the Cohenites on this happy occasion. 8)
I KNOW! I really don't want to imagine what I would have done without her! She's the one I should thank the most. :D
Andrew (Darby) wrote:... the last Mythos's would hardly have hit the bottom of the stomachs at Roloi by the time you sent your photos! ;-)
same goes for the Cokes! :roll:
lizzytysh wrote:What is the truly inspirational 20-minute dance by Anne all about, Stamatina??
Nah, well..she said there was too much sitting involved in this meet-up on Saturday, so she took me and some others, I can't remember who, as it was dark in there, to the Pirate Bar (I think that's how it was called) and danced for about twenty minutes. The music was music made for clubs: little melody, plenty of beat and quite noisy. I danced, too, but I think I've never seen anyone dance better than Anne in a club. :razz: That's the spirit!
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
anneporter

Hydra meetup in June 2011

Post by anneporter »

Well, Stamatina, I want to thank YOU for that joy that flowed through you and from you like an irrepressible fountain, washing over all of us. And for letting the joy shine through in the photos of you. I can't imagine a better companion than you for my next trip to Hydra. I hope we can make it happen!
And as for the dancing: "If I have to remember, that's a fine memory..."
newfoundland--understand?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a beautiful exchange between you two 8) .

I remember that dance scene at the Pirate Bar. Became very engaged in it when a couple Greek women danced with me, with one taking my scarf and wrapping it about herself. At the end, she returned it, but the dancing at the Pirate is full immersion. I would love to have seen all of you and what Anne has said about you here speaks volumes... and it shows in your photos, Stamatina... don't have anyone remove a single one.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

lizzytysh wrote:and it shows in your photos, Stamatina...
Told you, I've never been happier.
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Thanks Maarten for the pictures! SO many familiar and dear faces!
I gess you had a good time together! Let's hope I'll be there next time!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Lord Mickey of One

Post by Lord Mickey of One »

oh, were there other people there as well?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64066405@N02/?saved=1
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Beautiful shots Lord Mickey. You 2 lovebirds must have been in your nest all the time when the other photos were being taken. Thanks so much for sharing. You look great together
Lord Mickey of One

Post by Lord Mickey of One »

tinderella wrote:Beautiful shots Lord Mickey. You 2 lovebirds must have been in your nest all the them when the other photos were being taken. Thanks so much for sharing. You look great together
I wouldn't go out and mix because I was sulking you didn't come. Justyna wouldn't go out and mix in case people realised she was with me! One morning we finally got up the courage to speak to other Cohen fans and, en masse, they ran up a mountain to escape me, shouting "we would rather go to a monastery than speak to you". What a rude and horrible bunch of people.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I have uploaded another 20 photographs of the final morning on Hydra (added at the end of the photo album). Please be aware that you will be confronted with a somewhat famous BVB supporter going crazy...
http://www.maartenmassa.be/images/Album ... index.html

Maarten
(looking forward to Hydra 2013)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Maarten wrote:looking forward to Hydra 2013
Me too! Let's hope nothing will happen to stop me going next time round ......

Wendy
(on the mend but still banned from travelling and
still needing daily medical attention)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Great photos as usual Maarten. Hope I get there next time

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”