HYDRA MEET-UP 2009 REPORT

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: MEET-UP 2009 REPORT

Post by jarkko »

We have now uploaded about 150 selected photos shot by Eija to this gallery: http://cohen.1g.fi/kuvat/Hydra-2009/
There are two pages of photos, and by clicking on any of the thumbnails you will see a bigger picture, and if you click on it, an even larger one.
We have added some names and comments already, but more will come during the weekend.

We have tried to show as many participants as possible, but still we have missed some (or the quality of the photo was too low to be included).

Most photos are from Roloi, the harbor area, the monastery walk, or the Castello Restaurant.
We will be happy to add photos to this gallery, especially of participants who are not shown in the existing photos.
However, before sending us any original size pics, please send first just thumbnails (50 kB or something).

Eija & Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Henning

Post by Henning »

Back again and at work already. One week on Hydra with friends and greek salad always gives enough energy for the rest of the year. Great photos from Anne and Eija already shown here, more to come I suppose. It was a bit strange to see Nikolas work for the other restaurant but he never missed to join us for the singing after a hard day of work. Jarkko well organized, Russel, Joe, Ken and Eric in superior mood to entertain us all with their wit, women singing like angels (Sue, Paula, Anne), the big Irish contingent and their fan (me), the modified baby beach, the magic of Hydra, the family around - what more can one ask for. Can't wait for the next session in 2011. Here is a photo with Anne some were asking for.
Attachments
Small_IMG_1146.jpg
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Henning

Post by Henning »

My favorite Hydra photo this year:
Attachments
Small_IMG_1163.jpg
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Laura

Post by Laura »

Now I'm beginning to remember... Anne, were you Henning's back-up angel on sunday night?

Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OMG! You SING, too!?! C'mon, Anne... fair's fair. Get up off ONE of them, so some of the rest of us can have it to do well ;-) .

Haiku, photograph, and sing, too ~ all like an angel 8) . I'm so glad to finally see your face 8) :D 8) . I love 'seeing' who I'm talking with... and now I can. Really sluggin' that water, too, weren't you ;-) ? The Wild Woman of Hydra ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Where was that cool photo taken, Henning?
~ Oscar Wilde
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

linmag wrote:Image
Meeeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! =O

So, you enjoyed yourselves, didn't you? I'll be there next time, I hope. :)
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Great photos... lovely to see so many familiar faces.... that's it... I will not miss next time. Keep the stories and photos coming. Terrific.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Lizzy - I shot that at the very last moment before my departure when I was strolling around one last time and went thru the small paths of the harbour side where the shops are. That puppet man with the smoking pipe had a button to his feet and it played some melody as soon as the little boy pressed it. And he did it again and again. I wish we can press that Hydra button several times more.
IT'S DARKER NOW
Actually

Post by Actually »

Amazing pictures... What a landscape... I hope that one time I can make it down there...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah, thanks, Henning. A great discovery to bid you goodbye. Everyone is just lined up so perfectly, too. Very cool.

I agree, Stamatina. They both look soooooo healthy, too ~ as you know, not always so :( . At least the cats of Hydra are blessed with not having fleas. Thanks for thinking of me when you saw the cats, Linda and Sue; as you say, that would have been a fair amount of the time ;-) .
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, gosh... Melancholy Central here. A table full of friends 8) ... Willy, Wijbe, Jarkko, Eija, Frauke, and there's my sweet, dear, young friend, Nathalie... hair growing and a bit red there ;-) ~ I like it. And Willy, I have that EXACT, SAME fan :D ... just figures, somehow, doesn't it :D ? You look your normal, gorgeous and engaging self... and with that wonderful husband of yours who's the same 8) .

And there's my Russel man... walking the harbour alone :lol: ; then trekking up to the monastery in your pyjama bottoms? Thinking you might spend the night ;-) ? I LOVE the narrow staircase shot at the monastery. And the shots of kittens all balled up in your hands. And is that DORON on HYDRA :shock: 8) !?! WoW... I'm so pleased to see you made it there to join the group, Doron :D ! Hey, Ute and Sinikka... haha. The trip to the monastery is still a trip, isn't it?

It's SUPER seeing Nickolas/Nicholas joining in... now that he's a 'free' man, Roloi is his for pleasure... his and ours. The painting that people do on and around their houses to highlight the flowers and the lighting of the island is glorious as ever. And I don't know who the woman is, but I sure do like her Japanese-style umbrella. Perfect for the island. And Laura with more of her fabulous, handcrafted jewelry.

And Sam ~ how can you be smiling in that full-bodied, full-faced incredible way, when I'm looking at a bottle of Mythos and can't reach out and take a single sip of it :cry: . How could you... smile so gloriously in the midst of my sorrow? Huh?!? I LOVE your top, Sophia... you look so, uhm... Greek! Jarkko... you're looking mighty happy in that photo ;-) . And Linda's sweet, Sweet husband, John... contemplating whether you left enough for a tip, or taking just a fewwwww more peanuts with you :) ?

Love seeing the Irish contingency having such an as-always great time. DOLORES :D !!! Are you suuuuuure that's not your RED umbrella that I found at the NY Event and tried to return to you on Hydra?? I'd have sworn it was at the time, and I'm swearing it even more now :lol: . Can you hear me ;-) ? Cuz you sure look like you're teasing me about it with that smile.

Jurgen! Making sure THAT guitar doesn't get away from you, aren't you :lol: ? Won't take much to ID it. Did you bring any more of your fabulous books with you?

Dear, sweet, Mrs. Evangelia... so glad to see Demetris, Jarkko, and Eija with her in photos. AH!!! THERE you ARE, ELKE!!! Where were you hiding her, Henning?? You look great as always, girl!

Hydra looks every bit as beautiful as ever. I LOVE the close-up of the bird, the white pigeon/dove with the grey-spackled head... and way back there earlier... was that a dog :lol: ?? OMG, Eija... that lane is heaven! Hydra is just so beautiful.

I swear I've met that woman somewhere ~ the one with the longish, salt & pepper hair and great smile in photo #IMG_5745. Must be Liesbeth??? ... was it in New York where I saw her? Dominique on the right looks like she could be her sister. And Sue, great, bright blue t-shirt with Leonard's unified-hearts symbol. I like that colour! And it looks good on her :) . Leonard's t-shirt looks great on you, too, Russel 8) . GORGEOUS, Japanese 'robe,' Doron 8) ! It looks like you, Marco, and Andrea stayed where Paula, Megan, and I stayed when we went together. And there's DAVE ~ Dave Everatt! I keep remembering all the people who were going as I see their photos. It's wonderful seeing Lizzie and Peter enjoying themselves on the island... even though, once again, I'm only seeing them in photos. Is the pretty woman with the short-styled, red, curly-wavy hair, Paula?

I was just going to ask if that was Anna from Poland... and then saw that it sure is! Isn't that Ute, though, that she's with! Great photo of you two! I love the photo of Nellie and Miriam, having your picture taken... great lighting! Captures the warmth of your friendship. It's so good to see you, Sheila and Helen! Too little time in New York! I love the way you have your necklace, Kerstin... quiet and classy, as always :) .

PERFECT photo of you, Laura ~ #IMG_5894! Great, full pose... and your smile captures your playful spirit. WoW, WoW, WoW ~ the Castello at Night 8) ! So many new beautiful faces. How I look forward to being with our Hydra, again. I look forward to one day hanging out with you there, Ella, our dear anneporter, and Judy. Thank you, again, for everything, Jarkko and Eija. If it weren't for you...

So very effective, Eija. As the sun sets once again on Hydra, and we see the Castello at night... and, finally, the melancholy of Hydra in its yesteryears. After such an incredible rendezvous with your photos, as I meandered my way through; the last two brought me to tears.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Laura,
We find the easiest way to get Irishmen to dance is to mix a little Newfoundland music with the the Cohen...
1.jpg
then the women don't even have to tear their blouses off...
1.jpg
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Another Hydra peak: Paula reading a poetic trbute to our man at Christina and Manolis's
1.jpg
1.jpg
Laura

Post by Laura »

Oh dear, Anne... looks like I missed one or two interesting things on Hydra... ;-)

Laura

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”